Totally worth it-totally not worth it!

This is such a great thread -- I loved reading everyone's responses!

For me...
Totally worth it - Pandora ring stack (I wear it every day and it was a v-day present from my SO); real pearl studs; Michael Kors tortoise watch; most of my Yurman & Tiffany pieces (I have had some for years and they have never visibly tarnished, so cleaning them isn't a big deal- but I totally see how it would be annoying if you have to clean them all the time)

North worth it - bubble necklaces - I loved them last year but now they are everywhere and I feel silly having paid so much money for a real one; Tiffany link bracelet (doesn't fit my tiny wrists); costume jewelry I bought on etsy - it feels cheap and its not really my taste; any and all bangle bracelets (they slip off my wrist and make a lot of noise when they bang against things)

Worth it: Omega Constellation with diamond bezel, 3ct diamond tennis bracelet, 1ct diamond earrings.

Not worth it: my Pandora jewelry collection. I kinda regret spending over $2,000 on charms, beads etc and several silver rings. I wear them though.

worth it:
platinum/diamond/gold tiffany pieces, 0.5 ctw diamond studs, SOME branded silver

on the fence:

my pandora bracelet and tiffany silver bracelets. they're both lovely pieces but i rarely wear them, and to have spent ~$500+ on silver seems a bit... silly.

not worth it:
COSTUME JEWELRY. the surplus of "cute" inexpensive pieces that i have could probably add up to a LOT. :sad:

For me, I would say that the pandora stuff wasn't worth it, I wasted a lot of money on it and ended up selling it bead by bead because I didn't really wear it.. worth it would be the vintage costume jewellery I have. A lot less money and I actually use it!

My biggest 'not worth it' are the Heather Moore charms I bought a couple years ago. While they are cute, I way, way, way overpaid and would have been better off putting the money towards a diamonds by the yard necklace. The funny thing is, I never really wanted the charms but sort of talked myself into them because they were just starting to become popular. Expensive lesson :cool:
I'm glad someone else feels the same way I do-- I was in love with them bought my first charm and have never worn it. Complete waste of money. Although I am sorry it was so expensive of a lesson for you and I both. :/

Worth it:
-diamond horseshoe necklace my mom gave to me on my 16th birthday
-diamond earrings
-Slane prasiolite ring
-Rebecca Lankford necklace, I only stopped wearing it because I ruined the pearl on it
-Tiffany EP Bean necklace
-10k WG ball studs I bought at walmart for $10, perfect for the cartilage and second piercings
-Brahmin Bag I use daily

Not worth it:
-Heather Moore
-Custom Jewelry
-Outfit Specific Jewelry
-Solid gold shark tooth that I loved at the time and thought was super edgy-- now it's just childish looking IMO

Totally worth it: my rolex, diamond and 6 ruby cluster WG ring. My Hermes silver pieces. Diamond pendants, rose gold and diamond bracelet. Bvlgari B zero ring in RG.

Not worth it: Most of the costume jewellery pieces I bought from Dior, Celine etc. They don't hold up very well.

Worth it: All rolex watches, cartier watches, 24 carat gold sets, necklace, bracelet and earrings, diamond e-ring, diamond upgrade (really just another ring), Tiffany gemstone jewelry, Tiffany gold pieces which I never wear any more, but loved and wore tons when it was the best I could afford, and now I can pass to my daughter, LV fun inclusion ring (feels fabulous, lighthearted and fun), plastic Hello Kitty statement rings

Not worth it: Tiffany silver (but I did wear it a lot when I was younger), a few miscellaneous statement pieces, even though not expensive, not worth it b/c I never wear it. (Designer bags - how many can you use at one time??!) :P

Worth it: my e-ring and wedding band (hubby bought me), The beautiful diamond watch and bracelet set my husband gave me for our wedding, my beautiful mikimoto pearls (I got from my aunt and uncle for my sweet 16), all the jewelry passed down from my grandmother, My 14k WG Garnet ring I had made for my 21st bday, All my ruby and diamond rings, my ombre pink sapphire pendant (I bought about 6 yrs ago before ombre was popular), my diamond bracelet and My diamond studs from a local jeweler in Atlanta.

Not worth it: My Tiffany's initial "K" necklace my sister gave to us as a bridesmaid gift. Its beautiful but I rarely wear it, all the costume jewelry I bought through out the years that has already broke or I never wear...

not sure about: My green diamond ring (Its very small and I think ive worn in 4 or 5 times in the past 4-5 years),
Worth it: Datejust, Diamond studs.

Not worth it: Hermes H hour watch (definitely a mistake). I have more regrets in non jewelry items: my once too many B-bag collection, and the Louboutins that I do not wear

My Black J12 is in a special category. I absolutely love it, and wear it all the time. Not sure if I would say it was worth the price though...

What size loubs lol! Always up for expanding my collection!

Worth it- e-ring and diamond eternity w-band, small Cartier tank franchise with MOP face, diamond hoops (wear daily), DY bangles in varying sizes- wear them all the time stacked with various other bracelets. Or individually on really casual days (I know others don't like them, but they have been my mainstays), white Hermes clic clac( haven't had more than a few months but love it for a pop of color), diamond pendants, white costume Michael Kors watch with faux diamond dial (my summer watch)

Not worth it- costumey necklaces that I never seem to wear, Tiffany mesh ring, DY heart locket (wore a ton when my DH gave it to me years ago, but just not into it anymore), LV Galliera PM (wore about 6 times in 3 years-sits in its dust bag, just isn't "me").

