Sorority Life

1. The last two weeks I have been talking to all the new pledges in my neighborhood that are home on break. They were all excited talking about their colleges/universities and where they pledged. They just had so much excitement in their gorgeous faces and bodies to match, of course! So it got me to wondering....

1)What school did you attend?

2)Where did you pledge?

3)What were the top sororities at your school? (I ask because that one thing they talked about)

2. I am a zeta delta pi girl!

3. Well, it was about 20 years ago for me, but back in the day:

Willamette University, (Salem, OR)
    I pledged Delta Gamma. Oh yeah, we were the party girls AND had the highest GPA to boot ;)

Now keep in mind this is a small liberal arts school, so we only had 3 sororities and 6 fraternities. But the greek system was really strong...each sorority had about 80-90 members which is about what you would have at a Pac 10 school I'm sure.

We didn't really have a 'top' house. It was a different type of existence. Panhellenic allows minimum of 3 sororities per school. We only had 3, so we knew if one went the others would too. So there was a larger sort of 'sisterhood' amongst us, rather than a lot of the rivalry and competition you might see at a larger school.

I loved every second of sorority life!

4. Pursegrrl...sounds like it was alot different when you went to school. The girls I spoke with were so very competitive. At least it seemed that way to me from listening to all of them.

5. ^^ Yep...a different era (mid 80s) and a different school (small!). Sure, each house had girls everyone wanted to pledge but it was nowhere near the competitiveness at other schools.

6. I went to Michigan State University, and I was an Alpha Gamma Delta. I didn't feel that it was too competitive, although each sorority did have GPA requirements. Some were a little more lenient than others, but as I recall you had to have at least a 2.5 average for most (which for some people was difficult to keep, especially if you were partying very hard and not doing well in your classes). I can't recall how many sororities and fraternities that we had. In recent years, some houses have lost their chapters at MSU because there was a drop in people joining.

7. I never even thought there was a drop in people that wanted to pledge....interesting.

8. At Brown University there are only 2 sororitys and I was in Alpha Chi Omega. When I pleged there was about 20 girls and my class was about 17. Last semester we had about 35.

I belive the other sorority has around 30-40ish.

9. ^^^ OMG one of my close friends is an Alpha Chi Omega but in DePauw :nuts: i pledged Kappa Phi Lambda (asian sorority). the GPA requirement was only a 2.0 and people still dropped out of school ... the pledging was that bad. also, i go to a school in the city so the majority of pledges were mostly these girls i didn't like that didn't care about academics :sad: that made me stand out alot since i was in honors. this sorority was also the most popular one for asian cliques and the majority of all my friends were in them. oh yeah and in most pledge classes only 2-3 cross.

10. ^^ that is so awesome she's an Alpha Chi. Its a good thing that you didn't let the whole standing out because you were an honors get to you, it would be hard for me so I really admire you for that.

11. Oh gosh, it's been nearly 15 years, but I was a Kappa Delta at Cornell. From my understanding, the Greek system in the Northeast is a little different from that in other parts of the country - not a social "must do" but just another option for student involvement.

At the time, there were about 15 sororities and over 50 fraternities (some were really, REALLY small). The Greek system accounted for about 30% of the entire undergraduate student body. There wasn't a ton of social pressure to rush or join a house.

Each of the sororities pledged about 30-40 women each year and had about ~100ish total members at the time. Each year, usually about 30-40 lived in the house - it was a dorm-like setting.

At the time, there didn't seem to be "top" sororities; there was the "athlete" house or house that partied more than others but most weren't too different from on another; fraternities were a little different story, given there were so many. There were ones with sports affiliations (e.g. the lacrosse house) or ones with many members sharing the same religious affiliation. But then again, this was years ago and things change.

I loved my sorority experience since I made great friends who are still my closest friends today, despite that we are scattered around the world now. I also held leadership positions in the house and thought this was tremendously valuable experience to apply to my life post-college.

12. i go to the University of Georgia, and in large universities in the south, the greek system is BIG. i pledged Delta Gamma, but i de-sistered after a semester. it wasn't for me, it took so much time, it was SO strict (you weren't allowed to let your roots grow out past one inch, you weren't allowed to wear a sorority t-shirt or tote bag with the letters on it if you were also going to wear sweatpants in public, you weren't allowed to smoke in your own car if it had the sorority letters on it, which you were required to have in order to park at the sorority).

this wasn't just my sorority by any means, all the sororities at UGA are like that, if not MORE strict. i joined mine because it had a reputation for being a little more laid back, but it wasn't enough. they were all very sweet girls and i felt like they accepted me and really liked me, and i felt bad about leaving, but it was not for me. it also cost $1400 a semester, which i think is a little steep, considering i didn't live or eat at the house. sororities and fraternities at UGA have grand, old-style southern mansions (columns, porches, the whole bit) on a street called Milledge Avenue, and it costs a lot to keep them up and decorated (all the sororities have their own chefs, and we had an interior designer, i believe).

the top houses at UGA are probably ADPi, AChiO, KD, and Tri Delt. I think we have about 20 sororities. the top houses have about 60 girls per pledge class, so usually 200ish in the sorority. i purposely didn't pledge one of these places, like i said before. if i had, i probably would have de-sistered even faster!

13. I pledged at U. of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign), where the greek system was HUGE. The "good" houses had around 200-300 members. I believe there were around 25 sororities at the time (early 90's). There were definitely "good" sororities, "okay" sororities, and "not so good" sororities. I pledged Kappa Delta, which was considered one of the top 5, which were: Alpha Chi Omega, DG, Kappa Alpha Theta, Tri Delt, and KD. However, I stopped participating after 1 year because it just wasn't my scene. Mine was a big party house with almost every social activity based solely on alcohol (and other substances on occasion). Being a non-drinker, I just didn't fit in nor enjoy myself much. It's hard always being the only sober person among a bunch of hard-partiers!

I don't know what the greek system is like nowadays at my college. I get the impression that it's not as important as it was when I was there.

BUT, 2 of my closest friends now are from my sorority experience 13 years ago, so it was worth it in the end!

14. I graduated from MIT nearly twenty years ago, and when I pledged Alpha Phi, it was the only sorority on campus. At the beginning of my senior year Alpha Chi Omega started a chapter and I ended up being the first Panhellenic president, overseeing our first competitive rush.

I think there are at least five sorority chapters on campus now, and I have no idea which are considered best. MIT depends upon the fraternity system in order to house its undergraduates, and thus nearly half the campus is Greek.

Although PanHel and IFC members have some of their own activities, they're not viewed as particularly exclusive and most events are open to all. Some houses are perenially struggling and others live high on the hog. There are several co-ed frats too. MIT offers pretty much any type of living situation a student is looking for.

15. Back in 1992 or 1993, I pledged Alpha Epsilon Phi at Hofstra University and loved every minute! The greek system was a blast back then (probably still is) although there were no sorority or fraternity houses, everyone lived in the dorms. Pledging was a TON of work, and really hard. But it was worth it because I am still super close with two of my sorority sisters.