Ode to Hermes Poncho

I'm shorter than you, so I don't think you'll have to worry.

Most of the time, I just toss one (or both) side over the shoulder and go, but this fall (once fall weather actually comes!), I'll be belting the front ends with a CDC belt. It's beautiful that way, very beautiful.

Oh goodness gracious!! This is exactly how I envisioned wearing it!!! I'm dead, I'm dead I'm soooooo dead. :btdh:Thank you dear!!!!

IF, I love this thread! I am debating getting a colorblocked monogrammed blanket poncho from Burberry (on the list for one)but will look into this!
I am short and have my doubts if I will drown or look boxy...but it is so very cool now and looks so chic! Hard for me to resist.
I'm 6'0 and I just couldn't pull this off successfully. Getting in and out of the car was a pain and i just did not have many opportunities to wear it. Walks in the park, a horse show, a football game, a bonfire...it works great for an outdoor event but be overwhelming otherwise.

I really like the Burberry size, I got the gray and the camel. They are reversible and they hang in a way that is somewhat flattering to the figure (as flattering as a poncho can be...)
I'm on the list for the colorblock as well, but it's nowhere to be found at the moment.

I'm 6'0 and I just couldn't pull this off successfully. Getting in and out of the car was a pain and i just did not have many opportunities to wear it. Walks in the park, a horse show, a football game, a bonfire...it works great for an outdoor event but be overwhelming otherwise.

OH MY :shucks: now I'm confused again....you're super tall and you couldn't pull it off??? Was it just too much fabric bc you are slim (so it wasnot flattering)? Just didn't like it???

Getting in and out of the car was a pain in what way? Please tell me darling....
I need to know these things as I do not have a chauffeur :P

Yes, and this is the cw my SA has said she feels I will love the most. I do not foresee myself wearing it this way but it is super cool casual looking with her clogs ....

I'm 5'7 and 135 lbs... I have no idea how this will look on me....
I'm 6'0 / 132. With my height, it just seemed to add weight.
Since I'm on the extreme height range, the Rocabar just made me look big and bulky, in the same way that shoulder pads would be a no-no for someone my height, regardless of weight.

OH MY :shucks: now I'm confused again....you're super tall and you couldn't pull it off??? Was it just too much fabric bc you are slim (so it wasnot flattering)? Just didn't like it???

Getting in and out of the car was a pain in what way? Please tell me darling....
I need to know these things as I do not have a chauffeur :P
You will rock this rocabar, IF!
Imagine driving with a blanket wrapped around you, these aren't very seatbelt friendly.
It's really not a problem to take it off before you get in the car, but adding a belt might be a little more time consuming.
Play around with it and see how it feels. They are beautifully made and fabulous for the right person!

I'm 6'0 / 132. With my height, it just seemed to add weight.
Since I'm on the extreme height range, the Rocabar just made me look big and bulky, in the same way that shoulder pads would be a no-no for someone my height, regardless of weight.

Ahhhh haaaa... yes! I see what you mean. I get it.

You will rock this rocabar, IF!
Imagine driving with a blanket wrapped around you, these aren't very seatbelt friendly.
It's really not a problem to take it off before you get in the car, but adding a belt might be a little more time consuming.
Play around with it and see how it feels. They are beautifully made and fabulous for the right person!

Thank you dear for all the insight!

I'm not bohemian and even my casual is a litlle dressy bc of my accessories Soooo I do see myslef belting this regularly with skinny jeans/boots or leggings/Uggs...

Also, I have a friend who has this Poncho (all her fault that I started this thread!!!! Grrrr!) and just like her...I am always cold at work... so she said, "this can be my "work blanket" hahahahahahah I thought that was GENIUS!!!!

Last edited:
Hi IF, I've also been looking for a poncho. After reading Monceau's post above regarding Burberry, I just popped onto their site. I really like the look of their 140cm poncho. But I'm also sensitive to wool, so would need to try it in person. I do love that the Hermes version has ties in the front, but I feel for my 5'-5" frame, it would feel like too much fabric. Best wishes in your search! Looking forward to hearing what captures your heart. :smile:

Israeli_Flava, I have not tried the Hermes poncho (my GOD, it's gorgeous though!!), but I did buy the burberry one in grey. While it was the perfect size for me (I'm 5'4", 120 lbs), I was having some of the same issues as Monceau...I just couldn't make it work with my lifestyle. I once wore it out on a walk, and I wish someone was filming me, because it was laughable! It kept sliding off. And like Monceau, I tried it in the car, and it was just way too bulky. In the end, I returned it (I kept the tag on while I was "test-driving" it). I think you have to ponder where and how you would wear it before you go to the store and fall in love!

Reactions: prepster
I honestly can't give enough praise for the Rocobar poncho. It's heavenly. Though 90% wool, it never makes my sensitive skin itch (not even 100% cashmere sweaters do that, much less H CSGMs). You can rock them with everything, from jeans to dresses. I got my first one after seeing a British woman wear the Rouge with a black dress and Kelly at a fancy outdoors event outside London.

I have only the paille (yellow) and rouge, but I want them all. Seriously.

WOW arabesques, you wear this SO well!!:heart:

Hi darling!!!

Arabesques posted that the wool does not bother her!!! I was very concerned about the wool too as I can't even wear a wool blend sweater.

I do understand your concern about it feeling like too much fabric which is part of the reason I started the thread. Part of the reason I feel I will love it is bc I know I will use the belt to minimize the bulkiness, if that can be done. I don't want tooo toooo much bulk but I also realize it's a PONCHO so I'm fully aware that it's not going to look "tailored" and I'm ok with that :P

I will def let you know what I think once I see it IRL.

I just couldn't make it work with my lifestyle.

OMGosh I need to go look at theburberry to see what the hype is all about. I know Poncho's are "in" this season but I had no idea they were this popular....

Oh boy... I'm very confused and will def have to see this IRL... Thank you for your candid experience. I'd hate to buy this and have all THAT trouble. I really hate fussy clothing and this sounds like it may be too much for me.