What bag gets you compliments -- but is a cheapie?

I have a XOXO top handle tote from 5 or 6 years ago for about $25 that still garners compliments to this day.
It's a surprisingly good whiskey colored faux leather with contrast stitching. It's held up pretty well for pleather.
XOXO is a clothing/bag brand for those who aren't in the know is a super cheapie brand that caters to the tween/teenage demographic.

When I do carry the good stuff (LV, Marc Jacobs, etc) there are far fewer compliments.
I guess because women carrying designer bags are pretty common and a lot of women have the same types of designer bags (especially in NYC where I currently reside).

Regardless, a compliment is a compliment! =)
Great thread!

A leather bag I bought from etsy gets me compliments almost every time I carry it. I've never heard a word about my Bal or either of my Chloe bags.

^^same here. I was just telling a good friend of mine that every time I carry my high-end bags no one says a thing. Then I wear a couple no-namers from nords and people will stop me to compliment the bag. It's very eye-opening and fiscally pleasing.

I'm using a new Halogen bag right now and two people from church already complimented the bag.

I got a furry and bronze trim B. Makowsky at TJ Maxx for 89$ that gets more compliments than an expensive leather bag, it does look like it cost tons more than it did

No matter what, when I carry my Rafe by Target bags I always get stopped to be paid a compliment. Here is my most used of the three I have. I love this bag, and best of all it was only like $50.00 at Target. Pardon the stock pic from "the bay" I don't have any "in action" pics.
i loved this bag! This is the bag that got away for me. I bought it in the navy and for some reason i either gave it away or returned it, and have went back to get it and it was too late they stopped carrying it. I do have the Dr bag looking one. lol

3 cheapies I get compliments on are: a band tote (Panic! At the Disco) that's cream colored and says "Reinvent :heart:" on one side, and the band name on the other, a LeSportsac messenger that has a subway print, taxis, etc, and a plaid (no logo!) Juicy Couture Daydreamer, everyone is surprised to hear that its a JC bag.

I have a billabong patchwork tote. It looks alot like a coach patchwork but it isn't it's by billabong and you can pick it up for like $40.00 at pacsun.com I love it! They have such cute bags and often follow runway style and replicate it but in a non counterfeit way...like roxy had a take on the coach tatersall line a while back. It is supposed to be a store for teenagers/young adults but it really is cool! ;o)