What would you do????

twinkie

~Mrs. G~
O.G.
Apr 1, 2006
What would you do if a dear friend gave you a fake bag and wallet as a gift? :shocked:

As some of you know, I recently had some "work" done and have been down for the past couple of weeks. My best friend wanted to cheer me up by getting me a gift. She knows about my obsession with handbags and apparently decided to surprise me with a Coach bag and wallet. But much to my surprise and horror, they are fake!!! And such obvious fakes, too.

I accepted them graciously because I did not want to hurt her feelings. I mean, she did make an effort, right? However, now she is going to expect me to carry them and to be quite frank, I don't want to!

Am I a horrible person???? Has anyone else had something like this happen?

Oh dear, what a dilemma...

Would you consider carrying them only in front of her? Does she know that you only wear authentic (I'm assuming anyways that you only wear authentic)

I'm surprised your friend would give you those knowing your taste if that's the case...

My mother in law to be gave me a a ghetto Converse fleece bag for Christmas because she knew my love of bags, and I threw it away. My man is always threatening to tell her - tee hee... I already have my excuse - I lost it in the move - lol!

Well.... if you're looking for a potential way out of this without hurting her feelings... you could say it got stolen or you lost it? Is that bad?

Oh my, how awful! It was nice of you to accept them, but that doesn't mean you have to carry them.

My mom's friend gave me a fake Louis Vuitton wallet once, complete with a button that was falling off. I "lost" it.

Perhaps it could be stolen by a run by purse snatcher?

This might be really wrong to say...but it could be "stolen"...if you know what I mean...probably the wrong thing to say...I live for what ever bag I am carrying so it's hard to just "carry" one that I am not into....

Well you cannot hurt your friend's feelings, because after all it's the thought that counts...she was trying to cheer you up. I guess I would make an attempt to carry the bag in her presence a few times and than put it waaaaaay in the back of the closet...hahahahha

Not to be blunt, but if she's a dear friend, what would it hurt to carry them now and then when you are out with her?

She obviously cares enough about you to have taken the time and consideration to give you gift when she thought you might benefit from one. Why not give back, and show her your appreciation of her thoughtfulness? :hrmm:

Wow...this is tough...
First of all, you have very sweet friend

Does your friend know they are fake???
If she knew they are fake and expect you will carry them around..well that's mean :sad: ..just tell her one day that they got stolen...(hope she won't you another one)

If she doesn't know they are fakes, she needs to get her money back.

kathyrose said:
Say that you like it so much and that it means a lot to you so you're treasuring it and don't want to get it dirty.

:roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao:

I don't know if she would fall for that one, but then again, she did believe the nice lady at the cart in middle of the mall who was selling these really cheap authentic designer bags.....:shocked: :lol: I love her to death, but, damn, is she naive!

I had someone I babysit for give me a fake louis vuitton once... the random part was, she knew I loved handbags, as did she (supposedly) and it was wrapped up in a box from a different name brand. I never once carried it, but then, I never had to see her again as I was leaving that city...I was definitely appalled though! I'd never think of gifting someone something fake!

I dunno... I probably wouldn't carry it and just be like oh! I didn't have time to switch bags or something like that. Or at least carry the wallet a few times for her to see, because that's at least inside your handbag not out in public!

ETA: Do you think she knows that they're fake?

I am positive she thinks they are 100% authentic. She was so happy when she gave them to me so I know that I will wear them to spare her feelings. She truly does not know any better.

happened to me.. i returned it back... i just said, my bf bought me something similar.. she took it back...but then again, she wasn't a very close friend.... n she knows me too, just based on my history so i guess, she was more understanding..

Twinkie, you did the right thing to graciously accept them. You don't have to use them if you don't want to. I'm not sure how she would "expect" you to, but that's your business once the gift is out of her hands!

I agree that it's important that you be seen with the bag and/or wallet a few times. You can throw it aside after that. You're friend is obviously sweet for thinking of you in your time of need.