What’s your unpopular Hermes opinion?

UO and apologies if this offends but…. Why oh why:wtf::facepalm::tdown::panic::confused1::eek: It’s not visually appealing, it damages the bag, and the only convenience it provides is free training for amateur pickpocketers.

To make this a super duper UO, H should require clients to sign an agreement to never wear their Kelly in this manner or else they get banned from acquiring another Kelly :wave:

There I’ve said it, throw stones at me now!

View attachment 5987396View attachment 5987397View attachment 5987398View attachment 5987399View attachment 5987400View attachment 5987401
I can literally hear them screaming: Please close me up

Ok, so possibly an unpopular opinion.. I think anyone who owns the bag should be able to wear / treat said bag however they like!

I totally understand the no open Kelly thing and nothing at all against anyone who thinks they should be closed. I didn't like to leave mine open for fear of damaging it (so spent a lot of time on one leg closing it, as someone else said not cool or elegant!).
However if that's not a concern to another owner I really couldn't care less.

This is coming from someone who regularly (too regularly! :blush: ) shoves bottles of wine in her Birkin (two handles so I don't worry so much about them breaking) and if no spare chair available when eating out will pop it on the floor. It's also been wedged on the lock on the back of a toilet door before when no hook available. (I do draw the line at toilet cubicle floor!). So I should probably be blacklisted for crimes against Birkins :lol:

Similar to when I see someones backpack unzipped by accident....next time I see an open Kelly in the wild, I'm going to come up and say "excuse m'am/sir, just wanted to let you know your bag is open" .

I will probably get slapped but it will be worth it.
I have a Chanel with a zipper and a flap over it. Half of the time I forget/too busy for the flap and there is always a well wishing old lady at the grocery store who points it out. I make a big fuss of thanking her and still don't close the bag :biggrin:

Last edited:
Ok, so possibly an unpopular opinion.. I think anyone who owns the bag should be able to wear / treat said bag however they like!

I totally understand the no open Kelly thing and nothing at all against anyone who thinks they should be closed. I didn't like to leave mine open for fear of damaging it (so spent a lot of time on one leg closing it, as someone else said not cool or elegant!).

This is coming from someone who regularly (too regularly! :blush: ) shoves bottles of wine in her Birkin (two handles so I don't worry so much about them breaking) and if no spare chair available when eating out will pop it on the floor. It's also been wedged on the lock on the back of a toilet door before when no hook available. (I do draw the line at toilet cubicle floor!). So I should probably be blacklisted for crimes against Birkins :lol:

Yes. Literally these words could have come straight from my own mouth. I think the truly unpopular opinion is just this, what you have written - and not that Ks should be worn closed which seems to be the majority sentiment here versus UO.

UO for sure..... I LOVE an open Kelly - in fact there is actually one in my profile pic I'm just noticing. :lol: I think it looks casual, breezy, and unbothered versus buttoned-up.

I also find the general judgement of how one chooses to wear their own bag confusing.

Fully with you on this - everyone should actually use their things how they like to use it, no matter if anyone else likes the look or not or worries about damages or not.

Coming from someone who uses her B as a real working /shopping tote, too, and puts it in the basket on her bike every day, carries in trains and planes as a carry on etc.

Yes. Literally these words could have come straight from my own mouth. I think the truly unpopular opinion is just this, what you have written - and not that Ks should be worn closed which seems to be the majority sentiment here versus UO.

UO for sure..... I LOVE an open Kelly - in fact there is actually one in my profile pic I'm just noticing. :lol: I think it looks casual, breezy, and unbothered versus buttoned-up.

I also find the general judgement of how one chooses to wear their own bag confusing.
I think it is not judgment, it is just (my) opinion that I personally do not like the open look. Be it popular or not. And I personally fully appreciate if others do not share my taste or opinion. Which is why I loved @Israeli_Flava s post with her open Ks so much. This is what makes live interesting.

To each one her own way of closing, partially closing or not closing your kelly.

OK, here it is, my unpopular opinion number Graham's number plus a squazillion... I actively dislike the Jypsiere. Can't use the "hate" word about something as inoffensive as a bag, but I just think that thing is fugly. Mini or maxi, I do not get it - it may be the only H bag that I find actually hideous* (which just means more for others to love!).

