Ode to Hermes Poncho

Hi darling!!!

Arabesques posted that the wool does not bother her!!! I was very concerned about the wool too as I can't even wear a wool blend sweater.

I do understand your concern about it feeling like too much fabric which is part of the reason I started the thread. Part of the reason I feel I will love it is bc I know I will use the belt to minimize the bulkiness, if that can be done. I don't want tooo toooo much bulk but I also realize it's a PONCHO so I'm fully aware that it's not going to look "tailored" and I'm ok with that :P

I will def let you know what I think once I see it IRL.

Hi IF :wave:, I love the idea of using one with a belt! I've had ponchos on my mind since I saw MaiTai wearing one on her blog, a while back. Of course she looked gorgeous in hers! Before that, I literally hadn't thought on ponchos since the 70s! :biggrin: Here's a LINK to the Burberry page.

OMGosh I need to go look at theburberry to see what the hype is all about. I know Poncho's are "in" this season but I had no idea they were this popular....

Oh boy... I'm very confused and will def have to see this IRL... Thank you for your candid experience. I'd hate to buy this and have all THAT trouble. I really hate fussy clothing and this sounds like it may be too much for me.

I personally don't find the poncho fussy. I'm not getting in and out of cars, but moving around the city and via the subway/busses, I don't have a problem. The ties are key; with those (or by flinging one side over the shoulder), they don't fall out.

I'll reiterate that for me, the wool is not a problem at all. This surprised me. The tag doesn't even bother me, and I hate tags (including on H scarves)! Certainly try it out. I think one needs to be comfortably with "big" statement pieces or big swathes of cloth to feel good in it. I've been dressing in large Indian/South Asian pieces for so long, it doesn't faze me.

Another temptation: I'm constantly complimented, and often by the most surprising strangers.

I think you will know if it's for you as soon as you try it on. I will try to take a modeling pic tomorrow for you but in the meantime here is my office blankie just hanging around :smile: The colors remind me of the beautiful fall foliage that I'm seeing lately in our neck of the woods. Even though it's 90% wool, it is surprisingly very soft and not itchy at all. And those tassels!! I love twirling them, petting them....the leather is just so lovely.

And calling Temps to this thread since she is the one who enabled me to purchase mine.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1414624788.452400.jpg

I love the look. I asked my SA a couple seasons ago and we tried the blue version. You have to go try it on. It is quite a lot of material and you can kind of get lost in it. But its beautiful. Good luck

OMGosh I need to go look at theburberry to see what the hype is all about. I know Poncho's are "in" this season but I had no idea they were this popular....

Oh boy... I'm very confused and will def have to see this IRL... Thank you for your candid experience. I'd hate to buy this and have all THAT trouble. I really hate fussy clothing and this sounds like it may be too much for me.
The wool in the H poncho is surprisingly soft, not itchy or rough at all.

I love the photos here -everyone looks incredible, as will you, if you decide to get it!
I knew mine had to go when someone snapped a photo of me in my poncho next to my BF.
He's about an inch shorter than me and equally trim, usually not a noticeable difference, but I looked HUGE standing next to him in the photo, like I was wearing football padding.
If were shorter or he were taller, it would have been fine, but as it is, I thought it was best to keep the man and pass on the poncho!

The Burberry ponchos are less material and more tailored looking, they are also reversible, but they don't have the wonderful barenia trim or tassel. A completely different look, but worth considering.
I ended up with two of the Burberry "Check Lined Wool Wrap" - in grey and camel

From the leather detail at her neck, I'm sure it's the poncho. Besides, I've tried the blankets, and they are rough as hell against the skin! :P
It's the poncho for sure. I have the blanket and it is thicker and has none of these details.

Back to topic, Arabesques you wear this magnificently and I know you are my size. Now I am tempted...but IF....I think you can rock this. Snap it up, take it home, stroll around the house and see if it is for you. I have a feeling it will be....

The wool in the H poncho is surprisingly soft, not itchy or rough at all.

I love the photos here -everyone looks incredible, as will you, if you decide to get it!
I knew mine had to go when someone snapped a photo of me in my poncho next to my BF.
He's about an inch shorter than me and equally trim, usually not a noticeable difference, but I looked HUGE standing next to him in the photo, like I was wearing football padding.
If were shorter or he were taller, it would have been fine, but as it is, I thought it was best to keep the man and pass on the poncho!

The Burberry ponchos are less material and more tailored looking, they are also reversible, but they don't have the wonderful barenia trim or tassel. A completely different look, but worth considering.
I ended up with two of the Burberry "Check Lined Wool Wrap" - in grey and camel

Hi Monceau, I was looking at the Burberry "Check Lined Wool Wrap" in navy blue! :smile: It notes the size as 140cm, square. I assume it's the size/shape of a 140 CSGM, but with a slit on one side? And do you find the wool to be soft?

Hi Monceau, I was looking at the Burberry "Check Lined Wool Wrap" in navy blue! :smile: It notes the size as 140cm, square. I assume it's the size/shape of a 140 CSGM, but with a slit on one side? And do you find the wool to be soft?
Hi dear!

I''ll have to look at the navy, I missed that one!

I just measured mine and they are 56x53.5 when opened out, so the size of a 140 GM.

The wool is very soft and is about the weight of a loro piana cashmere muffler, perhaps a bit heavier, but not much.
Definitely heavier than a GM, but lighter than the Rocabar poncho - the Burberry won't replace a winter coat but it is warmer than a GM.

It is roughly square with a U cut out in the upper center for the neck. It has a nice drape and moves well.
I like the fact that it can be worn on the plain side or the check side.

i very much love the looks of poncho and i own couple but just not yet hermes, but i can feeeeeeel the hermes poncho wind coming my way too! i also prefer the warmer tone (yellow, red, orange) to cool tone (blue, green) that hermes offers. especially in the winter and fall the warmer tone would appear nicer. good luck on choosing and please show up what you get.