What are your clothing pet peeves?

I am soooo with you on the inconsistent sizing, drives me nuts! Same for shoes, even within the same brand!! I am a 38,5. So why in Prada I´ll be a 38 in the loafers and 37 in the slingbacks?!

And the lack of quality while you spent more....made in China, loose threads when it´s H&M I understand....when it´s Isabel Marant...not so much.
Ugh this is so true. I was shopping yesterday and there were several long loose threads on a 15000$ Kiton blazer. :faint:

Resizing

Everyone is so big these days, I’ve fallen off the size scale ..

I’m 4’11”, no bust, 30” hips(not waist lol)..I’m bigger than I was when I was when I was a ballerina, but even now a lot of my clothes are miles too big..oversized..

I was too thin then to wear tight clothing, now sizes have moved so much(when I was 20 sz 8 uk was the smallest sz now Maxmara do 2 and Burberry go down to 00.

I don’t always want to buy Maxmara or Burberry..only designer or bespoke or my Skins clothes fit me…I spend a fortune on clothes..I’m minimalist, although I have more than I really want I don’t have my dream wardrobe …

Teens, 20 and 30 somethings are so big now that the sizing scale has moved so much that going clothes shopping for me is literally window shopping unless I’m designer shopping..or shopping online…

Resizing

Everyone is so big these days, I’ve fallen off the size scale ..

I’m 4’11”, no bust, 30” hips(not waist lol)..I’m bigger than I was when I was when I was a ballerina, but even now a lot of my clothes are miles too big..oversized..

I was too thin then to wear tight clothing, now sizes have moved so much(when I was 20 sz 8 uk was the smallest sz now Maxmara do 2 and Burberry go down to 00.

I don’t always want to buy Maxmara or Burberry..only designer or bespoke or my Skins clothes fit me…I spend a fortune on clothes..I’m minimalist, although I have more than I really want I don’t have my dream wardrobe …

Teens, 20 and 30 somethings are so big now that the sizing scale has moved so much that going clothes shopping for me is literally window shopping unless I’m designer shopping..or shopping online…
Have you tried IRO? I'm also 4'11 and thin with no bust, this is one of my go-to brands for dresses that actually look normal!

Along the same lines, my pet peeve is high-waisted trousers and shorts, especially in workout clothes. I have a short torso and those things are coming up right under my breasts! It looks ridiculous on me. Plus I spent so much effort to have my nice defined stomach, I would it to be visible please :biggrin:

the lack of flattering pants for petite short waisted women. Maybe it's me, but, I definitely have not mastered the sleek, flattering pants look. I have pretty much given up trying to find pants that flatter. I am a dress and skirt girl every day of the week. My only "pants" tend to be jeans since they come in a variety of flattering styles.

The lack of petite clothing for women who still have "girls." I tend to have to go up a size to accommodate the chest and tailor everything else back down.

Have you tried IRO? I'm also 4'11 and thin with no bust, this is one of my go-to brands for dresses that actually look normal!

Along the same lines, my pet peeve is high-waisted trousers and shorts, especially in workout clothes. I have a short torso and those things are coming up right under my breasts! It looks ridiculous on me. Plus I spent so much effort to have my nice defined stomach, I would it to be visible please :biggrin:
The jeans are too big for me..xxx

The jeans are too big for me..xxx
Ah non the jeans are terrible I agree! But the dresses are on point! I even tried one on once that was too small :shocked:

I've sort of given up on jeans, I wear only dresses now, here are some of the styles that work really well for me (taken from theoutnet so I can find the actual styles that I own):

Last edited:
Reactions: cecchetti
the lack of flattering pants for petite short waisted women. Maybe it's me, but, I definitely have not mastered the sleek, flattering pants look. I have pretty much given up trying to find pants that flatter. I am a dress and skirt girl every day of the week. My only "pants" tend to be jeans since they come in a variety of flattering styles.

The lack of petite clothing for women who still have "girls." I tend to have to go up a size to accommodate the chest and tailor everything else back down.
I've given up on trousers/pants. Have worn exclusively skirts/dresses for the last few years. I do manage to find some shorts (for teens) that have lower waists

Unfortunatley can't relate regarding the "girls" :lol:

Poorly finished garments. Bad puckered seams, lots of loose threads, and the loose buttons!

I remember when I was a teenager my mom bought herself a beautiful Elie Tahari silk chiffon shirt. She had waffled on it, thought about it, and finally went for it (usually she would buy without a second thought) and waited for it to arrive.

In trying it on all the buttons fell off. :shocked: And this wasn't a cheap shirt (and it was a full placket of buttons too!) I remember her remarking that the Forever 21 buttons were sewed on better! They were little buttons and I guess the absolute gall she had to put them through the buttonhole was too much.

I sewed them all back on for her and to her dying day she remembered those stupid buttons falling right off :lol:. I don't blame her one bit.

