What do you think? Feedback re RAOK & New Rules

Re-gifting :wtf:

that is horrid.

Naomi I really dont think your gonna win here me dear as youll never please all people.

I deffo dont agree in having seperate RAOKS for cash amounts, to be honest if I spent $200 on my gift it means I can spend $2000 on myself, theres little point on spending $200 to get $200 back IMHO.

I dont care how much is spent on gifts I receive compared to what I spend, I have researched my buddy and sent things I know they will appreciate.

Sorry to say that whilst people keep saying its not about the money, enforcing these rules would make it just that.

I dont mean to offend anyone but if you dont want to run the risk of getting a gift that costs less than you spent dont take part.

Its such a shame that some people are upset or could be at what they receive.

I am not an RAOK buddy, but the wife is.

Still, here is my thoughts on a way to deal with price min/max. It would require a little more work, but it might be worth while.

Have a few ranges of gift costs, and ask people to mark which range they will participate in. Then match them up with someone that is going to be buying gifts in the same range. That way people are getting something close to what they are giving. You would not really need to worry about someone that spends a fair amount of money on items getting a couple of dollars worth of trinkets.

I understand it is the thought that counts, but it would be a bit more fair if done this way IMHO.

RAOK is not about getting close to what you give though, thats the point of Random.

Doing this will devide the members by creating an elite group.

Also you have to consider that peoples cicumstances may change during the raok, jobs may be lost etc.

Here are my thoughts rather than putting price ranges for spending why not set an Upper spending limit this limits high spending and therefor people feeling that they can't compete ( I don't mean that as we have to compete it's just a fiigure of speech)

By setting a ceiling it also forces people to be creative with gifts etc.

Alternatively if you do want to go down the price range route why not include the question on the profile that way you can match people with similar spending patterns

with regards to revealing Identity I think that should also be a question on the profile some people like the suspense & some want to know, if your buddy know's your preference they can work as such.

Just some idea's to think over but other than that I think the rules mentioned are fair

Hi all, just read the whole thread again and Im not too sure on the price range thing. It seems quite selfish that someone would want the exact same amount spent on them. Like for instance me, Last RAOK I had a generous PF member buy me a Louis Vuitton bandeau and I was so suprised, I never thought someone would spend so much on me...but me, I did not send my buddy LV and felt a little bad for this although I do not have the money at the moment to buy myself a Louis Vuitton, nevermind my buddy.

I think there should be a price minium for each month which i think should be around $50 - $60 and I think thats quite fair, but if other members want to spend say for example $200 then thats up to them, because to some people $200 is not much. I think giving it a good minimum will ensure that everyone will get a "real" gift and by real gift I mean something worthwile because you cant really get much for $10 lol.

I dont think people whould be upset about gifts, I have enjoyed all mine so far on the 1st RAOK and 2nd. It has been wonderful. I think if people choose a good range of gifts which suit their buddy then this is good. For example at easter on the 1st RAOK I got a very unusual egg sent to me, i have never saw one like this before so I was very suprised by it and loved it. In this RAOK I just recieved a holiday pack with cosmetics which is something that I will use on holiday, I think my buddy must have read that I was going away so this is really personal to me and I think these were great gifts.

Also alot of people live in different parts on the world and are recieving unusual gifts that they cannot get in their location, this is priceless and i dont think money can buy this unless someone flys over lol. For Instance someone in the US might recieve a gift from someone in the UK which are English themed things and cannot be bought from the US so I think this is unique.

Hope that helps, sorry it was so long :Push: lol

I think for the secret santa...should be $50-$100...again, if it's too expensive..don't sign up for the secret santa!

but for regular RAOK..i think $25-$50 per gift should be enough..it does total up to $150 + shipping for 3 months! i might be mistaken..the 3rd RAOK is 2 months? or 3? if so..the range can be increased!

as for re-gifting...i agree with twiggies, re-gifting is fine, but make sure it's logical! how can u re-gift to your buddy from the same RAOK? COMON! if anyone is found re-gifting..they can't participate in the next RAOK, simple!

Thanks Ren! So what kind of range do you all think?
$50-250?
25-150?
25-100?
50-200?

