Official bottega veneta chat thread - thread #4

I am going to start this little story with some advice

Listen to your SA when they are giving you advice

When I worked at BV, seems like the distant past now, a woman I know came into the store. She wanted a BV bag very badly. After showing her different options in color and style she opted to buy an Ebano Cuervo hobo. They had just come out at that time. I told her she would not be happy with it because after talking with her I knew she wanted a woven bag. I tried to steer her to a Veneta or a seamless tote or what is referred to as the Bella bag. She did not want to go for the price point.
I have seen her many times since her purchase, and she never really spoke to me except hello goodbye etc
Finally last week she came into the salon where I work and we got to talking. She said " I hate that bag you sold me" I said " I told you not to buy it. I knew you wouldn't like it because it wasn't woven"
I asked if she still had it and she said yes. I told her when she goes to Florida this year to take it with her and give it another try. I told her that style had become very popular and people will recognize it now.
She called Wednesday and told me she carried the bag and 3 people told her how lovely the bag was
The moral of this story is
Listen to your SA
If they are any good they will listen to you
Learn about your life style and always try to steer you in the right direction

My SA has steered me away from a few potential purchases and it has always turned out that she was right. I have considered bags because they were on sale, which would have been fine except that I was really only considering them because of the price reduction, not because I had previously liked it and now had a chance to have a bag I wanted at a savings. She does it diplomatically, but I listen because I know she is trying to be helpful....and sometimes cooler heads are needed. Otherwise, right now, I'd have a third parachute bag in a color that I already have in a pillow.....
That said, I would love to get a bag that I had wanted when it was full price at a discounted sale price. I'm talking about you......new lido bag that I've yet to even see and is unlikely to ever go on sale! ( I need a 'fingers crossed' emoji here.)

Reactions: septembersiren
My SA has steered me away from a few potential purchases and it has always turned out that she was right. I have considered bags because they were on sale, which would have been fine except that I was really only considering them because of the price reduction, not because I had previously liked it and now had a chance to have a bag I wanted at a savings. She does it diplomatically, but I listen because I know she is trying to be helpful....and sometimes cooler heads are needed. Otherwise, right now, I'd have a third parachute bag in a color that I already have in a pillow.....
That said, I would love to get a bag that I had wanted when it was full price at a discounted sale price. I'm talking about you......new lido bag that I've yet to even see and is unlikely to ever go on sale! ( I need a 'fingers crossed' emoji here.)

Most SA's care more about their clients than about the commission
I was always on the carpet because at times my sales were low. I explained to my Mgr that I would NOT pressure anyone into buying a bag just to make my quota. We all felt like that at the AC BV. One of the reasons the store closed among others.
A lot of the ladies right here on TPF were AC clients. Our store handled the first two TPF special orders.
I am still in touch with everyone I worked with. We were family. I miss those girls. They were all 20 somethings or 30 somethings they were like the daughters I never had

Diane I can see you with a lido bag. Time for saving up or saying goodbye to something you don't carry much. I think it would fit in with your lifestyle. You need to wait for the right color

Most SA's care more about their clients than about the commission
I was always on the carpet because at times my sales were low. I explained to my Mgr that I would NOT pressure anyone into buying a bag just to make my quota. We all felt like that at the AC BV. One of the reasons the store closed among others.
A lot of the ladies right here on TPF were AC clients. Our store handled the first two TPF special orders.
I am still in touch with everyone I worked with. We were family. I miss those girls. They were all 20 somethings or 30 somethings they were like the daughters I never had

Diane I can see you with a lido bag. Time for saving up or saying goodbye to something you don't carry much. I think it would fit in with your lifestyle. You need to wait for the right color

I'm open to a lido if it's perfect for me: not too heavy, and a perfect treatment for my tastes. My nuvolato tote is, I believe, an older lido. It's heavy but perfect in every other way, including adjustable straps. Patience, patience, patience.

I am going to start this little story with some advice

Listen to your SA when they are giving you advice...
The moral of this story is
Listen to your SA
If they are any good they will listen to you
Learn about your life style and always try to steer you in the right direction

This is a great story. It is a good reminder as well that while a sale price or great deal can be nice, it's only worth it if it's a bag that works for that individual. And that an experienced SA recommending a non-sale or more expensive item isn't doing it for the commission or sales.

Hope everybody had a restful weekend and safe travels. I had some good walks, family time, and binge-watched The Crown on Netflix. The young Queen Elizabeth character is very stylish in a formal sort of way, as well as in her scarves and horse-riding gear. And I enjoy looking at the Launer handbags she carries! I went to the Buckingham Palace exhibit this summer that included Queen Elizabeth's fashions through the years. She always looks impeccably turned out for the occasion.

I have another thread (http://forum.purseblog.com/threads/advice-on-reselling-new-bv.952671/) that explains my story. I got a lovely new Roma tote last fall, and through a long series of event it was decided to try to sell the bag to someone to apply the funds to something more practical. Really too bad with such a lovely bag! I'm having trouble getting a decent valuation on what's literally brand new untouched BV purchased directly from their retail store. wondering what others have done to get a fair price on items they no longer use or want? thank you for your help!

...I'm having trouble getting a decent valuation on what's literally brand new untouched BV purchased directly from their retail store. wondering what others have done to get a fair price on items they no longer use or want? thank you for your help!

As I've written before, BV resale is terrible so to expect 70-90 percent of retail is unrealistic no matter how good your marketing is. Also, the Roma while beautiful competes with Chanel and Hermes as a dressier bag which makes is doubly hard. Expect around 50 percent of retail and be thrilled it it's any higher. That said, a few tips on you auction/listing:
  • Lots of photos. Don't forget the ones used for authenticity. Try to get indoor and outdoor lighting to show buyer a good representation of the color.
  • Create desire, I just don't understand sellers who write "I'm tired of this bag/don't want this bag anymore. That may be true but it doesn't read positive for buyers. simply discuss the bag, it's features, what it goes with, etc. Stay positive.
  • Start with a lower price to create interest.

Awww... what a cute picture! I love Harry's expression!
Thank you! I can't tell you what a character Harry is. He's got a skeptical side and a completely silly side. But most of all, he is such a big baby. My husband routinely rolls his eyes at Harry's big baby self. But DH is as smitten as I am and I've caught him carrying Harry around too!