Totally worth it-totally not worth it!

Worth it:
Midsize Rolex (not allergic to RG), Lucien Piccard automatic Ceramic watches (not allergic to ceramic)
Quality diamonds and precious colored gemstones (always appreciate in time).
Diamond studs, bracelets; Jewelry with Platinum setting
LV limited edition bags

Not worth it:
All quartz watches (tons of those with dead batteries)
Lower quality diamonds and colored gemstones (bad investment)
Necklaces; Jewelry with 14k, 18k WG or YG setting (allergic)
Prada bags (they go out of fashion too fast and the soft leather wore out quickly)

On the Fence:
18k White Gold Chopard happy diamonds watch (I love the watch and I get tons of compliments but I can only wear it for a couple of hours before I get a big rash. I seldom wear it now)

gabz said:
i look at it worth as being determined by cost per wear: i have worn some of my costume pieces more then some of my real pieces!

I agree!

I've worn some costume pieces alot - my Hermes CDC, a pair of LV sweet monogram earrings and a Chanel pearl necklace. But I try to limit costume purchases just because I'd rather save for real pieces.

Worth it - pearl studs, very easy to wear, cartier ballon bleu s/s, my Tiffany diamond pieces - all of them lol, the designs are awesome, a couple of Chanel bags, Tiffany silver - I used to wear it alot and will save it for my daughter, Hermes medor watch although I need to get it repaired.

Not worth it - any handbag over $2,500, colored stones that are probably treated, heavy gold earrings, ex boyfriend jewelry lol, some over the top 22k pieces that I never wear, other Hermes Kelly dog bracelet - expensive and not really my style, honestly I'm not so into my yellow gold pieces but they will sell for good $$$

I guess my style is evolving and frankly now I have fancier items than before so some other things get less love.

Worth it:
My e-ring and wedding band
Diamond studs
Diamond cross pendant and necklace
Rolex Lady datejust
Cartier Roadster
Diamond hoops
Pandora bracelet (wear it every day)
And definitely my YG mop VCA 10 motif necklace and earrings... Planning to get more!!;)

Not worth it:
several sets of earrings and necklace in yg and sapphires/diamond, rubies/diamonds, emerald/diamonds... I never wear them!
All silver jewelry (Tiffany, Tomas Sabo, Tous) except for my Pandora bracelet...

I will update
Worth it : All of my VCA pieces. I love them. My Cartier Love bracelet and large hoops. Cartier trinity. Gucci 18k gold hoops. Diamond and 18YG bangle, 18K gold bangles from Roberto Coin . Grandmothers jewelry♥, Ering and band. Smokey topaz , diamond and YG ring.

Not worth it : Mikimoto pearls in motion. These were on my worth it list last time, but I only have worn them once. Still my Chanel black J12, never wear. All of my gemstone and diamond rings. I have about a dozen. I love them, but never ever wear them. Ippolita jewelry. I still have things unloved. Last david Yurman bracelet that I tossed in a drawer. I wayyy overpaid and wore it 2 times!
I wish I could sell all unworn things and get more VCA or Cartier!

Worth it: handmade pieces, mostly silver, that mark special occasions, including the set of bangles that i wear every day, and pendants from my favorite etsy artists--not costly, but unique.

Not worth it: all the designer stuff (Tiffany, Yurman) I bought in my 20s; we tend to care more about "labels" when we're younger, but then outgrow it; also, anything trendy, because trendy stuff becomes dated and goes to the bottom of the jewelry box (remember those "journey" diamond pendants from the 90s? or diamond cutting from the 70s)...

I need to purge my jewelry box!

Only recently started buying real jewelry although I have always loved it, so fortunately no regrets so far. And I still enjoy my costume pieces.

Worth It:
My diamond tennis bracelet, YG Love Bangle, diamond studs

Not worth it:

N/A and hoping I can keep it that way :sweatdrop:

ETA a stupid pair of Chanel earrings I bought for $300. I was carrying them in my palm closed and when I looked they had become disassembled. They had a little dangly charm. I'm not saying carrying them in my hand was the best choice but the earrings became disassembled just because of that? "Luckily"I was able to put them back together I put them away in my purse. Later that night there was only one in my bag. Guess it wasn't meant to be,fortunately I had already fallen out of love with them when I saw the lack of craftsmanship. So I'm not too upset about losing it, I didn't see them lasting.

