Secondhand bargains, let's see your cheap treasures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the worlds most expensive salvos yesterday. Holy crap. I couldn't believe my eyes. My fiancé and I spent 70 bucks on only a few things. They had Nine West shoes for 25.99!! I did spot a pair of ysl classic tribute 75s behind the register and jumped up in delight unfortunately they were a size 9 boo! And for 40 bucks that upset me!

This is why I need to rethink my avoidance of garage sales. That is really lovely!
Here is MY theory on Garage Sales: Where I live, the Thrift Stores (some of which have prices that would make your eyes pop out of your head) know, or think they know, some of the higher end items and price accordingly. People who have Garage Sales either aren't as saavy, or don't care. I have found some really high end stuff at Garage Sales for dirt cheap.( A really nice brown Bottega Veneta wallet for $5, Tiffany Ceramic blue box for 50¢, Tiffany Ceramic Holiday box $1, an Estee Lauder Crystal Butterfly compact. I still have the wallet, but sold the rest of those items for $50-$150 on eBay). Plus I only do Garage Sales in certain parts of town, close to my house. We just go for an hour or 2.

Here is MY theory on Garage Sales: Where I live, the Thrift Stores (some of which have prices that would make your eyes pop out of your head) know, or think they know, some of the higher end items and price accordingly. People who have Garage Sales either aren't as saavy, or don't care. I have found some really high end stuff at Garage Sales for dirt cheap.( A really nice brown Bottega Veneta wallet for $5, Tiffany Ceramic blue box for 50¢, Tiffany Ceramic Holiday box $1, an Estee Lauder Crystal Butterfly compact. I still have the wallet, but sold the rest of those items for $50-$150 on eBay). Plus I only do Garage Sales in certain parts of town, close to my house. We just go for an hour or 2.

These are great such great insights I want to hit some yard sales right now! I will have to wait until spring. :sad: and rats

Raven - I am loving that Escada bag, what a find! And the turquoise and coral bracelet s simply gorgeous.

Here is my $9 Miu Miu bag and $8 brand new Makowski bag. Escada necklace $4.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPurseForum1387737709.506513.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1387737709.506513.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 416
  • ImageUploadedByPurseForum1387737762.193252.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1387737762.193252.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 411
  • ImageUploadedByPurseForum1387737800.023319.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1387737800.023319.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 412
  • ImageUploadedByPurseForum1387737817.517797.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1387737817.517797.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 414
  • ImageUploadedByPurseForum1387737853.444345.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1387737853.444345.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 412
  • ImageUploadedByPurseForum1387737921.851937.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1387737921.851937.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 415
Great finds! Nothing too exciting around here lately...I'm in a thrifting slump. I still managed to spend $50 last time I went and nothing great to show for it.

Raven - I am loving that Escada bag, what a find! And the turquoise and coral bracelet s simply gorgeous.

I went to GW yesterday and found a red Escada for $7; a Saint John for $5 and this gorgeous bracelet for $3.
http://

I went to GW yesterday and found a red Escada for $7; a Saint John for $5 and this gorgeous bracelet for $3.

Love that red Escada and pretty bracelet!

Love it all Magda, that Miu Miu is lovely!

Those are lovely lovely bags! And the necklace! Exciting! I dig it!

Great finds! Nothing too exciting around here lately...I'm in a thrifting slump. I still managed to spend $50 last time I went and nothing great to show for it.

I hate that feeling! Every sunday morning thrift session I try not to leave without one item that is amazing. That I would buy for the total bill if I happened to find it in a regular thrift store. But I know it is not always possible. Only cause I thrift often do I literally feel like I can find anything and everything I want eventually ...

Hate a thrift drought! You have my sympathies!

Here it's not at all like that ... usually and never ever like that at a professionally run estate sale. I try to go the last day of estate sales and the last day of garage sales. But of course it is luck of the draw. Some of the garage sales are laughable. Like crazy overpriced. I try to be very unemotional about it and just get back in my car.

But yeah there's house around me where I remember them by the prices at their sales!

Ha! Overpriced Ikea and Pottery Barn House down the street ...

I went to the worlds most expensive salvos yesterday. Holy crap. I couldn't believe my eyes. My fiancé and I spent 70 bucks on only a few things. They had Nine West shoes for 25.99!! I did spot a pair of ysl classic tribute 75s behind the register and jumped up in delight unfortunately they were a size 9 boo! And for 40 bucks that upset me!

No way!? That is insane. I don't blame you for being upset. Last time I went to Salvos the manager asked me why I was never there anymore. Um. Cause you put out stuff that belongs in a landfill and you have it overpriced. I get upset if I see shoes that need to be in the trash and they are 19.99. Ugg. I find a new place to thrift ...

Yelp.com is the ticket! I assign you to find a new spot Darling KrissieNO.5 you are far to pretty to suffer these foos!

I still think it is neat that your fiancé shops with you ...

I actually really love this dress and would totally wear something like this if I found it and it fit!

I haven't been thrifting since I've been too busy getting ready to leave the city for a week. I did a bit of damage at my friends store though last night at his Christmas party...Everything I bought was around 70% off and I still spent $60 for two items!! I think thrifting has ruined me since I don't think I have spent this much money on myself in quite a few years. Plus nothing was even designer!! I bought a babydoll style blouse with a beaded collar regular $59 on sale for $20 and some black winter boots regular $99 on sale for $40. I needed the boots since my other winter pair are a pair of Guess brown ones that I bought on sale last year. They are quite thick and good for really cold snowy weather, so I needed a pair with some light padding to wear when the weather is a bit more mild like right now.

Oh you had been needing new boots! Thank goodness I am glad cause you know I worry about you getting too cold up there in CanadaLand where the Snow keeps trying to kill you all. Next stop vintage 70's Fox Fur for you ... I am seeing it in my mind Sweet LadyAsh!

Those are lovely lovely bags! And the necklace! Exciting! I dig it!

I hate that feeling! Every sunday morning thrift session I try not to leave without one item that is amazing. That I would buy for the total bill if I happened to find it in a regular thrift store. But I know it is not always possible. Only cause I thrift often do I literally feel like I can find anything and everything I want eventually ...

Hate a thrift drought! You have my sympathies!

Here it's not at all like that ... usually and never ever like that at a professionally run estate sale. I try to go the last day of estate sales and the last day of garage sales. But of course it is luck of the draw. Some of the garage sales are laughable. Like crazy overpriced. I try to be very unemotional about it and just get back in my car.

But yeah there's house around me where I remember them by the prices at their sales!

Ha! Overpriced Ikea and Pottery Barn House down the street ...

No way!? That is insane. I don't blame you for being upset. Last time I went to Salvos the manager asked me why I was never there anymore. Um. Cause you put out stuff that belongs in a landfill and you have it overpriced. I get upset if I see shoes that need to be in the trash and they are 19.99. Ugg. I find a new place to thrift ...

Yelp.com is the ticket! I assign you to find a new spot Darling KrissieNO.5 you are far to pretty to suffer these foos!

I still think it is neat that your fiancé shops with you ...

Oh you had been needing new boots! Thank goodness I am glad cause you know I worry about you getting too cold up there in CanadaLand where the Snow keeps trying to kill you all. Next stop vintage 70's Fox Fur for you ... I am seeing it in my mind Sweet LadyAsh!

Exactly. I mean the worst of the worst. Worse than what you would find in a landfill haha you are too sweet. Yeah he loves to thrift when he is in the mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.