What is up with all the watchers?

Yeah same thing happens to me. I don't sell high end stuff but I end up sometimes with 5+ watchers and think it will be a definite sale, then the auction just ends with no bids. In some cases, someone will email me saying they "missed the bidding" (I half believe that sometimes, I think they just want the item for the lowest price possible) and they'd like to buy the item outright.

sometimes I miss the auctions because I am working or at the gym, autions that usually end while mostly of the people is istill working (8-4) dont sell for too much I think, perhaps not internet available at work, sometimes I watch items and the change my mind about it and just do not bid on it, because I found a better one.. Sorry this happened to you, it happened to me too a couple of times and i hate it because you still need to pay ebay's fees even if the item does not sell. Good luck next time and I hope you sell your items

Many times I have added an item to my Watchlist so that I could think about if I was really interested, and not lose track of it, but then in the end decide against bidding. I keep it in my watch list if I'm interested in seeing how much it sold for.

I watch similar items i am selling or plan to sell.
Also, sniping is big, so lots of action in the last minute. I snipe everything, don't bother with manual bidding anymore.

If I'm considering buying something, I always watch some items first, so that I can:
a) see how much they go for
b) think about if I really want/need it

I never knew that sellers could see how many watchers there were.

I buy tons of stuff on eBay, but I never bid right off the bat, since I don't want to make an impulse buy and regret it. I always keep stuff on my watchlist for a couple of days to decide if I really want it, look around and make sure it's a good price, get it authenticated here, etc. After a day or two on the watchlist, I'll either bid (or snipe it, in which case it stays on the watchlist) or take it off the watchlist entirely if I've decided it's not for me.

I buy tons of stuff on eBay, but I never bid right off the bat, since I don't want to make an impulse buy and regret it. I always keep stuff on my watchlist for a couple of days to decide if I really want it, look around and make sure it's a good price, get it authenticated here, etc. After a day or two on the watchlist, I'll either bid (or snipe it, in which case it stays on the watchlist) or take it off the watchlist entirely if I've decided it's not for me.

i do this as well...

and of course, sometimes i'll watch an item and it DOES get bids, goes over what i want to pay and so i rule it out.

Watchers means nothing, it's the bidders that count.

I once bought a pair of William Rast jeans off eBay for something like $50. They ended up being too small and I listed them on eBay again. My watch list had an upward of 74 watchers at one point and I'm thinking to myself, "score, I'm going to be able to make money off this!" I was very wrong, my item ended up selling for maybe $60 which was just enought to cover shipping and related fees to the sale.

I've also had a lot of BIN Lululemon limited edition items and for the entire week there will be 0 watchers. Then suddenly, over the weekend every one of my auctions will end with BIN.

The watch list is misleading because it only counts people who have added your item to their list, but it tells you nothing about the people who actually have a genuine interest in bidding for your item.

Well, I always bid in the last few min of an auction to not get into bidding wars w/ anyone. I have a set price I have in mind I may want to pay for something and I don't sit and get into the competitive thing. So, if I am watching something, I may also be watching 4 others of the same style and one is a better deal than the other in the end. It just varies.

I have a huge watch list. Generally it's because I have items to sell that are the same or similar to what I'm watching and I want to see approx. what they are going for so I can get a feel for it. You can sort of put your pulse on the way the item will sell if you watch others like it. I have to admit that I don't buy the things I watch. I'll just bid what I want to spend up to and that's that.