Teacher Vent Thread - *SUPPORT ONLY!*

I'm counting down! I have to make it to the end of June...but this week is the last week of classes. I need the break!!! I always get stuck with crappy timetables so I'm worried about the fall. Hope you guys are enjoying your summers!

Junkenpo said:
NINE more days.

I'm so tired of this year. I'm tired of teachers being blamed for things beyond our control. I hate that every governor in our state since ever runs on an education platform and then screws us over when it comes time to negotiate contracts.

Does any one on here co-teach?

that's another yuck.

I hear ya. It's a negotiations year where I am and things are apparently going to be messy, at least the way they are going right now.

I think my last post here was a year ago. Class was great last year, admin was less than stellar (as usual).

Second day back at it. Can't wait for them to learn the routine. Already had to call a parent about their child's behavior. Oh, and a kid said to me today, "You have a lot of fat." Nice...thanks for noticing. <insert fat sweaty teacher smilie>

What age do you teach?

My students are mostly okay at the moment, but I do have some boys who have potty mouths and think they are funny. They swear when they are talking to each other, not to or at me (limited vocab).

I go back the end of the month - don't even want to think about going in to work on my room!:P This is going to be a really interesting year - our principal announced last spring that this will be her last year because she wants to go back to school (in reality she has been asked to leave because of a lack of doing her job but the district is allowing her to save face - rumor has it she threatened a lawsuit). So, she will either be a lame duck and not do anything or she will make our lives miserable (there was a vote of no-confidence by the staff two years ago) - either way - good times ahead!:rolleyes:

I think my last post here was a year ago. Class was great last year, admin was less than stellar (as usual).

Second day back at it. Can't wait for them to learn the routine. Already had to call a parent about their child's behavior. Oh, and a kid said to me today, "You have a lot of fat." Nice...thanks for noticing. <insert fat sweaty teacher smilie>
The problem with this is that if you respond the way you want to (or they way I would want to:P) - you are the one who gets in trouble...

What age do you teach?

My students are mostly okay at the moment, but I do have some boys who have potty mouths and think they are funny. They swear when they are talking to each other, not to or at me (limited vocab).

I teach first grade. Some kids are just cruel. Anyone who disagrees just needs to spend some time in a classroom or watch that video of that bus monitor being abused. My heart broke for her. The problem is the parents think, "Not my child."

I teach first grade. Some kids are just cruel. Anyone who disagrees just needs to spend some time in a classroom or watch that video of that bus monitor being abused. My heart broke for her. The problem is the parents think, "Not my child."

wow, unbelievable what small kids can get up to...

can I suggest input from both a teacher's (I lecture at uni but it is often not that different, at least where I teach) and parent's point of view: i have a first grader and if I hadn't seen some behaviours myself (with other kids, never with the teacher) I wouldn't have believed it. it is always a combination of everything of course but from a parent perspective it is so difficult to raise your child 'right' - that is standing up for themselves but being sensitive to others, independent but listening to the teacher, friendly but with some distance, etc etc, sometimes the theme of the day takes the child over (we live 30 seconds walking from the school and I often get to see him in his interactions). so sometimes you genuinely cannot believe your child will do certain things (really I mean really you cannot believe it). it is not that we don't want to believe the teacher but we can't put certain things together with your child.

that of course does not excuse kids being rude and abusive to their teachers or anyone else adult in charge. how the heck?

the students I teach are really teenagers and act as those, especially first semester. they are all cute but studying is usually the last concern they have, trying to maintain their performance is a ridiculous struggle sometimes.

SIGH. I am so over this career. I am burned out so badly I feel like a shell of what I used to be. I'm so tired of society villainzing teachers.

These new common core standards being shoved down everyone's throats have written teachers out of the picture. Even at my own school, they keep saying, "We don't want to see teacher-led instruction. We want to see the children teacher chidlren." WTH? What am I THERE for? And if that works, then why did any of us ever need teachers?

I'm tired of the parents believing every crazy story the child makes up. I'm tired of administration worrying only about keeping parents happy, regardless of what that looks like.

I am officially looking for a way out. I'm so over it I can't see why anyone wants to stay anymore, and I question what this career will look like in another 10 years. I feel used and abused by children, administrators, parents, politicians...society as a whole.

aww fabae, I'm so sorry you're having a rough time. Morale has been rough in Hawaii, too... our "education governor" has been anything but and spins teacher complaints and requests into being anti-"for the kids". We're asked to sacrifice so much, but people forget we need to make a living, too. I don't want to be rich, I just want to be able to pay my bills without needing a second job.

We're finally voting on a contract today after working without one for the last few years.

I'm good with common core, though. It's a paradigm shift for me and the kids... a good one though, we've been transitioning to the core over the last couple years so I actually feel okay.
Teacher evals/raises based on test scores, though, especially when kids have no reason to well other than self satisfaction of knowing they "did their best"...pffft. that's what's bumming me out.

Common Core - like everything else adopted over the last 15 years I've been in the career - has its pros and cons, for sure. I'm just so down on it all.....

I've been on the verge of "done" for a few years now. I just don't know what to do. However, it's gotten to the point at which I just need to go. I need a drastic change and, though I'm uncomfortable with change to a great degree, it's time. I feel like I've wasted 15 years of my life. What a horrible way to feel! I know that's not even fair to myself because even when I want to be anywhere else but work, I do my absolute best for the kids and still even get good evalutaions. I just... I don't know..I don't have the words really. No one really understands how extremely difficult this career is until they've done it.

Common Core - like everything else adopted over the last 15 years I've been in the career - has its pros and cons, for sure. I'm just so down on it all.....

I've been on the verge of "done" for a few years now. I just don't know what to do. However, it's gotten to the point at which I just need to go. I need a drastic change and, though I'm uncomfortable with change to a great degree, it's time. I feel like I've wasted 15 years of my life. What a horrible way to feel! I know that's not even fair to myself because even when I want to be anywhere else but work, I do my absolute best for the kids and still even get good evalutaions. I just... I don't know..I don't have the words really. No one really understands how extremely difficult this career is until they've done it.

Can you look for work or maybe talk to a career counselor over the summer?
This is my 10th year teaching, and I see this pendulum that just goes back and forth, but we never seem to move forward. We are also moving towards the common core, which I can see the positives of, if we stick with it. Our local paper is obsessed with teacher sick days, and how many we take (our district is below the state and national average). Our contract is up in August (if you want to call it that, we ended up with a two year pay cut when health care costs were factored in), and like you we are the bad guys - when all we want is a decent wage. If I hear one more time "well, you have summers off" I think I will scream!
I do love the kids, and that is my focus. This year I have been having lunch in my room because the lunch room is really just a b**ch session everyday. I tried a career adjustment this year - I decided to try committees instead of tutoring kids after school - huge mistake - tutoring keeps me focused, committees are just a lot of talking....we can make it to the end of the year.....:P

Hello ladies! I'm so glad I found this thread. I used to work in public relations, got laid off, decided I'd rather not work in a cubicle all day, and so am now a substitute teacher. Figured it'd be better to try actually working with kids, since I was flirting with the idea of getting a masters and becoming a teacher.

I like being a substitute but have realized that some schools can be great, truly great, and others just friggin suck. Or fall somewhere in between, the staff is good but the kids are not or vice verse.

If you have any tips for a brand new substitute please let me know!

Oh, and I stay far far FAR AWAY from the teachers lounge, never heard anything good coming out of there.