The Real Housewives of Vancouver, BC Canada!

I don't know of the Reiko/Jody feud is fake for the show - Jody is a liar, but Reiko doesn't strike me as one and she seems so upset about it and starting a class act lawsuit against the store

I agree, I don't see Reiko as a liar either, but something about that storyline seems less than believable to me. But then, someone pointed out that Jody probably fudges her income/expenses so that she doesn't have to pay as much for taxes, so officially, it looks like her store doesn't make as much money. That I could definitely see!

I agree, I don't see Reiko as a liar either, but something about that storyline seems less than believable to me. But then, someone pointed out that Jody probably fudges her income/expenses so that she doesn't have to pay as much for taxes, so officially, it looks like her store doesn't make as much money. That I could definitely see!

I could see that!

$97K annually for that store just don't make sense for someone who claims to be a multi millionaire - how is she making all her money then?

Either the store is a fraud or her claiming to be a multi millionaire is a big fat lie!!

I'm sure Jody has a bookkeeper and an accountant and they do not fudge anything for anyone. They're not about to go to jail for a shop-keeper who wants to save some money in tax.

Are you saying Jody has a cash business? The nail place I go to takes cash and so do all the cleaning ladies... they must not pay any tax at all.

Jayne1 said:
I'm sure Jody has a bookkeeper and an accountant and they do not fudge anything for anyone. They're not about to go to jail for a shop-keeper who wants to save some money in tax.

Are you saying Jody has a cash business? The nail place I go to takes cash and so do all the cleaning ladies... they must not pay any tax at all.

Well, my DF is an income tax prosecutor. You'd be surprised at the types that end up in court. Jody's character, as portrayed on the show, seems rather unconcerned with integrity, and lots of business owners do their own bookkeeping. It wasn't a blanketed statement, however, that all cash businesses commit income tax fraud. In fact, I didn't say anything about cash income so I don't know where you drew the generalization from. All I said was I wouldn't be surprised if Jody was a bit crooked. Given her shady legal history, I think that's a fair statement.

Well, my DF is an income tax prosecutor. You'd be surprised at the types that end up in court. Jody's character, as portrayed on the show, seems rather unconcerned with integrity, and lots of business owners do their own bookkeeping. It wasn't a blanketed statement, however, that all cash businesses commit income tax fraud. In fact, I didn't say anything about cash income so I don't know where you drew the generalization from. All I said was I wouldn't be surprised if Jody was a bit crooked. Given her shady legal history, I think that's a fair statement.

ITA!

Also given the fact that tons of people are now coming out of the woods claiming her store added a merchant fee to their credit card bill (same as what Reiko claimed) aswell as all the lawsuits you found for her - VERY SHADY indeed

I never implied you said it was a cash business, I meant are you suggesting that she may take cash under the table for some clothing purchases. How else can someone commit tax fraud. I was thinking out loud. How do people do it...

I'm assuming she has a bookkeeper, she couldn't possibly run a proper business and do the online spreadsheets, databases, balance sheets, income statements and totals, expenditures receipts, accounts payable, accounts receivable, etc. She's into food and fashion, not numbers.

Also, all the accountants I know would never risk their livelihood to fudge financial records so the friend could save a bit on their tax return.

Jody may be mean, argumentative and annoying, but I don't necessarily think she's corrupt. :shrugs:

ITA!

Also given the fact that tons of people are now coming out of the woods claiming her store added a merchant fee to their credit card bill (same as what Reiko claimed) aswell as all the lawsuits you found for her - VERY SHADY indeed
Seriously? Who is saying this?

If I got home and looked at my AMEX receipt and saw I was charged 5% or 7% (or whatever) more than what I thought the amount would be -- I would go right back to the store and complain. Wouldn't you? Who allows themselves to be charged merchant fees?

Accountants can be very creative as to how income and expenses are recorded while not being criminal. You should see all the stuff my boss writes off against his corporation. All of this is at the suggestion of his accountant - a very large firm in Canada.

If Jody and Mia are writing off any of their bags, clothes, furs, etc., as business expenses then that would bring down the store's income.

Perhaps Jody makes the majority of her money (or maybe her wealth is vastly overstated - after all, she does not own a jet) from her catering business.

When Jody told Mary she had her sunglasses on - a trait her darling daughter has clearly picked up - becuase she had just had her eyes done, I wondered what that was supposed to mean. I'm sure it was a lie but I have no idea what she could have even been meaning by "done".

Seriously? Who is saying this?

If I got home and looked at my AMEX receipt and saw I was charged 5% or 7% (or whatever) more than what I thought the amount would be -- I would go right back to the store and complain. Wouldn't you? Who allows themselves to be charged merchant fees?

Thats what Reiko did.

Did you watch the last episode?

She has blogged and tweeted that she did report to Amex and they investigated and reversed the charges...Reiko is now considering starting a class action lawsuit with several others against The Glasshouse

Accountants can be very creative as to how income and expenses are recorded while not being criminal. You should see all the stuff my boss writes off against his corporation. All of this is at the suggestion of his accountant - a very large firm in Canada.

If Jody and Mia are writing off any of their bags, clothes, furs, etc., as business expenses then that would bring down the store's income.

Perhaps Jody makes the majority of her money (or maybe her wealth is vastly overstated - after all, she does not own a jet) from her catering business.
But that's legal. That's what a good accountant does and should do.

People are suggesting that Jody is doing something very illegal and that has to be without the help of a good accountant who would maximize profitability within the law. :shrugs:

Thats what Reiko did.

Did you watch the last episode?

She has blogged and tweeted that she did report to Amex and they investigated and reversed the charges...Reiko is now considering starting a class action lawsuit with several others against The Glasshouse
Yes, I saw it and found it odd. Now I'm wondering if I should get out my calculator every time I make a purchase at a small store and make sure I was charged 13% and no more. In case someone is doing something sneaky.

I thought you mentioned that others were saying they were over-charged too. Not just Reiko.

But that's legal. That's what a good accountant does and should do.

People are suggesting that Jody is doing something very illegal and that has to be without the help of a good accountant who would maximize profitability within the law. :shrugs:

Yes, exactly my point. She could be writing of a tonne of things that really are not business expenses but can be made to look like they are.