What would you do????

that's a tough one....someone like a husband you could yell at for doing that...but a friend is a little different.
I suggest you treat it like a crappy christmas present from aunt sally. Wear it once around her and then stash it really far in the back of the closet.

I think you should just be honest with her and try and educate her on the counterfeit scene. I am sure once you explain it to her she will understand...esp if she is a close friend.

twinkie said:
What would you do if a dear friend gave you a fake bag and wallet as a gift? :shocked:

As some of you know, I recently had some "work" done and have been down for the past couple of weeks. My best friend wanted to cheer me up by getting me a gift. She knows about my obsession with handbags and apparently decided to surprise me with a Coach bag and wallet. But much to my surprise and horror, they are fake!!! And such obvious fakes, too.

I accepted them graciously because I did not want to hurt her feelings. I mean, she did make an effort, right? However, now she is going to expect me to carry them and to be quite frank, I don't want to!

Am I a horrible person???? Has anyone else had something like this happen?

I'd say thank you for the gift you should have. Then i'd use the bag for a planter.
I'm sure before I did that i'd explain to my friend that is the thought that counts and that i'm not a fan or a user of fake bags, but i'll put it to good use.
I'd buy a household plant/flower that i really like and proect the container with a plastic baggy and put in the bag. See this way you get to look at your favorite plant and your friends gift.

I would "lose" the bag before I got a chance to use the bag, but still, I would thank her and be grateful. At some other occation I would probably try and talk to her about fakes and the whole "if it's too good to be true..."-speech so that hopefully she'll get it herself and hope for the best. I would never carry a counterfeit bag to please someone else, or at least not out in public.

A gift (regardless of cost, looks, etc.) should be graciously accepted and appreciated for what it is....thoughtfulness from someone who thought enough of you to give it. Granted, it may not be your taste so you have several options:

1. If she truly is your best friend then you should feel open enough to tell her that while you appreciate the thought, that she purchased these items from this person under the guise of being authentic, when they truly weren't. I would suggest she try to return them to this person at the mall. Since they are running a "legitimate" business in the mall, they should take the bag back.
2. If you dont feel that comfortable telling your friend the truth, then either donate the bags to Goodwill where someone would be thrilled to have the knockoffs.
3. Post them on ebay and take the proceeds to apply towards the real versions so you can carry them around your friend with pride and her feelings arent hurt or she isnt embarrassed.

On my wedding, my best friend gave me a set of Piaget Jewelry which i identified as a fake.. it was REAL diamond but acopy design of Piaget Limelight line:love: ..

A week after she gave me the present, she called me up and said "what do u think of my gift?" I said "its gorgeous, thanks":shrugs: .. so she goes "u cant tell its not Piaget, right.. i got it at half price from a jewelry maker".. i said oh wow.. no i thought it was the real deal!!.. I thanked her.. but i never wore it.. :girlsigh:

LV_addict said:
I would get the real ones to relace the fake ones she gave you. This way you can carry them in front of her and not feel shame in public.:graucho:

I'd love to do that, but since Coach never even made either of these pieces it would be very difficult to do!:lol: Seriously, neither the tote or the wallet were ever even made.

I can update the situation, though. Her family hosted a BBQ and I wore the bag to it. My friend was of course, very pleased and told everyone she gave the bag to me. Her future sister-in-law, bless her heart, spotted it was a fake immediately and proceeded to tell my friend. She was mortified, but then she was able to laugh at herself and get an education in counterfeit handbags!

So, all's well that ends well!