Any suggestions on that?

I think if you're creative and send a bunch of gifts but it cost you only $5 to make, those are the best gifts! But I think that if you participate in RAOK, you would atleast put some thought and effort in to the gift or gifts you get. But when someone receives a gift card then tried to use it but wasn't able to purchase anything from it because the amount was so low (it did happen), then that's plain messed up. It ruins it for the other person. But if rules are set and everyone understands that, then I don't see an issue with it. But I also want to be able to give someone an option to give whatever they want, just not be lazy and cheap about it.

Yea...the dollar amount thing is such a dilemma....I know there are issues with it...but I think, like Lorna said, I'm not going to win over everyone with this.
I know other RAOKs on here have implemented price ranges...not sure how successful it was.
Everyone here comes from such diverse backgrounds....
Maybe the question to ask for everyone signing up:
Do you want a price limit? If so then you'll be matched up with someone else who wanted a price limit. That way I'm the only one who knows it (so no one will know)....and then that person isn't feeling like their feelings are hurt. For those who don't care...I'll match them with someone else who doesn't care. Or no???

I am, however, going to implement a price range on the one-time Secret Santa.

I think for the secret santa...should be $50-$100...again, if it's too expensive..don't sign up for the secret santa!

but for regular RAOK..i think $25-$50 per gift should be enough..it does total up to $150 + shipping for 3 months! i might be mistaken..the 3rd RAOK is 2 months? or 3? if so..the range can be increased!

as for re-gifting...i agree with twiggies, re-gifting is fine, but make sure it's logical! how can u re-gift to your buddy from the same RAOK? COMON! if anyone is found re-gifting..they can't participate in the next RAOK, simple!

Thenext RAOK will be 2 months...2 gifts....

im gonna think about this tonite...

secret santa: yes to to the limit. (i.e.100.00 +)

ROAK: everyone should be in the same category- no divisions, therefore set limit at modest amt: 25.00- 50.00- this way we r all part of the same ROAK - no levels deemed by $$$ . i think its very important to stay together on this....:heart::heart::heart::heart:

i think i agree with Label Addict..and some others.....i may have to take back what i said...im open to either price limits for the LV RAOK or what not...but if there are price limits i hope everyone can agree together!

as for the secret santa..twiggies, u have my vote there..it's a one-time thing and most people will be busy with other x'mas gifts to family and friends..secret santas can be creative with price limits too!

am i making sense...i think not, maybe i should go to sleep.

oh and before i go..regarding revealing identity...it'll be cool to reveal on the last gift...but if the buddy wishes to remain anon...it should be fine too!! just something for everyone to think about when they are sending out their last gift!

Sounds good Naomi. I suggest having a price min on the gifts for the RAOK? Not a large amount but a fair amount, like $20-$40? Would suck for someone to send a $5 starbucks gift card to their buddy and the angels bailing them out, not that I don't mind being an Angel.

My suggestion also- I'll be deep in o-chem by this time frame- but I'd love to participate--- bring out the little Martha Stewart in me--- :P

Yes very good job on the rules and what not Twigs I think that is not asking very much from everyone who participates. I love doing RAOK it's just fun to see what everyone else gets each month and the creativity of the givers.

Everything sounds good to me.

About the price ranges, I think maybe $35-75 is good for the ROAK and $40+ - $150 is good for the Secret Santa. I don't think that a Secret Santa should be about how much money you've spent on a person, since that's not what those holidays are about. What's important is that the person is sending thoughtful gifts to their buddy that they think will bring a bit of sunshine into their day.

I know some say that "If you can't afford it, you shouldn't participate", but for something like a Holiday RAOK, we've got to take into account how much people will be spending on members of their family! For someone who has participated in other RAOKS and did a good job to be excluded just because they have 4 children and a large family and wouldn't be able to spend $100+ on a person...it just isn't fair, which is the reason why I thought $40 minimum is good.

In my family, we do something along the lines of a secret santa. Every year there is a different letter. This year it's X and we have a $30 price limit. Instead of everybody buying everybody gifts, we get assigned a family member.

Either way, I don't think it would be a good idea to set the minimum too high for the Secret Santa