This is ridiculous-what am I supposed to do with this stray cat when it gets cold?

You can make cat shelters out of large Rubbermaid containers and use styrofoam and hay/straw (better than anything made of cloth as cloth freezes if it gets wet) for insulation. I had a page bookmarked with great examples but don't know what happened to it. If you google you can find examples.

I did print off a page from the site I found last year that showed just how to make these and when I find it I will scan it and post it.

no, that's the title and as with most not as precise as the actual post -- which, if you read it, clearly states that she wants to "feed it and help it out" and asks for advice as to how to do so.

but i don't think you and i debating the point is helpful, so i'm prepared to drop it.

If Jayne1 will not let the cat into her home, then she may aswell call on an animal shelter who will. What is the logic in wanting to feed but not take responsibility of the cat & home it? I think it is selfish & stupid & not well thought out at all. I don't understand Jayne1 at all & bnjj was only the first person to point out that this is pure & utter nonesence.

If Jayne1 will not let the cat into her home, then she may aswell call on an animal shelter who will. What is the logic in wanting to feed but not take responsibility of the cat & home it? I think it is selfish & stupid & not well thought out at all. I don't understand Jayne1 at all & bnjj was only the first person to point out that this is pure & utter nonesence.

I don't think this post is fair at all. Where I live, "no kill" shelters are few and far between - oh and did I mention they are all full and will not accept any more animals? "Regular" shelters euthanize feral cats upon receipt. bnjj posted her opinion of the situation, but it did not address the question at hand of how to care for the cat in the current situation.

I have had much experience with managing feral cats and I understand that "trap and take to a shelter" is not always an option. Contrary to the rose-colored belief, the majority of shelters do not accept every animal that comes through the door and let them live the rest of their natural lives in warmth with a full bowl of food. They have space requirements and most are overcrowded already. A cat that is not re-homeable (such as a feral with no socialization) will not last a day. Personally I feel that feeding this cat and at least attempting to provide some shelter is a better alternative than dumping the cat at a kill shelter, or worse yet, standing by and doing nothing. The OP stated the cat will not allow her near it, so how is she supposed to let it into her home, or re-home the pet?

The OP is attempting to help this animal, and I feel it is rather rude to call her "selfish and stupid" because of it.

Last edited:
I also many years ago use to feed a stray (I now have six cats of my own) and like you was worried when the weather started to get colder as she would not come into my home as I had a dog. Anyway not sure this is any help, but I found an old wooden packing crate, very solid kept out the cold and rain, I linned the bottom of it with plastic sheeting and then put some thick old blankets into the back area she slept in it every night until I eventually found her a good home. Hope that helps best of luck.
I think this is a good idea. I'm awful in this department, the last stray cat I saw is sitting next to me right now and knows me as Mama :P My mom's just as bad as me, whenever we see strays we want all of them

This is a very old thread and is a second thread to another one the OP posted about this same cat situation and, as I recall, my opinion was coming from the original thread.

I still think that cats should not be left to live outside if it is possible to take them to a no-kill shelter. However, as I posted above, some time back I came across a great site with examples of building cat shelters out of Rubbermaid containers and it had great pictures but I cannot find it now.

Last edited:
I still think that cats should not be left to live outside if it is possible to take them to a no-kill shelter. However, as I posted above, some time back I came across a great site with examples of building cat shelters out of Rubbermaid containers and it had great pictures but I cannot find it now.

ITA with your first sentence.

I've seen that site, too. I'll have to see if I can find it. As I recall it even had some diagrams and was quite inexpensive and easy.