Where do you get your cashmere?

I wash my own sweaters all of the time, especially because I don’t like the feel of the dry cleaning finish on my knits. Cashmere in particular “blooms” when hand washed which is what makes them so much softer after the first wash.

If you really don’t want to hand wash, put the garment in one of those mesh bags first. The agitation from the washer will “felt” the garment no matter how gentle your delicates cycle. Roll the sweater in a towel when it comes out of the machine. But to reshape when drying, you will have to “block” the sweater. This may be more than you want to undertake, but here is a link:

I know there is a lot of ire about how Unilever handled The Laundress recall, but irrespective of the detergent used, the care tips on their site are solid.

The ruffling is happening because the cashmere is relaxing when it gets wet, and the ribbing of the waistband pulls the fabric in more so than the other part of the sweater. By blocking when the sweater is wet, you are forcing it to stat in the shape you want while drying.
Update... I tried to stretch it out, especially the waistband, but it's still ruffly. Bummer. Based on your thoughts and others, I think handwash is the way to go. Thanks again for your post... super insightful as to what I was doing wrong!

This is a great article on how to hand wash which I am sure experts here know exactly what to do.
It talks about SOAK, which I plan to use. However, when reading this article, I got freaked out again...

See that gray roundneck sweater in the photo when it is laid out to dry? Notice the ruffled waistband! :annoyed::heart:
That's what I do not like.. it looks horrible to me. That is what machine washing did to both my cashmere sweaters, and it makes a sweater look old and beat up.
My dry clean sweaters have perfectly flat waistbands, and they look like the day when they were brand new.

@QuelleFromage and @morejunkny
Can you please check your waistband on your fine knits and let me know if handwash still keeps them nice and flat? I am trying to see if it's just the nature of the waistband when it gets wet and you have to "rinse" with water. Or, if you use SOAK or a no-rinse solution, it may prevent that ruffling.

Honestly, the sweater in the photo just does not look good to me, but it may just be me and not bother other people. That ruffle at the waistband will not flatten out. It's now stuck that way.

1703690727148.png

This is a great article on how to hand wash which I am sure experts here know exactly what to do.
It talks about SOAK, which I plan to use. However, when reading this article, I got freaked out again...

See that gray roundneck sweater in the photo when it is laid out to dry? Notice the ruffled waistband! :annoyed::heart:
That's what I do not like.. it looks horrible to me. That is what machine washing did to both my cashmere sweaters, and it makes a sweater look old and beat up.
My dry clean sweaters have perfectly flat waistbands, and they look like the day when they were brand new.

Can you please check your waistband on your fine knits and let me know if handwash still keeps them nice and flat? I am trying to see if it's just the nature of the waistband when it gets wet and you have to "rinse" with water. Or, if you use SOAK or a no-rinse solution, it may prevent that ruffling.

Honestly, the sweater in the photo just does not look good to me, but it may just be me and not bother other people. That ruffle at the waistband will not flatten out. It's now stuck that way.

View attachment 5918389
I know what you mean! I haven't had this, but most of my knits don't have ribbed waistbands. I do have one that needs a wash so will experiment as soon as a new bottle of SOAK comes.

Wanted to pop in to share a discovery around cashmere care: SOAK. I found it through The Wirecutter. It's a "no-rinse" wool (or silk) cleaner and I've used it to fairly quickly hand-wash quite a few cashmeres now. Made my favorite giant The Row sweater super soft. I just wash in cold water, blot in a big towel, and then dry flat on a rack. Takes minutes (except for the drying part! That Row sweater took more than a day!).

Also a vote here for Majestic Filatures cashmere t-shirts and pulls, which are very casual styles. Mine are holding up super well (with aforementioned SOAK) and not pilling.

So far on my cashmeres the pilling-est are Lisa Yang - very disappointed in her quality. Joseph pills a lot too, and so much that once you comb it off it becomes thin...which is disappointing as I love their designs. My Row pieces are kind of 50/50. My Bompards pill but it comes off easily and they last well. La Ligne I only have one cashmere piece and it's only mildly pilling, but it's not as soft as I would like. So far, my Loro is not pilling 🤞 hope it stays that way!
My favourite, especially the pineapple scent. Plus as a Canadian it’s nice to buy a Canadian made product as I can get it easily. It’s all I wash my knits and silks in.

I like Eucalan also.

