Think Mink

View attachment 3466094 View attachment 3466095 View attachment 3466096 @papertiger and other mink-experts - what do you think of this Valentino mink jacket? It's most likely a couple of seasons old, unlined, faced with goat leather (?) and dyed mink, of Finnish origin. I was looking for a casual, short jacket but have never seen one without a satin lining. You can see the natural lining on the collar.

Any thoughts on what would be a reasonable price for it? And what should I look for regarding condition and quality?

It's still pretty hot here so it felt so strange trying it on.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure I would call it 'casual' but if you can make it work and love it, go for it. If you want it lined it will cost about £400 (approx. $530) for a top furrier, less if you supply the material.

Price-wise I'd expect to pay a bit more for a designer label mink than from a furrier, but you can be sure a furrier made it for a label. You can have it appraised for insurance for an accurate amount of what it would cost to replace.

you can be sure a furrier made it for a label
Thanks. papertiger. the care tag says Ciwi Furs, which apparently makes them for Valentino, Fendi etc. It was 3k CAD down from a lot more. The tag also says A Neovison, dyed mink, backs, from Finland.

My main concerns are
1. that the pelts would dry out, due to being unlined. And since the collar shows, I would not be able to line that.
2. the quality, since I'm not buying it from a furrier, or large department store where I can compare other brands or have some semblance of a guarantee.
3. Would I be able to find something in that price range that was similar length, quality, but a more classic cut? I can wait - I have many other coats, but this was an impulse buy, and can still be returned.

I was thinking Casual, in the length, and colour, I guess, and that I would use it in regular rotation for day/work wear. Plus my wardrobe is dressy casual - no jeans, but no suits either.

Some of the gorgeous ones posted in this thread, I don't think I could get regular use as my lifestyle is mostly work, and running around the city - rarely super dressy events.

Yes, PJ's and mink are not always ideal together but then I am looking to order some mink slippers! Please post pics when you get the chance.

Hahaha! I will it is still quite hot here, and I'll be a way for 2 weeks, when I come back I'll post some pictures.
The mink slippers sound very intriguing ! Please post pictures !

View attachment 3466094 View attachment 3466095 View attachment 3466096 @papertiger and other mink-experts - what do you think of this Valentino mink jacket? It's most likely a couple of seasons old, unlined, faced with goat leather (?) and dyed mink, of Finnish origin. I was looking for a casual, short jacket but have never seen one without a satin lining. You can see the natural lining on the collar.

Any thoughts on what would be a reasonable price for it? And what should I look for regarding condition and quality?

Thanks in advance.

I can't really give you an advise, but this coat doesn't look very casual to me.

Reactions: Genie27

Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert. The color is pretty, except there seems to be way too much ruffles for me. JMHO

Thanks. papertiger. the care tag says Ciwi Furs, which apparently makes them for Valentino, Fendi etc. It was 3k CAD down from a lot more. The tag also says A Neovison, dyed mink, backs, from Finland.

My main concerns are
1. that the pelts would dry out, due to being unlined. And since the collar shows, I would not be able to line that.
2. the quality, since I'm not buying it from a furrier, or large department store where I can compare other brands or have some semblance of a guarantee.
3. Would I be able to find something in that price range that was similar length, quality, but a more classic cut? I can wait - I have many other coats, but this was an impulse buy, and can still be returned.

I was thinking Casual, in the length, and colour, I guess, and that I would use it in regular rotation for day/work wear. Plus my wardrobe is dressy casual - no jeans, but no suits either.

Some of the gorgeous ones posted in this thread, I don't think I could get regular use as my lifestyle is mostly work, and running around the city - rarely super dressy events.

An absence of lining doesn't make it dry out any more than one with. In fact in makes it easier to moisturise it (which is what furriers do to 'recondition').
That's true, but you can tell if the pelts are soft and fall easily and the fur feels soft and uniform
I'm sure you would. At the end of the day, if you want a shrug-on, classic cut jacket then wait. It's very 'Valentino' though ;)

Thanks in advance.
I really like this fur. The pelts looks good quality and I also like the colour. I would have thought lining such a fur is pretty inexpensive also, I suppose you could quite easily pop into a furrier for a quote.