Not taking care of what you have. Hate seeing/hearing shoes destroyed because someone won't do basic upkeep. I had to rescue several cashmere items from my mom as she was a little lackadaisical in storing them. I got good at patching with felted wool and doing some creative reweaving for a lot of things.

Poorly finished garments. Bad puckered seams, lots of loose threads, and the loose buttons!

I remember when I was a teenager my mom bought herself a beautiful Elie Tahari silk chiffon shirt. She had waffled on it, thought about it, and finally went for it (usually she would buy without a second thought) and waited for it to arrive.

In trying it on all the buttons fell off. :shocked: And this wasn't a cheap shirt (and it was a full placket of buttons too!) I remember her remarking that the Forever 21 buttons were sewed on better! They were little buttons and I guess the absolute gall she had to put them through the buttonhole was too much.

I sewed them all back on for her and to her dying day she remembered those stupid buttons falling right off :lol:. I don't blame her one bit.

Not taking care of what you have. Hate seeing/hearing shoes destroyed because someone won't do basic upkeep. I had to rescue several cashmere items from my mom as she was a little lackadaisical in storing them. I got good at patching with felted wool and doing some creative reweaving for a lot of things.
Yes to the last!
I look after and baby my clothes..
All of my clothes live on wooden coat hangers, my outerwear /coats/jackets etc all are under covers in the wardrobe and only taken out for each wear and cleaned each season.

I don’t keep worn out clothes..sometimes my wardrobe looks like a shop!
Old clothes are only kept for when I’m ill(when I had covid I lived in 2 sets of old clothing , then got rid of them).
It sounds ocd, but has worked for me my whole life..and hopefully will continue to..I keep a list of what to buy each season and try not to impulse buy too much..wouldn’t work for most people, but works for me…xx

Reactions: lill_canele

Petite and curvy is a struggle. I can wear a 2-4 or a 4-6, depending on how the chest is cut. Sometimes I size up to a medium or a size 10 and get the piece tailored.

Petite and curvy is a struggle. I can wear a 2-4 or a 4-6, depending on how the chest is cut. Sometimes I size up to a medium or a size 10 and get the piece tailored.
My Mum is petite and curvy..she always wears petite mid range rather than designer clothing..

When my parents used to go to the US on holiday she was average size (I get my thinness from my Dad size-actually I’m not thin anymore, just tiny, when I danced I really Was thin).., just she 4’ 11 3/4”, UK 14-16, depending on age…she used to buy tons of clothes in the petites..
Liz Claiborne , idk what other designers etc

I don’t have petite proportions, I know my Mum only struggled in the U.K. being petite and curvy…I’m 4’11” and just too small but long(in photos I look tall).

I guess it depends on your age and style-my Mum only really wore high fashion in the 1960’s and 1970’s lol!

Years ago, the Shoshana label used to be perfect for me in a size 0 or 2 because it was cut small enough everywhere, but still accommodated small frames with fuller busts. I haven't seen the line carried anywhere IRL for some time. I have seen some pieces online, but the collections I have glanced at don't seem like the same clean, modern esthetic I remember.

Reactions: Gimmethebag
haha, you remind me when I got a 100% cashmere scarf in middle school.
I had no idea it had to be handwashed or just spot cleaned for cleaning.
I just threw it into the washing machine and dryer and called it a day. (and no, I did not ask my parents, my mother probably knew better.)
You can imagine my confusion and slight shock on the result. :wtf: And then I asked someone about cashmere (probably my mom lol), and got berated for ruining it.:rolleyes:

Years ago, the Shoshana label used to be perfect for me in a size 0 or 2 because it was cut small enough everywhere, but still accommodated small frames with fuller busts. I haven't seen the line carried anywhere IRL for some time. I have seen some pieces online, but the collections I have glanced at don't seem like the same clean, modern esthetic I remember.
Right now, the brands I am having luck with: are Veronica Beard (LOVE!!!!), Zimmermann (size "2", 4-6), Vince (XS, 4-6 for more tailored), Jonathan Simkhai (S-M), and Agolde (XS in tops). Proenza Schouler size 4 fits me well, but I recently struck out on a poplin blouse that zips over the chest.

haha, you remind me when I got a 100% cashmere scarf in middle school.
I had no idea it had to be handwashed or just spot cleaned for cleaning.
I just threw it into the washing machine and dryer and called it a day. (and no, I did not ask my parents, my mother probably knew better.)
You can imagine my confusion and slight shock on the result. :wtf: And then I asked someone about cashmere (probably my mom lol), and got berated for ruining it.:rolleyes:
Goodness, I bought myself a beautiful tissue-weight cashmere scarf from Burberry as a middle schooler! I found a couple holes in it several years after buying it as I didn't sand down the cedar I had them stored on top of in my armoire. I think I put on the ashes and sackcloth for that one until my mom suggested getting it rewoven! I might have been a little dramatic :lol:

Thanks for reminding me it's time to reorganize my sweater bags with the approach of warm weather! And yes, still have my beloved scarf, no new holes!