For the waistband, have you tried pinning it into the shape you want when it is drying?
I didn't pin it. I stretched it out while it was still wet and then let it dry flat. I think my two sweaters are a lost cause because even when I tried to stretch it, it did stretch, but the ruffles/waves at the waistband never went away, even when wet. They dried that way too. The ruffle/wavy waistband might not bother others, but I couldn't wear a sweater that looks like that.

My sweater's ruffly waistband looks just like the photo above from the article. The author of that article does not think that waistband looks bad (or the sleeves) else that sweater would not have been in the photo, so it's preference as to how one likes their knits to look.

What I really liked about machine/hand wash was that the sweaters came out a bit more softer than dry clean. Dry clean is still very soft, not stiff at all, but the wash made it even softer which I really liked. Dry cleaning from a chemical use perspective does not bother me; my main reason for machine/hand wash is the extra bit of softness.
I will try and hand wash with SOAK one of my chunky sweaters that does not have a waistband and see how it turns out.

My gut feels say if I can't wash all my sweaters and have to dry clean some, I'll just end up with dry cleaning all of them.
Hand wash is too spooky. Kind of bummed at everyone says it's so easy, and yes, it is easy. However, it does not turn out perfect, like new.

I swear by Eucalan as well.
My favorite source for cashmere is N.Peal. My most recent purchase is a nice heavier weight cashmere oversized pullover. Haven't needed to wash it yet.
Hi! Another N. Peal lover! Your pullover sounds lovely.

Cardigans are trending now, and in case you have not seen this cardigan.... I love this style.
It is super soft, I love the cable texture, and the cropped length (not too short) is perfect for wide leg jeans. I bought it in Baroque Gold, which is a beautiful mustard yellow. I bought it at full price, but this color is now part of their winter sale.
I wear it as a sweater, solo, not layerd, which is the trend now and I love how it looks.

I wanted to share as FYI in case you might be interested. I think I will get it in the New Ivory White too as an ivory cropped, chunky, textured, cashmere cardigan is hard to find. I am going to wait a few more days until after the new year to see if the ivory color goes on sale. :smile: :heart:

Last edited:
Hi! I agree with you on Lisa Yang.. big disappointment for me, and I do not buy her pieces anymore. I put Lisa Yang and Khaite together, more fast fashion than quality cashmere.

I put N. Peal in the same league as Loro. N. Peal is a UK luxury brand, and they focus on cashmere. I bought a lot of their pieces, and not one piece has pilled. I am very impressed, it is also very soft. some pieces softer than Loro Piana. N. Peal has their own goats in Inner Mongolia which has the best cashmere and they also select the long fibers.

I live in the US, but not in NYC. There is a N. Peal in NYC, and you can bring your cashmere pieces to that boutique, and they will clean it for free! They also accomodate bespoke requests. I purchased a big shawl cardigan, and I wanted to add a belt to create a more structured look. They were able to knit a matching belt for me (took 4 weeks). You can also order pieces in other colors too. I really like this brand.

Here is the cardigan I purchased that I had a belt added. They have beautiful sweaters too.

On SOAK, did your cashmere waistband area ruffle? That's the most annoying part for me. For now, I'm sticking with dry clean. Do you also SOAK fine knits? This would be finer cashmere knits like a classic roundneck that has a waistband at the bottom. I would think chunky knits would be fine since it's so chunky and not "smooth" so to speak.

Thanks for sharing about SOAK. Maybe I will cave and handwash. Gah! It's so much effort, but maybe it's easier with SOAK since I can just roll up the sweater and not have to rinse. I am sure it will be fine for my chunky knits, so maybe I will try one of those next and not a fine knit cashmere. Going to order a bottle of SOAK now! Thanks again.
How does the sizing run? Do you feel N. Peal is true to US sizing? Or feel you need to size up/down? I guess I should add I always have a problem in that i have a large bust but not large shoulder size.

Reactions: BigAkoya
How does the sizing run? Do you feel N. Peal is true to US sizing? Or feel you need to size up/down? I guess I should add I always have a problem in that i have a large bust but not large shoulder size.
I found for the most part, the sizing was close fitting. I would need an XL in most N.Peal classic designs. The sweater I chose is oversized. I got size small in this design and it is plenty roomy for me.

PRODUCT DETAILS​

Style Ref: NPW107613_F61
A glorious new oversized cashmere design for this season.
- Made from 100% Mongolian Organic Cashmere
- Oversized and easy wear
- Flattering V neck design
- Side splits
- Volumous sleeve
- Fabulous layering piece
- Wonderfully comfortable and supersoft
- Model is wearing size Small
- Care: Hand Wash
- Organic cashmere: organic dyes and detergents, free from fertilizer and pesticides, find out more here

I found for the most part, the sizing was close fitting. I would need an XL in most N.Peal classic designs. The sweater I chose is oversized. I got size small in this design and it is plenty roomy for me.

