What does a 21-year-old girl wants for a graduation present?

as a 21-year-old myself, i say send her and a friend/her boyfriend on a trip to someplace fabulous.

personally, i wouldn't be psyched about a $4000 pen...

going along with the trip idea...

When I graduated from college the father of a friend invited a bunch of us up to the town she lives in, put us up in a hotel, and rented a van service to drive us around bar hopping so no one would have to drive.

Seeing as your budget is high, you could do this on a more elaborate scale. Rent a beach house for a week for a group of her friends, or a mountain cottage, ski chalet, etc, or something like that depending on what's around where you live.

I know there was another thread where people were saying that just giving money isnt thoughtful...but it would rather just have the $3000 cash! Having just graduated a couple of years ago, I remember just wanting the extra cash until I figured out what I wanted to do for a career.

I got a $2700 laptop as my graduation gift. But they did asked what I wanted and a new laptop was what I needed at the time. Any way you can ask what she wants/needs ?

I love the idea of a vacation/holiday trip. Memories are priceless! And it will be perfect timing as it will be right before she joins the drudgery of the work force.

I like the Tiffany jewelry and trip ideas, especially if she didn't travel abroad during college.

How about a very nice digital or film camera for her to use to commemorate the trip?

I'd totally wouldn't want an expensive pen for a gift. I'm 22 and to honestly a pen wouldn't send any excitement through my body. A trip sounds like a really good idea. When I graduated HS my parents sent me to NY with a few close friends for 10 days. It was great. A trip is something she'll always remember especially somewhere exotic or something. Depending on her living situation, she just might need cash. lol. It really depends..

I like the trip idea! Or a lovely pair or earrings or a nice piece of jewelery. My sister just got me a diamond ring for my birthday and I'll always wear it and think of her (prolly my most favorite ring, too!)

The nicest pens I've ever seen were only (only?!) a couple hundred dollars, so that wouldn't use up that whole budget. xP Maybe I've only seen cheap pens, though...

I like the trip idea, because that's one of those things I would love to do myself, but if someone gave me the money it's unlikely I would use it for that purpose.

(Personally, when I graduate, my reward to myself will be that I never have to tolerate any of the people I went to school with, ever again! Oh, I may buy myself a handbag too... ;P)