What Makes A Designer Handbag Designer?

I think craftsmanship, history, and quality of the materials are factors.
And sadly, price. If you project the right image (a high-end sounding name and big fashion-y ad campaign, celebrity publicity) and price your bags high (at least 500), the brand will be identified as a designer brand even if it has the same level of quality as a non-designer bag.

that's a good question. i agree w/ both seahorse and chiaoapple... the design definitely has to be original but craftmanship and materials matter as well. and of course it's all about publicity. you need to get the brand out there and get it noticed and get ppl to love it.

I think the quality and price of the bag plays a big part, and although sadly, if the name is linked to a particular celebrity it will definitely jump start the followers and become a designer brand even if the actual "designer" isnt very known for his/her designs to be high fashion.

^
What you are describing there perfectly suits the description of a luxury brand.

I believe the term luxury brand is far more precise for what I think most people refer to when they say designer bags. Db term is very misleading.

Liberté;1888570 said:
^
What you are describing there perfectly suits the description of a luxury brand.

I believe the term luxury brand is far more precise for what I think most people refer to when they say designer bags. Db term is very misleading.
I agree. Every bag that is originally designed is a designer handbag. What people usually mean when they say "designer", however, are high- end brands, or luxury items.

I agree. Every bag that is originally designed is a designer handbag. What people usually mean when they say "designer", however, are high- end brands, or luxury items.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I have gotten really confused by the use of the term a few times. There was a thread a while back about which of two brands (I think it was maybe Coach or Juicy) was more "designer." The way I understood the term designer, this would be like asking which brand is more "label" or something. I didn't get it. But now I do. Thank you.

Craftsmanship, quality, exclusivity, etc... are simply describing a luxury brand, not necessarily a "designer".

Every bag, article of clothing and accessory have a "designer" behind them.... Even the cheap stuff at the GAP has been "designed" by someone. People use it interchangably with "luxury brand" but I personally think that is incorrect.

Craftsmanship, quality, exclusivity, etc... are simply describing a luxury brand, not necessarily a "designer".

Every bag, article of clothing and accessory have a "designer" behind them.... Even the cheap stuff at the GAP has been "designed" by someone. People use it interchangably with "luxury brand" but I personally think that is incorrect.

Yes! Exactly why I thought of this question..

Liberté;1888570 said:
^

complete and utter DITTO! whatever feels delicious on my arm really... i know i've picked up a few high end bags and turned my nose up :P never a coach tho lol...