show me your citizen eco drive watch

My old faithful. I bought it years and years ago, maybe fifteen years? I still wear it everyday, and it’s only needed a battery change once.
It has MOP dial, sapphire crystal, stainless steel strap with 18K gold accents, diamonds on bezel and watch face, date and it’s 100m wr.
very pretty....I thought it took almost forever for the eco drive watches to need a battery replacement. was it expensive?

very pretty....I thought it took almost forever for the eco drive watches to need a battery replacement. was it expensive?
No, it was really reasonably priced. I can’t remember exactly, but I think I paid around $400 USD.

It does take forever to need a battery change. My first battery lasted at least ten years. If you’re interested, you can still buy exactly the same model for about the same price I paid. Battery and gasket replacement cost roughly $60 USD at the authorized dealer, so really good value for money.

I’m definitely going to get myself another Citizen eco-drive next year. It might even be the same model as the one I have. It’s perfect for casual, and dressing up.

My only must have is it HAS to be at least 100m (300ft) water resistant because I never take it off. I also hate digital watches. Give me analog any day!

I swim, shower, bath, do dishes with it on. For some reason watch companies seem to assume women don’t wear their watches for the water sports, etc. so the majority of watches for women are 30m (90ft) water resistance, which is bloody useless. You can get them obviously, my current watch is an example of that, but watch companies tend to have a really small selection for women with decent water resistance.

Last edited:
No, it was really reasonably priced. I can’t remember exactly, but I think I paid around $400 USD. It does take forever to need a battery change. My first battery lasted at least ten years. If you’re interested, you can still buy exactly the same model for about the same price I paid. I’m going to buy myself another one (same model most likely) next year.
I meant the cost of the battery - more than a normal quartz battery? $400 seems more like the cost of the watch?
edit to say I see them on Amazon for around $20 - if you can change it yourself

No, the watch was $400 USD. To change the battery and gaskets with an authorized dealer costs about $60 USD. I edited the post you quoted. The edited version explains way more, so it might be a good idea to read the edited post!

No, it was really reasonably priced. I can’t remember exactly, but I think I paid around $400 USD.

It does take forever to need a battery change. My first battery lasted at least ten years. If you’re interested, you can still buy exactly the same model for about the same price I paid. Battery and gasket replacement cost roughly $60 USD at the authorized dealer, so really good value for money.

I’m definitely going to get myself another Citizen eco-drive next year. It might even be the same model as the one I have. It’s perfect for casual, and dressing up.

My only must have is it HAS to be at least 100m (300ft) water resistant because I never take it off. I also hate digital watches. Give me analog any day!

I swim, shower, bath, do dishes with it on. For some reason watch companies seem to assume women don’t wear their watches for the water sports, etc. so the majority of watches for women are 30m (90ft) water resistance, which is bloody useless. You can get them obviously, my current watch is an example of that, but watch companies tend to have a really small selection for women with decent water resistance.
the one I'm getting is water resistant to 50 meters....I don't swim and wear gloves washing dishes so main exposure would be hand washing so that should be fine for me
Thanks for all that info

Reactions: Hurrem1001
Congrats on your new watch! Yes, removing links to resize the bracelet should be do-able DIY. You just need a thin needle-like tool - like an eyeglasses screwdriver. I’ve even used a paperclip or SIM card remover, and you might need a lightweight hammer or something to lightly tamp on the needle. I’m sure there are good videos on YouTube showing how to do it. I had to remove 5 links.
You can actually get the tool needed for this gasket/battery change, and it’s much easier to use. Trust me, when I worked in the jewellery industry I changed batteries on an almost daily basis.

This one is for the push-through pins:

This one is for every kind, so push through, screw in, it contains everything you need for watch repair, resizing, etc. Yes, it’s nearly $70, but it’s so worth it … if you want you can charge other people to change their batteries, and make your money back in a heartbeat:

Last edited:
You can actually get the tool needed for this gasket/battery change, and it’s much easier to use. Trust me, when I worked in the jewellery industry I changed batteries on an almost daily basis.

This one is for the push-through pins:

This one is for every kind, so push through, screw in, it contains everything you need for watch repair resizing, etc. Yes, it’s nearly $70, but it’s so worth it … if you want you can charge other people to change their batteries, and make your money back in a heartbeat:
thank you
my dh has replaced batteries - but not gaskets - in my movado watch...It is obviously much less expensive to just buy the batteries for a quartz watch compared to paying a jeweler to do it....you get several batteries for less than the cost of one

the one I'm getting is water resistant to 50 meters....I don't swim and wear gloves washing dishes so main exposure would be hand washing so that should be fine for me
Thanks for all that info
You are welcome! When it come to Citizen eco-drive, I would suggest always going to an authorized dealer for battery change for a few reasons.

1) you most likely don’t have the correct tools, and even if you did you would have to know how to use them.
2) Clean watch and change gaskets (included in price for battery change).
3) Will not nullify the warranty if your watch happens to still have a warranty.
4) Will ‘charge’ the new battery - this needs to be done with a battery change (again, included in price for battery change).

Last edited:
thank you
my dh has replaced batteries - but not gaskets - in my movado watch...It is obviously much less expensive to just buy the batteries for a quartz watch compared to paying a jeweler to do it....you get several batteries for less than the cost of one
Trouble is when you replace the battery you really need to change the gaskets as well. The gaskets become useless when you open the case to change the battery. So if your watch has water resistance, and you only change the battery, you may well find your watch will no longer be water resistant.

Trouble is when you replace the battery you really need to change the gaskets as well. The gaskets become useless when you open the case to change the battery. So if your watch has water resistance, and you only change the battery, you may well find your watch will no longer be water resistant.
I get it...with that movado, it's an old watch I don't wear often so not really worried about it

@Hurrem1001 how do you know when it's time to send it for a battery change? I haven't noticed any difference with the two I own yet, I think my only option where I live is to send it to the local service centre.

@Hurrem1001 how do you know when it's time to send it for a battery change? I haven't noticed any difference with the two I own yet, I think my only option where I live is to send it to the local service centre.
It literally stops working, and putting it under direct light doesn’t restart the battery. The battery’s will last for years and years, so I wouldn’t worry too much.

• Thanks
Reactions: mktlim
It literally stops working, and putting it under direct light doesn’t restart the battery. The battery’s will last for years and years, so I wouldn’t worry too much.
I had one of these watches years ago and never did anything to charge it. My DH has one now which was a gift and had been worn by the guy who gave it to him. He wears it and never charges it. I keeps running. I called citizen and asked if I need to charge my new watch. CS said it depends on the model as to how to charge it. said after I get it and tell them what model they will provide the info.

• Insightful
I had one of these watches years ago and never did anything to charge it. My DH has one now which was a gift and had been worn by the guy who gave it to him. He wears it and never charges it. I keeps running. I called citizen and asked if I need to charge my new watch. CS said it depends on the model as to how to charge it. said after I get it and tell them what model they will provide the info.
People sometimes think that because the battery is light powered, if they put it directly under strong light when the battery loses power (another sign of this is your second hand will start acting up) it will work again, that simply isn’t true. Even eco-drive batteries don’t necessarily last forever.
IF the battery goes you have to take it to an authorized dealer, as I said before. On older models, the battery should last an average of ten to fifteen years if I remember correctly. You cannot charge a new battery yourself, the authorized dealer will do it for you as part of the service.
The batteries on some of the newer eco-drive models are lasting twenty plus years, so way better than older models.

• Insightful