Look at all the new bags...

I don't think the classics will go out of style. LV has brought out a lot of new bags lately, but they also readvertise their older bags. Last year they went through a rediscover the Alma campaign and this year they have been doing alot of adds with the traditional mono. The Manhattan is one bag that is always on display everytime I walk into the boutique.

never ever! IMO speedy's are classic and timeless, the manhattan is still a 'hot' bestseller bag and as for the saleya I think its fairly new :biggrin:

hehe i would love to buy a manhattan the hardware on them are WOW!

i guess the reason why i'm asking is because im thinking of whether to keep the manhattan PM or not... i haven't used it since the first week i got it! i wonder whether i think it looks old or not?

on the other hand, i've been using my mini lin speedy on and off...but at least i use her :sweatdrop:

I don't think Speedies will ever get outdated. Haven't they been around 10, 20 years? If it's lasted that long, I bet it'll keep up for a long time.

I don't think the manhattan is old either, but if you don't use it ever, then I say sell it to fund a new bag!:tup:

I don't think they will really go out of style...the Saleya is a classic tote style bag, the speedy....well it's the speedy! As for Manhattan...that is the only one I could see fading in popularity/style....BUT the big hardware thing and pockets seems to be in style now!

Nah... no LV bag will ever go outdated IMO. Even if some styles do seem to be out of style in the opinion of others... so what? Just as long as YOU like it, that's all that matters.

For me, I feel some bags have become dated like the Mono Deauville, Trouville (which I liked when it was launched) mainly because the newer bags are so much bigger and have more detail (i.e. studs, folding, locks, pockets, etc). Some of the older bags have lost its oomph. But then again the speedy will still look good.

The new GM and XL bags which looks good are really redefining how we see the existing bags. I wonder how much bigger can they get.

The new GM and XL bags which looks good are really redefining how we see the existing bags. I wonder how much bigger can they get.

I don't think they will. From the historical perspective, they're a very extreme fashion - I can't think of another period in the history of fashion when women have needed to carry around more than will fit in a bag of about 12" x 10" x 4" ... say about 500 sq.in. At 32" x 16" x 11," the Mahina XXL has more than ten times that capacity.

The one thing you can be sure of with fashion is that whatever is the height of fashion today will be as dead as the dodo in ten years (and it will probably take another ten years on top of that for people to forget about it long enough for designers to "rediscover" it and bring it back into fashion again). It's really a question of whether lifestyles have changed to the extent that people now need to carry more around with them than previously, and the answer to that is yes, they do ... think of the Victorian lady wearing a little chain mesh reticule attached to her wrist, a woman of the 1950s with her 12 x 10 Kelly bag, a power suited 1980s woman with her flat little 12 x 8 clutch. Those women didn't carry a cell phone, ipod, headset, water bottle, agenda etc -- things people today can't get by without.

So I think it's a pretty safe bet big bags will be around for a while, but I don't see them getting any bigger ... there's a limit to how much people can carry comfortably. My hope is that designers will catch on to the LV practise of putting out a bag in two or three sizes - that way everyone is happy.

Speedy is definitely a classic and icon! It will be around forever.

Yep. What I was going to say - before I got distracted by the subject of big bags! - is that while extreme fashions come and go, classic shapes like the Speedy and Saleya never go totally out of fashion. They can be reinterpreted in different sizes, materials, decoration etc, but the basic shapes never disappear from the fashion scene because there is nothing extreme about them and they adapt to fashions of different eras.

I'm not so sure about the Manhattan. Both GM and PM are classic shapes, but those outside pockets might date them. I tend to think that in ten years from now, any student of fashion looking at a bag with a couple of square outside pockets (particularly on the ends of the bag) will be able to take one look at it and guess that this is a bag from about 2005-2010. I could be wrong about that, can only wait and see what happens, but personally I'm not planning on keeping my Manhattan long term.

I think the LV speedies, lockits and almas are iconic, which reminds me of the icons book again (which I don't have)...someone put it in the reference section please! lol.