PRODUCT DETAILS​

Style Ref: NPW107613_F61
A glorious new oversized cashmere design for this season.
- Made from 100% Mongolian Organic Cashmere
- Oversized and easy wear
- Flattering V neck design
- Side splits
- Volumous sleeve
- Fabulous layering piece
- Wonderfully comfortable and supersoft
- Model is wearing size Small
- Care: Hand Wash
- Organic cashmere: organic dyes and detergents, free from fertilizer and pesticides, find out more here
That is very helpful!

Reactions: CoastalCouture
Hi! For me, I found N Peal true to size. I am 5' 2", 108lb, and I like to wear a small for sweaters. The N. Peal small fits me perfect on me. I am small busted, and there is definitely room in the bust for larger size ladies. To me, N. Peal cuts for a lady's classic fit, not the "modern fit" like cheaper lines cut which can be tight in the bust and upper arms.

This tidbit may also help...
One pet peeve of mine (among other pet peeves :biggrin: :heart:) are sweaters where the upper arm is too tight and the armpit is cut too high which makes upper arms look like sausage arms. I find N. Peal's upper arm and armpit cut perfect. It's a nice clean arm look, not too loose and definitely not too tight. Of course, for their oversized sweaters, the overall fit is loose including the arms, but I am referring to more tailored looks like the cardigan I posted. Some cropped sweaters have super tight arms which is not my look, but N. Peal's is great. I also have their regular round neck cardigan as well... fits nice too.

When I first started buying N. Peal and was not familiar with their sizing, I purchased a XS and S in every new style. This helped me with peace of mind for my correct fit. All my styles have been small.

You might want to order both sizes as return shipping is free (I live in the US).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: millerc
Hi! For me, I found N Peal true to size. I am 5' 2", 108lb, and I like to wear a small for sweaters. The N. Peal small fits me perfect on me. I am small busted, and there is definitely room in the bust for larger size ladies. To me, N. Peal cuts for a lady's classic fit, not the "modern fit" like cheaper lines cut which can be tight in the bust and upper arms.

This tidbit may also help...
One pet peeve of mine (among other pet peeves :biggrin: :heart:) are sweaters where the upper arm is too tight and the armpit is cut too high which makes upper arms look like sausage arms. I find N. Peal's upper arm and armpit cut perfect. It's a nice clean arm look, not too loose and definitely not too tight. Of course, for their oversized sweaters, the overall fit is loose including the arms, but I am referring to more tailored looks like the cardigan I posted. Some cropped sweaters have super tight arms which is not my look, but N. Peal's is great. I also have their regular round neck cardigan as well... fits nice too.

When I first started buying N. Peal and was not familiar with their sizing, I purchased a XS and S in every new style. This helped me with peace of mind for my correct fit. All my styles have been small.

You might want to order both sizes as return shipping is free (I live in the US).

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much! That helped a lot. On my way to order.

Reactions: BigAkoya
Thank you so much! That helped a lot. On my way to order.
So excited for you! I meant to tell you... you will get a thank you card in your package, and it will say you get a gift with your next purchase. The gift is a cashmere comb and a small bag of cedar balls.

The little cashmere comb may come in handy to crisp up your sweater in the future for any tiny hairs that pop up. I didn't use the cedar balls next to my sweater. Rather, I just hung it up in my closet in the little mesh bag it came with. The smell is very gentle and pleasant.

Anyway, this is just FYI in case you like the brand and decide to buy another piece. Be sure to read/save the thank you card and look for the coupon code to get your little gift on your next order.

Reactions: millerc

View attachment 5918389
Hello BigAkoya, I don’t know if you’ve solved the problem of your rippling sweater bottoms when you hand wash or machine wash. I think the only solution is to block them. I suspect what is happening is the sweaters’s ribbing (the bottom band) is not losing its shape during the washing process because ribbing is more springy and resilient in holding its shape and typically ribbing is a smaller circumference than the body of a sweater. The body of the sweater is then stretching a little more during washing. Blocking puts knits back into their shape. I was a voracious hand knitter in a past life and I dry clean everything because knits need to be blocked after washing if you want them to look spiffy. I just can’t be bothered to block.