Snakes skinned alive for purses and clothes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My god, I hate snakes too... I can't stand looking at anything even made of snake! But this is rather extreme! At least I can appreciate the fact that they're doing something for the ecosystem and keeping the rodents in check.

Not caring about whether snakes become extinct... it's almost like not caring whether a human race becomes "extinct". And yes, I dare say that, because snakes, like humans, are living creatures, and we should not be writing up a hierarchy of which living things we'd like to care about and we'd like to not care about! They are all living, it's insane to think some of them deserve your care and the others don't.
Snakes and human beings are not the same thing. Of course they are all living things, but really. There are many other animals that keep the rodent population down. Besides, my views are really not extreme. I'm just being honest about how I feel about snakes. Can't knock me for that. I have every right to my opinion. Cold or not. It is just tiresome to keep having all these articles come out about things like this when issues involving HUMAN cruelty sometimes don't get this much attention. NOt to mention the fact that to a certain extent this conversation has been included some jabs at women who carry exotic purses...women who are on this forum no less.

ladies...I don't think we should be shooting down Nathangirls and say she has a "cold attitude". That's not fair for all we know she could be the sweetest person. Just because she has that opinion is no reason to hold it against her.

It comes down to the same thing with farm animals and ostrich and countless other things. When they do make-up testing on animals..there's A LOT out there. It's good to be informed but you can't judge people for what they believe in. I mean how many are true vegans here and carry no leather bags, shoes, belts, etc. Then there is the fur coats, wraps, etc. Some people probably would say they wouldn't be caught dead were faux-fur...well the animal was caught dead so you wear the real one now.

Animals have been killed before and I highly doubt it'll stop. It would be nice if there could be some regulations on some of these animals so they don't become extinct and mess up the ecosystem flow but someone has to do it and I bet there are people doing right now as we speak. But sad to say big business wins most of the time.

It's great that we are informed consumers but let's not put other people down for it...this is a place to post opinions and thoughts.

Snakes and human beings are not the same thing. Of course they are all living things, but really. There are many other animals that keep the rodent population down. Besides, my views are really not extreme. I'm just being honest about how I feel about snakes. Can't knock me for that. I have every right to my opinion. Cold or not. It is just tiresome to keep having all these articles come out about things like this when issues involving HUMAN cruelty sometimes don't get this much attention. NOt to mention the fact that to a certain extent this conversation has been included some jabs at women who carry exotic purses...women who are on this forum no less.

I'm not saying i'm a saint, nor am I saying any woman who wears an exotic purse is a cold hearted horrible person, but wishing for the extinction of a species just horrifies me. I truly hate snakes... as long as I don't see them, i'm fine with them being on this world.

And I know lots of people see humans and animals as two different things, but when I see father ducks charging at me when I get too close to his children ducks, when I see birds defending their young who are learning how to fly in the face of my giant golden retriever charging at them, when I see a pregnant lizard standing her ground just to give birth to her eggs, I simply can't say they're any less than us.

I really wouldn't care if they became extinct. Unlike some people I don't find them warm and cuddly. As for the article, I agree with another poster about hosw it is slanted. Personally I am getting tired of these articles that always blast some aspect of the fashion industry...namely the aspect dealing with women. It is like the goal is to make women feel guilty and horrible for wearing the fashions that they do. And if you notice, it is usually something that deals with the high end area of fashion...whether it is talking about designer fakes or wearing furs. Sometimes I really think some of this information is exaggerated or outright fabricated.

I agree. Its always about women's goods too. I never see articles complaining/criticizing what men wear. I also bet its exaggerated or they went and found the worst example ever.

Frankly most animals that we consume in whole or part are treated really badly. I've made some changes in what I eat and buy but I think its arbitrary to complain about how snakes are treated but think its ok to use leather because you eat cow meat. Snakes have little tiny brains, comparitavely a cow kept in bad conditions as many of them are is MUCH more aware of its surroundings.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be aware and push for change but to criticize someone (or feel morally superior) for wearing an exotic when you wear leather just doesn't sit right with me.

I agree. Its always about women's goods too. I never see articles complaining/criticizing what men wear. I also bet its exaggerated or they went and found the worst example ever.

Frankly most animals that we consume in whole or part are treated really badly. I've made some changes in what I eat and buy but I think its arbitrary to complain about how snakes are treated but think its ok to use leather because you eat cow meat. Snakes have little tiny brains, comparitavely a cow kept in bad conditions as many of them are is MUCH more aware of its surroundings.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be aware and push for change but to criticize someone (or feel morally superior) for wearing an exotic when you wear leather just doesn't sit right with me.