Worth it (to me): E-ring and wedding band, diamond stud earrings that belonged to my grandmother (no cost to me, but worth every bit of harassing I had to do to my parents to get them to send them to me!). DY quattrefoil pendant (worn almost every day for the last five years, so cost-per-wear is really low). Michele CSX 36 watch -- I get bored easily, so the interchangeable bands make me feel like a get a new watch every time I change it up. Hermes Cape Cod double tour watch -- much used and classic.

Worth it, but maybe not quite as much: lots of the bracelets I own -- love them all, but I'm not a layering type, so each one doesn't get worn much. Hermes Farandole 120 necklace: a very meaningful gift from DH, but it's heavy so I don't wear it nearly as often as I could, or should. Lots of stuff that I love but seldom wear, like my grey pearl necklace and a 4 carat green tourmaline ring.

Not worth it: Links of London silver charm bracelet with L of L and Tiffany silver charms. It was fun to put together, but I almost never wear it. A Mars and Valentine cocktail ring that is so huge it feels like a dinner platter on my hand. Also, lots of the impulse costume earrings I bought when I was in my 20s.

I find it interesting that people find David Yurman and other silver jewelery to be not worth it -- on resale, I totally understand, but I have three Yurman pieces and love them and wear them all: the quattrefoil necklace, a silver and gold crossover bracelet, and a blue topaz ring that is a color that just sings to me and gets compliments every time I wear it. I guess "worth it" to me has more to do with how much I love and wear an item as opposed to the monetary or resale value. :shrugs:

Also wanted to add to the Not Worth It category: Alex and Ani bracelets, the few pieces of Chanel costume jewelery I own, costume jewelery from J. Crew and Banana Republic. Cute stuff, but the money would have been better spent elsewhere!

catsinthebag said:
Worth it (to me): E-ring and wedding band, diamond stud earrings that belonged to my grandmother (no cost to me, but worth every bit of harassing I had to do to my parents to get them to send them to me!). DY quattrefoil pendant (worn almost every day for the last five years, so cost-per-wear is really low). Michele CSX 36 watch -- I get bored easily, so the interchangeable bands make me feel like a get a new watch every time I change it up. Hermes Cape Cod double tour watch -- much used and classic.

Worth it, but maybe not quite as much: lots of the bracelets I own -- love them all, but I'm not a layering type, so each one doesn't get worn much. Hermes Farandole 120 necklace: a very meaningful gift from DH, but it's heavy so I don't wear it nearly as often as I could, or should. Lots of stuff that I love but seldom wear, like my grey pearl necklace and a 4 carat green tourmaline ring.

Not worth it: Links of London silver charm bracelet with L of L and Tiffany silver charms. It was fun to put together, but I almost never wear it. A Mars and Valentine cocktail ring that is so huge it feels like a dinner platter on my hand. Also, lots of the impulse costume earrings I bought when I was in my 20s.

I find it interesting that people find David Yurman and other silver jewelery to be not worth it -- on resale, I totally understand, but I have three Yurman pieces and love them and wear them all: the quattrefoil necklace, a silver and gold crossover bracelet, and a blue topaz ring that is a color that just sings to me and gets compliments every time I wear it. I guess "worth it" to me has more to do with how much I love and wear an item as opposed to the monetary or resale value. :shrugs:

I don't think anyone would attest that (loving it and wearing it all the time necessitating worth) but I think what some people are saying is that they fell into buying it because it is popular and not because it is actually their style. Therefore they don't get as much use out of it and want to resell it.

Not trying to start anything just hoping to clarify! :smile:

Great thread - it was so interesting browsing through and see what everyone valued and disliked.

Worth it: Loving Tiffany at the moment, even if it is only silver. I'm loving the fluidity and classic design so many of the pieces possess and really enjoy them as my every-day pieces. Also love the silver bangles and rings I had specially made from silver scraps Dad gave (I thought they were ragged cheap metal when I first came across them and was ready to toss it all!). A few platinum pieces which I wear less often but like to pull out when I get fed up with silver tarnish.

Regrets: Other than the cheap costume type stuff of which I still accumulated a lot of because I get caught up in trends, I sometimes do regret buying the designer jewellery that's mainly base metal, enamel and such. They look fantastic but I'm wary that the re-sell value isn't exactly there and I like to have better investment pieces. (Examples: Juicy Couture & Marc Jacob necklaces and bracelets).

I really wish I've gone the platinum route all the way and not bothered with a few white gold necklaces.

In case it doesn't show, I'm a big silver-toned fan and don't like YG very much, or just gold in general! After my first gold necklace broke on me, I've always been a little more careful and I hate having to do that. Plus my high school chemistry teacher's adoration for platinum really set me on this route - she mentioned how even gold may react to some of the chemicals she dealt with and only platinum was inert and safe enough.

Oh, also regret buying the non-functional precious metal items like Tiffany money clip.