show me your citizen eco drive watch

People sometimes think that because the battery is light powered, if they put it directly under strong light when the battery loses power (another sign of this is your second hand will start acting up) it will work again, that simply isn’t true. Even eco-drive batteries don’t last forever.
WHEN the battery goes you have to take it to an authorized dealer, as I said before. They should last an average of ten to fifteen years if I remember correctly. You cannot charge a new battery yourself, the authorized dealer will do it for you as part of the service. Once charged, it’s good to go for another ten or more years.
I'm confused. If it works when you get it, can you just use it without charging?

this is what CS said to me:
Felipe Segovia (Citizen Consumer Support)
May 1, 2024, 7:20 AM PDT
Dear Marian‍,

Thank you for your message.

Our Eco Drive series of timepieces require regular exposure to light for proper operation, so perhaps all that's needed is a recharge. Many of our watches feature some visual cues indicating a low light state, they include the second-hand moving in 1 then 2-second intervals, or the hour hand moving in full 1-minute intervals rather than every 20 seconds.

Recharge information can be found in the setting instruction booklet. Once your watch is fully charged, you must perform an all reset, as this "reboots" the watch so to speak.

Setting instructions may be found at our website at www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/setting-instructions

To determine the applicable setting instruction booklet, you will need the movement caliber number. The movement caliber can be found on the back of your watch. There is a series of alpha/numeric characters that are hyphenated, such as E870-S123465. The first four characters, in this example E870, identifies your movement caliber number.

I'm confused. If it works when you get it, can you just use it without charging?

this is what CS said to me:
Felipe Segovia (Citizen Consumer Support)
May 1, 2024, 7:20 AM PDT
Dear Marian‍,

Thank you for your message.

Our Eco Drive series of timepieces require regular exposure to light for proper operation, so perhaps all that's needed is a recharge. Many of our watches feature some visual cues indicating a low light state, they include the second-hand moving in 1 then 2-second intervals, or the hour hand moving in full 1-minute intervals rather than every 20 seconds.

Recharge information can be found in the setting instruction booklet. Once your watch is fully charged, you must perform an all reset, as this "reboots" the watch so to speak.

Setting instructions may be found at our website at www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/setting-instructions

To determine the applicable setting instruction booklet, you will need the movement caliber number. The movement caliber can be found on the back of your watch. There is a series of alpha/numeric characters that are hyphenated, such as E870-S123465. The first four characters, in this example E870, identifies your movement caliber number.
It is confusing, and I’m not the best at explaining things. That’s probably why I preferred to repair jewellery and certain brands of watches, and leave the selling to others - when it was possible!
When I bought my watch, it was ready to go, I paid, put it on and walked out of the shop wearing a working watch.
The battery lasted roughly from 2009 to 2019. I didn’t need to do anything to it.
I had to replace the battery back in 2019. The dealer changed and charged the new battery, changed gaskets, etc.
Once you get the battery replaced, you don’t have to do anything. Pay, get your watch back, and go.

• Thanks
Reactions: sdkitty
It is confusing, and I’m not the best at explaining things. That’s probably why I preferred to repair jewellery and watches, and leave the selling to others - when it was possible!
When I bought my watch, it was ready to go, I paid, put it on and walked out of the shop wearing a working watch.
The battery lasted roughly from 2009 to 2019. I didn’t need to do anything to it.
I had to replace the battery back in 2019. The dealer changed and charged the new battery, changed gaskets, etc.
Once you get the battery replaced, you don’t have to do anything. Pay, get your watch back, and go.
I don't know why the would need the model number to tell you how to charge the watch. the one I bought recently and returned ran right out of the box....

I dunno why they would say that, tbh. The watch can run on very little light. It doesn’t need direct, or even strong light.
For example, you can leave an eco-drive in a dark drawer for six months, and the battery should be okay (working) when you take it out. But once you’ve taken the watch out of the drawer, THEN it is a good idea to put it under good lighting for a number of hours.

I dunno why they would say that, tbh. The watch can run on very little light. It doesn’t need direct, or even strong light.
For example, you can leave an eco-drive in a dark drawer for six months, and the battery should be okay (working) when you take it out. But once you’ve taken the watch out of the drawer, THEN it is a good idea to put it under good lighting for a number of hours.
My DH doesn't wear his every day and sometimes only wears it for a couple of hours...when not wearing, it sits on the counter and it's been running for a couple of years....I guess maybe when I get my new watch I'll go look at their instructions and see what is says....CS (overseas) didn't seem that sharp