I think the price is very reasonable.

Yes, I do like the cut and colour. It's not so common here. Previously I've tried on more traditionally styled furs in the salons and they've swallowed me up both in size and colour - even a basic stole was made for a much taller, more imposing person. It looked ridiculous on me.

I'm leaning slightly towards keeping it, but also realize this is coming out of my Birkin fund. So my next question is - mink now or steely-eyed focus on my first (only) B in 2017?

If you could pick one over the other, would you choose a mink coat over a Birkin?

Yes, I do like the cut and colour. It's not so common here. Previously I've tried on more traditionally styled furs in the salons and they've swallowed me up both in size and colour - even a basic stole was made for a much taller, more imposing person. It looked ridiculous on me.

I'm leaning slightly towards keeping it, but also realize this is coming out of my Birkin fund. So my next question is - mink now or steely-eyed focus on my first (only) B in 2017?

If you could pick one over the other, would you choose a mink coat over a Birkin?
I think you might get different answers depending on whether you post this in this thread or a Hermes thread.

Honestly I think it looks really nice. I like the cut and the fit on you. The pelts can only be judged if felt but you seem happy with them.

From past experience I would guess that it might be something you regret if you return. You will find others for certain but this one is very nice.

Thanks in advance.

Love it! V high fashion & a beautiful colour. Is there a label that shows on the leather side? Are here hooks or other fasteners that would work on either side? The jacket might be reversable so you could wear the leather side out a different look.

Love it! V high fashion & a beautiful colour. Is there a label that shows on the leather side? Are here hooks or other fasteners that would work on either side? The jacket might be reversable so you could wear the leather side out a different look.

The tag is only attached at the corners with one stitch, so can be removed. There are large hooks and snap buttons but those work either way. but the seams are taped with natural grosgrain ribbon to match the natural lining. That part might look odd reversed. Will try and report back. It would look nice as a leather jacket with mink collar and ruffle. What a great idea!!

Ok, so I went to the saks fur salon and tried on some minks (and omg sable) - the feel of the saks minks was definitely luxurious and glossy under the store spotlights - the Valentino is soft and silky, but has not been stored properly and might need some care - I think I will have to take it to be checked by an expert cleaner before I decide - that's a lot to pay for something that's not in good condition.

There was a Yves Solomon bomber style in black (reversible with a hood) that was a marginally higher price to the V. Didn't think I'd like the black, but the iridescence caught the light, and it was quite nice on me, but I don't love it.

At least I know that if I return the V, I could find something in that price point/length that could work for me. The colour, cut and look of the V are what I find special on me.

Thanks to all you lovely ladies, sharing all your knowledge and advice, this has been such a fun, educational and non-stressful process - I still haven't decided one way or the other, but I feel pleased, whatever the final outcome. Thank you!!

Reactions: papertiger
Ok, so I went to the saks fur salon and tried on some minks (and omg sable) - the feel of the saks minks was definitely luxurious and glossy under the store spotlights - the Valentino is soft and silky, but has not been stored properly and might need some care - I think I will have to take it to be checked by an expert cleaner before I decide - that's a lot to pay for something that's not in good condition.

There was a Yves Solomon bomber style in black (reversible with a hood) that was a marginally higher price to the V. Didn't think I'd like the black, but the iridescence caught the light, and it was quite nice on me, but I don't love it.

At least I know that if I return the V, I could find something in that price point/length that could work for me. The colour, cut and look of the V are what I find special on me.

Thanks to all you lovely ladies, sharing all your knowledge and advice, this has been such a fun, educational and non-stressful process - I still haven't decided one way or the other, but I feel pleased, whatever the final outcome. Thank you!!
... and good luck.

Thanks in advance.
I don't fall into the catagory of 'mink expert' but I know one thing - I love that fur! I think it really suits you as well.