Snakes skinned alive for purses and clothes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh. I'm not a fan of snakes (bad experience) and would never wear skins or furs. The way that animals are killed for their pelts is disgusting (proud owner of two pet chinchillas) so I do have my own motto/ideas on pelting. I don't support the fur industry at all - buy faux!

I'm not a fan of exotic skins or furs. I'm okay with leather, which may seem hypocritical to some people.

It's just that cows/chickens/pigs are killed for food, and the animals with exotic skins and fur...they're killed for fashion. NOTHING should be killed purely for FASHION. Yikes. I'd like to think that the leather used on bags is from cows that are also being used for food.

Not to mention, I think most fur items/exotic skins look kind of tacky anyway. It's so beautiful on the animal, why would we ruin that?

hopefully, this isn't how ALL snakeskins are appropriated(kind of like how PETA singles out a few farms that boil cows and pigs alive...), but it is horrible that there is this sort of inhumane treatment. I don't see any need for snakeskin, unless the rest of the body is being used for food, etc. as well.

and why do they keep the poor snakes alive after being skinned? the article says they just lie in a pile and die slowly and painfully? why???

Ugh! DH just spent $1000 on a pair of python CL pumps for me, and I have a python trim Prada bag that was a lot of money too. Wish I would have known beforehand, it's just so cruel. Ebay, here I come! :crybaby:

Thank you for posting this, it was really informative. I've refused to wear/carry anything make out of an exotic skin or fur (but I have leather bags...), and this helped me to remember why I do it.

Snakes are also beautiful creatures, I would love to own an albino python.

:crybaby:Absolutely horrendous. I will never wear or own any fur or skins, completely awful what those poor animals go through. There is absolutely no reason why industries like this deserve to continue. I hope and pray that one day, this kind of stuff will be unheard of. Poor little animals.

I think that if we stop buying things because of how the animals are killed in order to make it, we would be left with very little. I have had some people even make negative comments to me about my ostrich bags. At first I felt bad, but then the lovely ladies in the Hermes forum helped me to get over that.

As for the pythons, in all honesty I don't really care if they are killed. That means one less snake in the world.

I think that if we stop buying things because of how the animals are killed in order to make it, we would be left with very little. I have had some people even make negative comments to me about my ostrich bags. At first I felt bad, but then the lovely ladies in the Hermes forum helped me to get over that.

As for the pythons, in all honesty I don't really care if they are killed. That means one less snake in the world.
Left with very little? I just don't see how we need fur and exotics when there are so many more options out there, I just never understood that reasoning or mindset. I feel sad that you feel that way about animals when you say one less snake in the world,:sad:. No living being deserves to be totured.

Left with very little? I just don't see how we need fur and exotics when there are so many more options out there, I just never understood that reasoning or mindset. I feel sad that you feel that way about animals when you say one less snake in the world,:sad:. No living being deserves to be totured.
I mean do you realize just how much we use from animals every day? We don't just use fur and exotics for bags. We EAT. We wear SHOES. I could go on. Think about it.
And I don't feel one bit of shame about my snake comment either. Although I will say that I won't be buying any bags with snake skin simply because I don't like how it looks or feels.

I mean do you realize just how much we use from animals every day? We don't just use fur and exotics for bags. We EAT. We wear SHOES. I could go on. Think about it.
And I don't feel one bit of shame about my snake comment either. Although I will say that I won't be buying any bags with snake skin simply because I don't like how it looks or feels.
Yes, well, chances are pretty good that the meat industry will not be eliminated in a long time if ever, and leather is a by-product of the meat industry, fur and exotics are not by-product and completely unnecessary imo. I mean, it's fashion, who would want to contribute to torturing of animals for one's vanity? There are many great alternatives to fur and exotics. And, of coruse we use stuff from animals everyday, society is not set up for someone to be completely pure, yet.

This is sad to read, but unfortunately it's really common. Take shearling for example (yes, all that warm comfy boot) it's also ripped from the sheep and then the skinless sheep are left to die. Also, Australian sheep are genetically engineered to have too much wool (way too many folds in their skin) and this is very uncomfortable for sheep. We can go on and on.

I guess fashion just goes on its own rules, and all we can do is try to use designers that stay away from these bad farms. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean the more expensive the brand, the more humane. That would be too easy.
(Same with the pet food recall. The expensive brands like eukanuba bought their meat from the same place as kitten chow)

Thanks for giving us something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.