Food REALLY good stuffing recipes?

claireZk

Jun 18, 2007
I'm looking for something I can cook in the bird, but out of the bird recipes are okay too! Please share your REALLY good stuffing recipes with me and I will love you forever! :nuts:

i remember this thread from way back when...

http://forum.purseblog.com/the-kitchen/stuffing-55796.html

as you can see i tried one of them and it was super easy and yummy!

but if you want something more made from scratch-ish then i know if you watch the food network there are tons of recipes for stuffing on lately that look delicious. i've heard that oyster stuffing is amazing (i don't really love cooked oysters so it's not for me) and the one paula dean made looked really good. here's a link to the food network's top stuffing recipes

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/et_hd_thanksgiving/text/0,1972,FOOD_9845_38053,00.html

This is my sisters from my christmas cook-book she sent me for this christmas, it is soo yummy.

This recipe is for 8-10 people as I have a large family, but if you want to serve less people, use less bacon & sausagemeat.

Ingredients - Serves (8-10)
200g white bread (about 5 thick slices, crusts included)
1 large onion, quartered
2 garlic cloveshttp://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/knowhow/glossary/garlic/
large handful of parsleyhttp://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/knowhow/glossary/parsley/
450g sausagemeat (good quality works best)
1 tsp curry powder (optional)
1 large egg
grated zest of 1 lemon and juice of 1⁄2 lemon
20 rashers rindless streaky bacon

Whizz the bread in a food processor to make crumbs. Tip into a large bowl. Put the onion, garlic and parsley in the processor and whizz until finely chopped. Add the onion mix to the breadcrumbs with all the other ingredients except the bacon. Season generously and squish everything together with your hands until combined.
Set aside about one third of the stuffing for the turkey and divide the rest into 20 pieces. Mould each piece into a little finger-sized sausage, then wrap each one in a rasher of bacon. Put the sausages into a shallow ovenproof dish, ready for roasting.

The bacon is also optional, it can be wraped around the stuffing, it also adds extra flavour.

Thank you! :heart:

Trolley- that stuffing sounds delicious! My family loves bacon and curry, so it sounds perfect! Prada's recipe from the other thread sounds great, too :yes:

I'm so excited about Thanksgiving! I loooooooooooove food :graucho:

I do an apple sausage stuffing...that gets raves and left over requests from my BIL on the years they don't come to our house. I don't have a recipe because I adjust it to the size of the bird, number of people coming, etc.

Basically:
about 5-6 stalks of celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 apples, chopped (use a baking apple that won't get mushy...granny smith is good)
bulk sausage, sage kind if available, but I have used regular, maple, even hot
1 cup good white wine
1 stick of butter, melted
1 box/bag your favorite stuffing mix, I use whatever is on sale
chicken stock
butter and oil for cooking
italian seasonings
salt and pepper

Brown sausage, drain
In Butter and olive oil sweat celery and onion until just soft, season with salt and pepper as cooking. cover the veggies with a couple of teaspoons of the seasonings, add in the apples cook for about 2 minutes, add in the sausage, cook another 2 minutes, deglaze the pan with the white wine.
stir into stuffing with melted butter, add chicken stock 1/2 cup at a time until it's well moistened.

This is enough for a 12-15 pound bird, you can adjust it as needed. You can cook it in the turkey, but for a better turkey, I don't recommend it. You can cook the sausage and veggies the night before (I love to do this, not only it makes Thanksgiving not so rushed, but lets the flavors combine), just combine the mixture with the butter, stuffing and stock the next morning.

This is my favorite, it makes about 8-10 servings, so if it's only a few people, you can use half the recipe. (I make it without the giblets btw) The guys tend to like this one because it's very hearty and flavorful, the sausage and the almonds give it a unique savory flavor that pairs perfectly with turkey.

1/2 onion (chopped fine)
1/2 green pepper or red (diced)
1-1/2 cups of celery (chopped fine)
parsley, garlic (chopped fine)
chicken stock (about 4 cups)
chopped almonds
olive oil/butter
turkey gizzards and liver (from turkey)
1lb. chopped meat (best if use 1/3 lb each of veal, pork and beef)
1lb of italian sausage (out of casings)
1cup flavored bread crumbs
1pkge of flavored bread stuffing
1cup of grated parmiggiano cheese
1 egg

In olive oil and butter, saute the onion, pepper celery, parsley and garlic until golden (do not burn) add almonds. Cut up gizzard and liver and add to pot. Add sausage meat and chopped meat. Let it cook well. (Do not add salt) Add breadcrumb and egg. Start adding broth when needed (a little bit at a time) BY THIS TIME, YOU MUST KEEP TURNING AND ADD BROTH WHEN NEEDED. Add stuffing and parmiggiano cheese and more broth as needed. Keep turning until everything is cooked. Wash turkey well (take everything out) and squeeze lemon juice. Leave overnight. Do not stuff turkey the night before. Stuff turkey in the morning and bake according to directions.

Watch out for the salt!

There are lots of great recipes on this thread! Yum!

One thing I have noticed when making stuffing is that salt is included in
*stuffing mix
*chicken broth
*cheese
*sausage
*bread
*some spice mixes

When I combine 2 or more of the above I get a result so salty I throw it away.

So I only use:
*dry bread cubes rather than boxes of stuffing mix
*chicken stock that is low sodium (canned is better, dry is worst)
*my own spices rather than using a spice mix

The last few years I have been making stuffing in a slow cooker. Works great. Slow heat lets the flavors blend. It is easy to add too much liquid so make a dry stuffing and toss every half hour. Add some dry bread cubes after cooking for crunch.

Happy Thxgiving!