🦆 🦆 🦆

*well...there's the Himalaya and the President....
My UO will be I genuinely love the non Mini Jypsiere. (Insert puking mental images of many here.)

But when I googled the President, I have to take back my former UO about the Evie TPM being the ugliest bag on earth. I don’t even know how the President is possible. Not even Barenia can cure that ugliness. It is so fugly that it is transcendental.

Yes and no. My unpopular opinion is, financially, it's no one's business until the same bag reaches a reseller, but also, it's everyone's right to have a view on something that's an Hermes fashion.

For sure, individually, their bag their business.

Viewing the fashion/styling more objectively, apart from the odd, old picture of someone caught mid-rummage, this trend seems to have been first popularised by SM influencers needing to flex the Kelly's Hermes logo for the shot, only visible when the bag's open.

Influencers may pose for a sec, but longtime carried full/heavy, it damages the bag, especially the handle. Anyone buying the same preloved later will inherit the structural damage. Birkins can be carried open like a simple bag, but a Kelly isn't designed to be carried the same way.

And from the style-history, it isn't a nonchalant, cool-girl look as could be attributed to a thrown around open B, but a loud-and-proud-luxury flex. Nothing wrong with loud-luxury, so long as that's the intended vibe.

My unpopular opinion is that RTW prices have really increased and much of it isn’t worth it. Still love the leather coats and leather trimmed pieces but I don’t understand how some items like sweaters can almost double in a few years.

I get H is trying to reposition the RTW and it’s a priority for the brand but many of the pieces seems overpriced for what they are compared to many other brands which also offer tailoring!

Yes and no. My unpopular opinion is, financially, it's no one's business until the same bag reaches a reseller, but also, it's everyone's right to have a view on something that's an Hermes fashion.

For sure, individually, their bag their business.

Viewing the fashion/styling more objectively, apart from the odd, old picture of someone caught mid-rummage, this trend seems to have been first popularised by SM influencers needing to flex the Kelly's Hermes logo for the shot, only visible when the bag's open.

Influencers may pose for a sec, but longtime carried full/heavy, it damages the bag, especially the handle. Anyone buying the same preloved later will inherit the structural damage. Birkins can be carried open like a simple bag, but a Kelly isn't designed to be carried the same way.

And from the style-history, it isn't a nonchalant, cool-girl look as could be attributed to a thrown around open B, but a loud-and-proud-luxury flex. Nothing wrong with loud-luxury, so long as that's the intended vibe.
Oh I agree! As I said I didn't wear mine open for fear of damage and I don't personally like the look of an open Kelly (especially in a larger size or softer leather, a 20 or 25cm Epsom etc doesn't gape as much).

I also don't like a "luxury flex" or "loud luxury" look, although I'm not sure there's any difference between an open Kelly and an open Birkin in that regard.

I just don't get why so many people seem to get so het up about how other people carry / use their bags.

But as you pointed out, everyone has a right to an opinion. It is just fashion and it is just a bag!

I love my Birkin dearly, but for the most part when I use it I'm hoping no one else realises what it is. Which is why it's used so often locally for grocery shopping, trips to the post office, running errands etc. As locally at least, no one seems to know thankfully so I get to enjoy it for myself.
It probably helps that it's Ebene, squishy and old looking.. turn it around and it's just a nondescript brown bag. But oh that leather feels so good to me! :heart:

My unpopular opinion is that RTW prices have really increased and much of it isn’t worth it. Still love the leather coats and leather trimmed pieces but I don’t understand how some items like sweaters can almost double in a few years.

I get H is trying to reposition the RTW and it’s a priority for the brand but many of the pieces seems overpriced for what they are compared to many other brands which also offer tailoring!

Good point.

Seems as though, whilst Chanel is keen for their bags to command as prices has high as Hermes (with little thought of aftercare) Hermes is trying to break the Chanel 'ceiling' with it's outerwear prices without the same tailoring services as Chanel. I saw a perfectly normal coat for £14K, it's a joke. Just a few years ago I was going to buy a suit for £3.6K (dinner jacket + trousers) now that's just the trousers.