LV and stereotypes

My husband and i actually had a discussion about this recently, I think its funny if someone perceives I am carrying a fake bag and yet its the real thing - I'm not bothered in the least, I actually think its amusing that so many people wish they had the real deal but dont, and I can just smile inside knowing that I do, and that is what is important in my opinion.

Also was amused recently when a friend made a side comment, knowing I love expensive bags, about not imagining spending $500 on a handbag, and little did she realize that my latest conquest is about $1500 lol not $500 -- but as many others have said, for some reason the idea of spending on a hand bag is harder for others to take than other luxury items like say, jewelry or car accessories. I love tPF and tPFers .. there is so much endless discussion around this passion and everyones perspective -- also I do think many handbags have an element of art :smile:

What do you think about the LV and Asian thing. Let me say first that I am half Asian, but I grew up without learning any language but English or much about the Asian culture. I know there is a stereotype that Asians are obsessed with LV, lol. It is a fact that LV is very strong in Asia, but why do you think that is?

I know, of course, that people from all ethnicities carry LV, but I do hear people associating Asians with an LV obsession.

i don't tend to notice the stares. i never thought i was an oblivious person, but walking around places i don't tend to notice people looking at me. i used to walk through the hallways in high school and walk right by friends without noticing them because my mind was elsewhere! but yes, a lot of times people see all the LV i carry and the car i drive and automatically make assumptions about me. it's kinda annoying and i have had people say to me, "you're rich, aren't you?" a) not only is that rude, but b) it is also untrue. most of the LV i have i worked hard for and bought myself, and if not it was because i have a daddy who is very good to me. i also had a girl who resented me shoot nasty comments at me about me saving money for LV and stuff. what i choose to do with my money is my business and no one elses.

and oh, my dad swears he thinks most people think my stuff is fake just because you don't see the multicolore around here really, only mono. i have a few other LV styles also that i rarely see here. i can see where he's coming from but my ISH IS REAL! lol and if anyone ever asks me if it's real you better believe they're gonna know all my stuff is real. lol.

my friends though will sometimes say stuff. one of them just makes fun of me because of my obsession -- i constantly think about LV and how or when i'm getting my next piece. i just don't like any other brands as much as i love LV so most of everything i buy from here on out is LV. she has no room to talk though because she has more designer than anyone i know. and as for my other friend, she will say things like, "wow, it must be nice to get so much LV" -- yeah, well she shouldn't talk because her mom has bought her more coach than i have ever seen in my life. trade all that coach in and you could get yourself like 20 LVs!

aw~>>>>hugs to everyone<<<<, i too 'suffered' from stereotype, being Asian, people automatically assume all the brands i carry is fake, it's sad :'(. I was at Armani w/my gold pap mid December for some X-mas shopping, and the cashiers all make funny faces to each other b/c they think my miroir pap is the most creative/worst fake junk they've ever seen....i wasn't upset b/c i know they will embarrassed themselves once they see Miroir all over magazine. People used to think negative of me when i had my first Louis while waiting on table (18), most of my co workers think i have some part time 'night' job, but it's just matter of saving-no clubbing, no cigs, no drinks.

Is anyone affected negatively by stereotypes when they carry Louis Vuitton?
ive noticed that people juat assume that my bags are fake when i carry them because i am a teenager, and most teenagers my age so indeed have fakes.
they also assume that i am spoiled because i have these things, but spoiled isnt about what you have, it is an attitude.
ive seen people in lv get snubbed because of their their age or race, and i think its so unfair.
or when a person carries a LE bag, lots of people assume its fake, just because its hard to find...or maybe they have never seen it before.
just a little rant....

Hi, I'm pretty new to the forum but want to say when I carry my LV I don't really worry what anybody is saying or looking at. It's so functional and so many people carry them that it is pretty normal. BTW, this forum seems much more normal than the Hermes! LOL. It's pretty wacky over there.
I love the new mirror LV bags. They're so hot.

What do you think about the LV and Asian thing. Let me say first that I am half Asian, but I grew up without learning any language but English or much about the Asian culture. I know there is a stereotype that Asians are obsessed with LV, lol. It is a fact that LV is very strong in Asia, but why do you think that is?

I know, of course, that people from all ethnicities carry LV, but I do hear people associating Asians with an LV obsession.

perhaps it is linked to fakes being mass produced in china and sold in china town. i for one believe the asians in chinatown selling fakes sell the fake ones to go buy real ones - wouldn't surprise me. lol. but most asians i know that i have seen with LV (outside of canal st and china town) it is real LV. my nail girl is korean and she has a ton of LV. it is a bit of a stereotype though, you're right.

My BF...who is normally very intelligent... told me that if/when I started carrying LV that people would most likely assume it's fake because of my ethnicity (half Filipina)... and that most of the housekeeping staff at the hotel he works at have fake LVs.

I didn't reply to him...but on the inside I was :wtf: :confused1: :wtf: :cursing: .

^^^
yikes! that was a horrible thing for him to say! =/

i live in a major city, so no one thinks twice about expensive handbags. but my boyfriend's hometown is a place of 30,000 people who seem to think anything remotely nice is almost a sin or something! over the holidays, i didn't even wear any of my juicy-adorned juicy stuff for around the house and just stuck to the basic velour suits since i wanted them to irrecognizable. i haven't taken the plunge with getting a lv keepall because i know i'd use it when traveling to his parents' house, and i don't want to deal with the comments. i hate feeling that way!

ya happens to me all the time... people stare and stare and bulge out their eyes out at me. Recently at school, I walked by a girl and a guy sitting together and the guy said really loud: "SLUT"... and I was all covered up in boots, jeans, and my big furry winter jacket... Meh...bothered me for like 5 mins, but after i become indifferent about it. People are mean everywhere and I guess we just have to deal with it. Oh ya, I'm 20 years old... guess this doesn't help...