What do you say to this?

1. Lately, I've been having some issues with people (guys and girls) persistently asking how much my bags cost. Of course, if I thought they were interested in getting one and were just curious about retail, I wouldn't be bothered by the question at all...but it's obvious that they're not asking for that reason.

It goes something like this...

"Is that real?"
    "Mmhmm."
    "How much does one of those cost?"
    "Eh, enough."
    "No, I'm serious, how much?"
    "It doesn't really matter."

I always attempt to avoid the question because I've been brought up to NEVER talk about money. To me, it's a subject that should not be touched on when talking to people (especially ones whom I don't know well!). Inevitably, I'm with one of my guy friends (who, in general, aren't very tactful...). At this point, one of them chimes in, "She paid, like, $600 or $800 something for it!"

Then, the person who originally posed the question says something to the effect of, "Oh my God! How could you waste so much money on that?!" to which I reply, "It's not a waste of money if I love it."

This has been happening a lot lately to me (it never did before...I have no idea why it just started up now!) It really irritates me, as what I paid for my wonderful, wonderful purse:love: should not be important to anyone but me.

Does this ever happen to any of y'all? What do you say to avoid answering the question, or do you just matter-of-factly tell them retail?

2. I haven't really encountered with that kind of people. Once I carried my damier and a guy asked if it's LV..and I said yes and just it..

I know how you feel about the whole things, it's annoying. Some people just don't get it.

3. I either tell the truth with a look that shuts people up or I say I don't remember and tell people they can look it up on elux or vuitton.com. Depending on who asks of course and in what situation.

4. fortunately, i usually don't encounter questions like that. either no one around me cares, or they already know. i don't know what i would do if it happened to me! i definitely know it would make me uncomfortable. :sad:

5. You know what, tell them -some people collect ART - well, this is just like that - we collect purses, wearable ART!!!!

6. Those people who ask you probably have no idea, or else they wouldn't ask you. Or, maybe it's another way of asking if it's a fake bag... I always get my bag from elux so I'd tell them to go there and check if they like.

7. God, how annoying. I've had to face this, too. It sucks big time, because it's nobody's biz.

Here in L.A., there are enough fake women around that I could counter with

"Oh, you know, before I answer, how much did your boobs cost?"

Or you could ask how much they paid for their car, house, engagement ring, etc.

Turn it back on them, then maybe they'll realize how tacky the question is.

:p

8. Something similar happened to me the day before yesterday: an acquaintance of mine asked me how much was my groom cles. I was not bothered by that, and so I simply told her how much I paid for it. I think it's not that big a deal.

9. Great comeback! :roflmfao:

10. I hate being asked how much my stuff costs... If people respond with a "How could you WASTE your money on THAT? :wtf:" when I tell them how much it really costs... I just simply reply with a "It's my money, I spend it as I please..." comment. :noworry:

11. Yeah, friends tend to ask me too.. I just tell them the truth.. I don't really care. But in the case for my mother.. I tell her nothing. LOL

12. When I can tell the conversation is headed in a downhill way, I usually say that it was a gift from my husband.
    If it is a friendly conversation, I will have no problems stating the price.

13. :roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao:

14. It's like they want you to say a higher number what they expect so they can have that kind of reaction. I try and ignore them, but it's hard when they're too persistant

15. I don't know why some people ask money questions in the first place. That kind of behavior is my number one pet peeve. I never ask anyone how much something costs unless they're my SA! You could always say it was a gift. But then that's a lie. Or you could say you were brought up to never talk about money because it's uncomfortable. My sister used to ask my son how much my stuff was because I wouldn't tell her. That's low.