What Makes A Designer Handbag Designer?

hm... interesting...

i think a bag designer are a person who designed the bag for a company or their own line (ex. joy gryson for her own line, karl for chanel, MJ for his own company and LV, etc).
AKA a mass production fashion company like zara, mango, topshop etc are not counted because the designer's are not "concealed" to the world. maybe they don't have a real designer, they only have an interpreter who interpret the latest trend from the runway and applied it to the brand fro mass production with affordable price.

but a designer's bag are considered to be a term that's related to high end boutique's bag, it might also be a subtler term to say expensive bag. but because expensive is a "negative" word, so maybe they started to create the term "designer's bag" to replace "expensive bags"

that's IMO :P
ITA..."designer", I think also, is a term that is meant to = an expensive handbag. I don't think the handbag industry meant it to really mean "a design".

to me personally i consider high end bags 'designer' and all others just bags in general.

like if i buy a marc jacobs, gucci, LV, i'd feel i bought 'designer'
when i buy rebecca minkoff, LAMB, Juicy, i like the bags, i just don't feel the same way, in terms of the 'designer' term

Great question! I have wondered this myself...for me it has something to do about the amount of a bag that is produced, and who develops the design. Mass-marketed bags not created by a known designer = non-designer bags, whereas bags that are produced in limited quantities and created by a known individual designer or design team = "designer."

The price point is often also indicative of designer status, but not always...for example, Rachel Nasvik sells bags in the $400-500 range, but to me they are designer bags because they are produced in small quantities by hand and she comes up with the designs. By the same logic, Coach is not designer because they work with a design team and are mass-produced, even though many of them cost significantly more than the RN bags.

That's just how I see it. I also have the sense that what one person sees as "designer" doesn't hold true for everyone. (I see Rebecca Minkoff as designer, but not Juicy Couture; Belen Echandia is designer, but not Guess).

Interesting. I personally subscribe to a rather generous 'definition' of designer: If the brand has stores that sell nothing but its own items, then it's designer. This would include such 'cheaper' labels as Calvin Klein, DKNY, Kate Spade, etc.

I agree with Loquita. I think a bag is considered designer if they aren't mass produced and actually have more thought and hand-done details. Which having nicer materials and having someone work on it personally makes the price go up, so yeah, I can't say that price doesn't have anything to do with it, but I do feel the two go hand in hand.

If you check the Nordie website, or even Saks, there are "Premier Deigners" and "Designers" sections. I think designer, to me, is any one of the subforums on Bags, Bags, Bags. At least, that's what I go by.

IMO it's a term that means everything and nothing and should be abolished. Fashion houses, brands, even high end has a much more precise meaning. "Louis Vuitton" or "gucci" aren't even designers, even if the brands employ quite a number of them.