Sorority Life

I've actually heard quite a bit about the sororities there! My sister contemplated UGA, but she was turned off by her friend's sister, who was part of the most popular sorority on campus. They apparently required you to be in dresses and heels, at every football game, no matter how cold, how wet, etc. Hair had to be a certain style/color, no facial piercings, a bunch of strict rules. Very old-fashioned and dated! In the end, even at FSU, she decided sororities weren't worth the time and effort that they took.

i'm glad that someone from a predominantly-black sorority posted, because that's one of the major things that bothered me about the type of sorority i was in - it wasn't inclusive at all. my sorority was less rigid, so we had a few non-white members, but most sororities didn't. Alpha Gamma Delta at UGA actually got in a lot of trouble a few years ago because they eliminated a girl at rush because she was black. the whole thing just seems so racist and atiquated, particularly on a southern campus that is actively trying to recruit more black and hispanic students.

Chi Omega. A bunch of the rules you guys are talking about are actually national for certain houses. Like they don't want you wearing a pin or letters looking like a slob, doing unseemly things (smoking etc) while people can tell what your association is etc. I had a great experience and met some of my best friends. :P

sorry, European with no sorority system here....
-so what is it ? what are the social actions you're engaged into ? how different is it from just having a group of friends ? and why the greek letters ?
The closest I got while in US was this "how to survive being a girl student in Industrial Design ?" !!!

I'm Alpha Sigma Tau. I Can't Believe I Missed This Post ~ I Think Because There Were Couple Others A While Back.

I:heart:'d Sorority Life. It Was (& Still Is) So Special To Me.

^^ Chi Omega too. Had to get to this page to find a few Chi O sisters. :smile:

Yea, more Chi Omegas!! Hey sistas!! :P :heart:

I graduated from Texas Christian University, TCU, and loved the greek system there! Very greek school and most of the sororities are strong. The most popular were probably Tri Delt, KKG, and XO. I was Panhellenic Pres, so I obviously had a great experience.

Amanda, UGA is strict! I thought TCU was, but your story takes the cake!