This is ridiculous-what am I supposed to do with this stray cat when it gets cold?

I have the same worry here...I started feeding a stray over the summer, and now it is getting cold. I am worried as well, poor kitty! Taking him in my home is not an option since I have a cat already, 2 dogs and 3 children that tease the anilmals that I do have!

I hope that you are able to provide some shelter that your kitty will be happy with.

Jayne reading your story is so sweet and I honestly know how you feel!! I also live in a city and there are quite a few cats strays and owned ones in my neighbourhood...to cut a long story short, I took in a stray cat about 2 years ago (see my sig!) and he is the most wonderful cat, and I am so glad we gave him a home as he turned out to be very sick! He is slowly being nursed back to health...I take it as a sign that I was meant to help him! He certainly picked the right house! If he had been taken to a shelter he would most definitely have been put down, as the cost for his treatments has run into thousands of £££!

My advice for helping your stray kitty is to maybe put a small dog kennel outside if you have space?? This is what I did for my scraggy and he really appreciated it! Of course now he lives indoors, and another stray cat seems to have taken up residency in the kennel!! I put newspaper and change this regularly and this keeps it dry and cosy! Good luck and let us know how you get on!

I'm probably not the best person to answer this becaue I tend to go overboard when it comes to animals. I had a backyard stray that I fed and I would be so worried every single time it rained or every time the temperature dropped. I couldnt' take it anymore so I bought him a small doghouse and put an Lecto-kennel inside (you have to have an outdoor plug though). Then I bought some fleece and put it on top of the Lectro-kennel and that cat was ALWAYS in that house. And I felt better knowing that he had some place to get out of the cold and rain.

After a couple of years I decided to move and I did end up taking him with me and officially adopting him though-he's the cat in my avatar.

Here's the link to the Lectro-Kennel.
http://www.amazon.com/K-H-Manufatur...0?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1192792096&sr=8-3

I'm probably not the best person to answer this becaue I tend to go overboard when it comes to animals. I had a backyard stray that I fed and I would be so worried every single time it rained or every time the temperature dropped. I couldnt' take it anymore so I bought him a small doghouse and put an Lecto-kennel inside (you have to have an outdoor plug though). Then I bought some fleece and put it on top of the Lectro-kennel and that cat was ALWAYS in that house. And I felt better knowing that he had some place to get out of the cold and rain.

After a couple of years I decided to move and I did end up taking him with me and officially adopting him though-he's the cat in my avatar.

Here's the link to the Lectro-Kennel.
http://www.amazon.com/K-H-Manufatur...0?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1192792096&sr=8-3

Wow, that was so sweet of you....I've such an animal lover also, and would adopt every stray if I could.

Wow, that was so sweet of you....I've such an animal lover also, and would adopt every stray if I could.

Me too, I can't stand to see a stray, especially when it's cold or raining outside. I came home from work yesterday and there was a kitten at my house :sad: It's cold outside and it was raining so I made good use of the doghouse/lectro-kennel again last night. Since my old stray is an inside cat now, he's not using it anymore. Now I've just got to figure out what to do with the kitten, I brought him inside at first and put him in the spare bedroom with the door shut. He meowed so much that it started making my inside cats really nervous and one of them sprayed! They're both fixed so I wasn't expecting that. I had to put the kitten back outside but I felt better knowing I have the doghouse out there. The kitten is about 4 or 5 months old and so sweet!

I too like the idea of providing a small kennel with hays/straws inside.

Also, what about a heated cat bed that you can leave on your porch. Here is a link to one, it looks so comfy..

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store...0&ps_session=4cd2010fe09601274a5bc0a9f31da4c4

Another heated pad as an alternative to straws/hays (Thermo Kitty pad):

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store...0&ps_session=4cd2010fe09601274a5bc0a9f31da4c4

I praise you for your kindness to the stray cat and your decision to spare him/her from death (by not taking him/her to the shelter). And I praise others too who have mentioned their devotion to stray cats. Stray cats always have a special spot in me, I have several myself. If I could, I wanna help all the strays that crossed my path. With a proper diet, and lots of TLC, my strays have turned to beautiful and loving cats, and I have never for a second, regretted ever taking them. Although pedigree cats are beautiful, I will prefer to take another stray if I want to add another cat.