Exactly. :okay:

ladies...I don't think we should be shooting down Nathangirls and say she has a "cold attitude". That's not fair for all we know she could be the sweetest person. Just because she has that opinion is no reason to hold it against her.

It comes down to the same thing with farm animals and ostrich and countless other things. When they do make-up testing on animals..there's A LOT out there. It's good to be informed but you can't judge people for what they believe in. I mean how many are true vegans here and carry no leather bags, shoes, belts, etc. Then there is the fur coats, wraps, etc. Some people probably would say they wouldn't be caught dead were faux-fur...well the animal was caught dead so you wear the real one now.

Animals have been killed before and I highly doubt it'll stop. It would be nice if there could be some regulations on some of these animals so they don't become extinct and mess up the ecosystem flow but someone has to do it and I bet there are people doing right now as we speak. But sad to say big business wins most of the time.

It's great that we are informed consumers but let's not put other people down for it...this is a place to post opinions and thoughts.
So true. I doubt very few people really are true vegans.

Well said. :tup:
Ignorance is not bliss - be informed, consider the consequences, and THEN do whatever you deem to be right.

Some people think it's ok to skin a cat alive and film it for an art project. Some people think it is wrong (this happened a few years ago, actually). I would imagine those same people would think it ok to skin a snake alive... I mean, what's the difference really?? Both are not human, both have skins that are used in the fashion industry, both are eaten in some countries...

Outside of someone being completely selfish and considering the fact one is more cuddly and aesthetically pleasing than the other - what the heck is the difference??

Torturing animals is wrong. Period. (If you think it's ok, you need professional help as you are on your way to seriel killer status). We should do everything we can to change the practice (yes it happens every day everywhere). Yes the author of the article possibly picked the most horrific method of killing he could - shock value sells - yes?? Point is it's happening... so make informed decisions. Period.

I have always been against fur/exotic skins as well as trophy hunting and always will be.

All animals are magnificent creatures in their own rights and should be protected and nothing should ever be tortured for human pleasure/consumption.

Don't get me started on the poor bears in China kept in tiny little cages having their bile drained from them or the dancing bears in Turkey.

It's all so incredibly inhumane.

Actually, I disagree, human cruelty and rights get much attention(maybe more), which is great. But this thread is about snakes/animals and how they are brutally mistreated for vanity.

I really wouldn't care if they became extinct. Unlike some people I don't find them warm and cuddly. As for the article, I agree with another poster about hosw it is slanted. Personally I am getting tired of these articles that always blast some aspect of the fashion industry...namely the aspect dealing with women. It is like the goal is to make women feel guilty and horrible for wearing the fashions that they do. And if you notice, it is usually something that deals with the high end area of fashion...whether it is talking about designer fakes or wearing furs. Sometimes I really think some of this information is exaggerated or outright fabricated.
This information is by no means fabricated, it's real, and there is PROOF. See, that's the thing, they way these animals are treated is so unbelieveable at how inhumane and evil it is, that many people just refuse to believe it, I have seen this a lot getting involved in fighting for animals rights. And it doesn't matter if they are warm and cuddly, to wish for a WHOLE species to be completely EXTINCT is absurd! And these articles are not to make women feel horrible and guilty, they are to inform, many people don't even know what goes into the fur and exotics industry. I would blast an issue, too, with an article(or other means of communication) if that issue involves hatred and inhumane methods, I would think anyone would speak up for what they believe. I just really can't make logic of your views.

I still don't get why, if they're going to skin these animals, they have to leave them to suffer instead of putting them out of their misery?! if they at least killed them humanely, I wouldn't feel so horrible about the process.

it's also a little depressing to me that plant and man-made textiles(and even leathers from animals whose meat is being consumed) aren't enough for some people. why is a zebra or giraffe print acceptable, but when it comes to snakes, crocs, etc, you have to spring for the real thing?

this is just plain wrong and brought me to tears. i do not like snakes but no living creature deserves to be treated that way.
and this is coming from a person who wears exotics and furs but i am an intelligent person (at least i hope) and i do inform myself (includes visits) where and how the animals that let their lives for my luxuries (and my food as well ) are treated and how they are killed.if a company can not answer my questions to my satisfaction i am not going to buy and will tell my friends that is responsible minded consumtion and i wish that more women would do that if they want to wear animal skins or eat meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.