What do you say to this?

Depends who is asking. If it's a really good friend or someone who wants to know with an intent to perhaps getting one too ( "I really love that, where did you get it and how much did it cost!"), I am just honest. To anyone else, I just say that it's a gift from my DH.

I think it's happening more lately, because designer bags are higher profile than they were a few years ago and these people have, finally, cottoned on! ;)

I agree that it's embarrassing; but they are the ones who should be more embarrassed, because they are showing their complete lack of manners, by questioning/teasing you like this.

As my mother would have said; 'Take it from whence it comes.'. :yes:

My best friend and my coworkers tease me about how much my bags cost... I don't like telling people the cost of them, it's none of their business.

I've only had one complete stranger ask me the cost of the my bag, and that was after we had already been discussing it and he way overestimated the cost of it! But then, I carry a Damier speedy so it doesn't "scream" LV... should be getting my MC speedy tomorrow, we'll see how people react to that one lol.

I definately like the idea of turning it around on them and asking how much something of theirs cost!

I never tell them the cost unless I know them and know they would understand how I would spend that much money on something I really want. My co workers were talking about how much purses cost these days and that even a Coach has gone up to $400. They felt that the only reason a person would pay so much for a purse is to show status. They have no idea what type of bag I carry or how much it costs - so much for status!!! Actually some of them brag about how little they spend and how they have used the same bag for years - and I completely respect and actually even admire that. How come they can't respect our viewpoint?

If they ask, I usually give the price. They can look it up and find it out themselves anyway so it doesn't bother me. Only if I feel unsafe or if I don't know the person, then I'd avoid the question or lie.

If it's a friend or someone close and they intend on purchasing it and would just like to know how much I got it for, I'd just tell them.

I had a friend who asked and after I told her, she started doubting the authenticity of my Speedy and claimed that an LV would never be so cheap. I told her she could try the store herself.

If someone asked me such a rude question, I'd probably respond in kind, with something like: "Are you serious? Did you just ask me the price of something I'm wearing? Just in case you were raised by wolves, I have to tell you that is about the rudest comment I've heard all year. Please don't ask how old I am now."

I have two sets of friends when it comes to luxury bag appreciation...

A. they own lots of it too- so we are quits and I don't get offended if they ask me how much I got mine because I know its for their reference.

B. People who wants to own one but cannot afford..they are the envious ones and it makes me feel uncomfortable

Oh..and finally my mom....well, she just doesn't appreciate finer quality bags and buys lots of cheap bags for herself but despite that she gives me original bags and doesn't judge me.

I would just say "It was a good amount for it, well worth it if you had to stop and ask" ~--I think they'll be on their way at that point--~:rolleyes: lol just kiddin I wouldn't be that mean. I would really just be like, around x amount and leave it at that.

If it's friendly banter, I respond with: "One hundred billion dollars!" ala Dr. Evil w/ matching pinky in Austin Powers. I laugh, he/she laughs, next topic please! :graucho:

Anything else, I tell them it's a gift from my boyfriend, regardless whether he gave it to me or not. I make him look good by having great taste and I avoid having to answer the question. He also has no qualms taking credit for everything good so he loves this response. :rolleyes: He's a charming bugger!