Travel Which countries have you been to & would never go back to?

I don't think there's anywhere I won't go back to, but Paris wasn't my favorite the first time I went, then I loved it more than I could possibly imagine when I went the second time, and I could go again and again.

Vienna was really boring to me, but I think I did it all wrong. It was the first overseas city I had ever been to, and I didn't know about trip advisor (did they have it back then?) and didn't do much of anything exciting. The food was terrible too.

Specifically Amsterdam. Very trashy.
me too! I was glad when I "got out".
I met so many rude people. I guess it is a different attitude, very different from the Viennese way of life.
I got almost depressed and this says a lot.
So no Netherlands for me any more.

The country I wish to re-visit again and agin is Russia. Contrary to many believes the people were very welcoming.

I realize: people are my most important criteria.

The country I wish to re-visit again and agin is Russia. Contrary to many believes the people were very welcoming.

I agree. Russians may seem rude because they look at everyone new as a potential enemy (true story). But once you beat through this, they become the most loyal and devoted friends.

Sadly, my two "origin" countries left something to be desired. The first was Peru: the people were very sketchy, the food was questionable, and the whole experience was borderline dangerous. Driving was the sketchiest thing--seriously, taxi drives and bus drives were a gamble with your life. I'm not sure I'll be returning to Peru.

The second was Italy: granted, we were only in Florence, but the people were SO rude, and they frankly left me embarrassed to be Italian. Perhaps the rudest thing I can think of was that people in Florence do not respect/use lines! It was so odd. But...I will happily return to Italy--and even Florence--because it's so darn gorgeous, and the food is amazing.

Reactions: lovely_bag
me too! I was glad when I "got out".
I met so many rude people. I guess it is a different attitude, very different from the Viennese way of life.
I got almost depressed and this says a lot.
So no Netherlands for me any more.

It's interesting how personal experiences really shape people's perspectives of a country. I would say the exact opposite about Amsterdam and the Netherlands in general. Everyone I met and dealt with was super friendly and helpful and welcoming. I loved it there.

Sadly, my two "origin" countries left something to be desired. The first was Peru: the people were very sketchy, the food was questionable, and the whole experience was borderline dangerous. Driving was the sketchiest thing--seriously, taxi drives and bus drives were a gamble with your life. I'm not sure I'll be returning to Peru.

The second was Italy: granted, we were only in Florence, but the people were SO rude, and they frankly left me embarrassed to be Italian. Perhaps the rudest thing I can think of was that people in Florence do not respect/use lines! It was so odd. But...I will happily return to Italy--and even Florence--because it's so darn gorgeous, and the food is amazing.

Same thing about Peru. It was one of the most luxurious trips I've ever had. The best hotels, the best restaurants and food, not sketchy at all and one of the safest Latin countries I've been to.

Re: lines, if it bothered you that much in Italy, be warned, you will go crazy in most of Asia and South America. I'd say Japan is pretty much the only exception of the places I've been to.

I have to agree with Dubai. It lacked soul. I found it to be very similar to Las Vegas, and I don't particularly enjoy Las Vegas (at least what I have experienced there).

Paris: I have been there twice, alone. Not a great time and people weren't friendly. I think I would reconsider based on returning with company.

It's interesting how personal experiences really shape people's perspectives of a country. I would say the exact opposite about Amsterdam and the Netherlands in general. Everyone I met and dealt with was super friendly and helpful and welcoming. I loved it there.

Same thing about Peru. It was one of the most luxurious trips I've ever had. The best hotels, the best restaurants and food, not sketchy at all and one of the safest Latin countries I've been to.

Re: lines, if it bothered you that much in Italy, be warned, you will go crazy in most of Asia and South America. I'd say Japan is pretty much the only exception of the places I've been to.

Dually noted - I think that Asia is not in the card for me ;)

Besides Japan, there are many Asian countries where people are respectful and mindful about lining up in an orderly fashion... Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Taiwan, Hong Kong and S. Korea come to mind, based on my personal experiences...

Totally agree with Amsterdam/The Netherlands. In my opinion, the people there are some of the friendliest in the world, and funnily, it's very close from Germany. Lol.

Besides Japan, there are many Asian countries where people are respectful and mindful about lining up in an orderly fashion... Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Taiwan, Hong Kong and S. Korea come to mind, based on my personal experiences...

I would respectfully disagree about Korea. Line culture is pretty new here and while it exists in some spaces it's lacking in a lot of others.

On the other hand, it's not like lines are necessarily a superior way of organizing people, it's just the way a lot of us are used to. =)

It's interesting how personal experiences really shape people's perspectives of a country. I would say the exact opposite about Amsterdam and the Netherlands in general. Everyone I met and dealt with was super friendly and helpful and welcoming. I loved QUOTE]

I agree with you. I absolutely loved my 2 visits to Amsterdam. People were incredibly helpful and pleasant.

Even when I've been to places that initially weren't welcoming to visitors, with effort I've managed to get to an agreeable place with them. The only places that were negative from beginning to end were Paris (sorry to all the Francophiles) and Geneva. It felt like they really didn't want visitors.