Do you have a Cat Rescue assoc. in your area? This is an organization made up of foster homes and adopts cats out to good homes. It's not a shelter and they do not euthanize!!
And they usually will come out and trap it humanely.

Do you have a Cat Rescue assoc. in your area? This is an organization made up of foster homes and adopts cats out to good homes. It's not a shelter and they do not euthanize!!
And they usually will come out and trap it humanely.

I can't speak for the original poster but I've contacted every rescue organization in my area and they're all full. And when they do have space they go and get cats from the kill shelters so it's very hard to get placement in one of those. I've even tried two different counties humane societies because normally they have waiting lists if they're full but they're so "overstocked" right now that there isn't even a waiting list! It really leaves you with no choice but to keep the cat yourself or bring it to a kill shelter. I'm just keeping the kitten that I found outside for now and hope that someone will respond to my lost and found ads.

As someone who is familiar with pet legislation in Ontario, I can tell you that feeding the stray makes you it's custodian. I am very happy to hear you want to keep the cat comfortable in the winter! If not taking the cat inside you will require a heated water dish to keep water thawed, a shelter of some sort with straw bedding (just drive north of Toronto and you'll find hay and straw for sale - or check A&P or other grocery stores for fall decor). Unfortunately the rodent bedding suggested is inappropriate if it holds water. It will make an icy place to sleep if this is the case, and do the opposite of what was intended. Also, straw is way more inexpensive and therefore more inticing to change and keep fresh for the kitty. Good luck, and thanks for caring!

Jayne, any update on what you decided to do for the kitty? Let me know if you want any help. I'm happy to contribute to a kitty house and heater, still.

bumping this thread as I was looking for info on a heated bed. I finally found one and ordered it last week. Can't wait to get it! I never knew such a thing existed. I've posted in past threads that I take care of a neighbors cat who basically never lived there (long story). This cat lives in a shed in my yard. I've made a bed, we feed it, etc.With another winter (his third) coming I kept wondering what to do. I did bring him in a few nights last winter but my inside cat hates him and they would fight. I ordered a three in one heated bed and will keep you all posted.

I honestly thought I had already posted in this thread. At our old apartment we fed some stray/feral cats. When winter came, we stressed the same way you are about the kitties being cold and wet, so I *totally* understand how you feel.

Here is what we ended up doing, and it worked really well. We went out and bought a couple of plastic covered litterboxes. This type: http://www.petstuffresale.com/Pet_Stuff/Cat/090615PinkCoveredLitterBox_lg.jpg

You can find them very inexpensively at Wal-Mart or Target, or even garage sales. Obviously the boxes need to be clean. lol I put a layer of folded up old newspaper in the bottom for insulation. Then we took an older blanket (I would use wool or fleece - something that "feels" warm) that I folded up inside the boxes into a "U" shape to cover the bottom & partway up the sides. If you don't have anything old lying around you could probably pick up something cheap at dollar type stores or garage sales. We ran a layer of duct tape around the seam on the outside, where top of box meets bottom, just to keep wind from getting through there. Then we wrapped/draped another old blanket around the outside/top of the box (leaving the opening available) for insulation, and set each box inside a large, heavy-duty trash bag, to provide a barrier against moisture (like rain) getting into the box and soaking all the blankets. Obviously the bag opening will need to coincide with the box opening so kitty can get in and out, and we tucked the excess bag underneath the bottom of the box to keep it secured in the wind. We set the boxes up against a wall with the opening facing south, so the north wind wasn't blowing straight into the box. If you live in a really windy area, you may want to put some rocks or something up against the box so it won't blow over. Many times we saw the kitties curled up in there, safe from the elements. Trust me, if the cat gets cold enough, she'll figure it out.

This is an inexpensive solution, and honestly the box is so small that it really isn't obtrusive at all. You could also look on Craigslist for a doghouse or Igloo, I see people giving them away all the time. Just make sure you clean it well so it doesn't smell like dog!

Last edited:
Just wanted to mention that I use cedar stuffing (they sell it at Walmart as guinea pig bedding I think) for our dog's outside doghouse. I live in WY so it does get quite cold and while they are not outside at night or all day, they do stay outside one morning a week and sometimes that is in the snow. They go in there and curl up and stay toasty warm. Probably not necessary if you are getting a heated bed but just in case anyone was looking for other options!