On the fence:
My second Chanel pearl necklace. Did I really need two? My other one was already two layers. But the second one does double as a belt. Plus whenever I wear them I feel so very Chanel.

Last edited:
worth it: all my gold, pearls, diamonds, sapphire, and semi-precious jewelery, I really wear everything I have pretty regularly except...

not worth it: an antique Victorian 14k gold and pearl brooch I bought after reading a Victorian novel lol and was craving something from that time period. I wore it 2 or 3 times and don't plan on wearing it again. Years ago I was on a 14k and cz kick. I spent a lot of money on that stuff and wore it for a couple of years. I gave most of it away but still have 4 things left that I entertain trading in for the gold value.

Worth it:
VCA Alhambra jewelry, Tiffany etoile pieces(very wearable day/night),
Tiffany DBTY necklace,Tiffany atlas diamond WG earrings, bracelet,
Diamond studs, solitaire necklace,diamond eternity ring,diamond tennis bracelet
Elizabeth Locke gold and gem pieces-very expensive but I bought from eBay
Hermes farandole sterling necklace 160 cm(I know someone had this on not worth it- can wear it a million ways, doesn't tarnish)
basic YG and WG bangle set and earrings,can wear forever

Not worth it:
Small 14k gold or small gold and gem jewelry,
big gem rings or overly blinged diamond pieces. I don't get enough wear to justify the cost
All my sterling silver including Yurman. I just don't get around to cleaning it!

Worth it: all my yg jewelry and the more substantial 18k pieces.

Not worth it: all those dainty 14k And below pieces that I used to wear when I was younger and now find are too tiny. In fact, I just sold a bunch of these recently.

Worth it - stainless / gold Rolex oyster with diamond bezel and dial ( gift from parents for 30th bday almost 12 years ago )
- diamond tennis bracelet from hubby
- .40 CTW diamond studs ( handed down to daughter when I got my 1 CTW diamond studs )
-1.00 CTW diamond studs .
- new upgraded wedding set ( 1.30 ct solitaire and total of over 5 CTW of diamonds on the er band and wedding band - custom made for me !)
- Cartier yg love ring ( replacing my .80 ctw past,present future ring.

The only not worth it are my 2 James Avery silver charm bracelets . The only reason they're not worth it is bc I don't wearbthem anymore. But the sentimental value is priceless .

Dear Treasured, that was probably me..(reference to the Hermes necklace)..but it is not the necklace's fault. It is my fault for being so short and for not feeling comfortable with it....I know other's who wear it and look so chic.:smile:

Quote: "VCA Alhambra jewelry, Tiffany etoile pieces(very wearable day/night),
Tiffany DBTY necklace,Tiffany atlas diamond WG earrings, bracelet,
Diamond studs, solitaire necklace,diamond eternity ring,diamond tennis bracelet
Elizabeth Locke gold and gem pieces-very expensive but I bought from eBay
Hermes farandole sterling necklace 160 cm(I know someone had this on not worth it- can wear it a million ways, doesn't tarnish)
basic YG and WG bangle set and earrings,can wear forever

Not worth it:
Small 14k gold or small gold and gem jewelry,
big gem rings or overly blinged diamond pieces. I don't get enough wear to justify the cost
All my sterling silver including Yurman. I just don't get around to cleaning it![/QUOTE]

Reactions: sophiaberry
I'm a shortie too-I'm 5'3" so close to the length of the 160cm necklace LOL!
I can't wear it single length, it would look ridulous on me. I like to double or triple it, wear the toggle in back, front, lariat style etc. I like to have options. The best part for me is the tarnish factor. I have a few Tiffany and Yurman pieces I never wear because I just don't polish them.
My real difficulty is there are TOO many things I like!!!

Worth it to ME:
Diamond tennis bracelet
Diamond Journey necklace
Michele Watch
Pink Sapphire ring
W/E ring set
Tiffany silver/gold

Not Worth it to ME:
Tiffany dbty
Department store watches ie fossil, Timex etc
Pearls
Silver or Gold plated items