Le Metier de Beaute lovers thread!

So, I'm back from the counter :graucho:...

Full disclosure: I'm lucky enough to live in NYC, and so "my" LMdB counter is in Bergdof Goodman. Today, when I went, I had the pleasure to find and meet the famous Dustin. And this is a sweetheart of a man! Super nice, super patient but not arrogant or patronizing, truly a pleasure to interact with :smile:. He gave me his full attention the whole time I was there, and never made me feel hurried, even when other clients came to see him and that he obviously knew. I have to say, I'm totally won over, lol!

Anyway, we talked quite a bit, about my preferences and comfort zone, and what would suit me best. Dustin agreed that silver toned rather than golden would indeed work well for me, and that purple/plum would fit best with my green eyes - at least to start with :P.

So he went through the whole couches de couleurs concept with me, and decided to build on the Corinthian, as this was already what I had. This would be the first layer. He then asked me to make a fist with my hand, and chose the color of my knuckles for the second layer/color. That was Fire Lily (a color I've loved since I first saw it on line, but decided I could never do anything with, lol). Then, he said, you needed to add the accent color: in my case, we decided on Fig - good call on all you ladies who recommended it, you were spot on! And finally, to finish, the depth color. The depth color is the last, that gives the whole thing, well depth (lol), but on its own, is pretty sheer. We went with Thunder, which is actually surprisingly sheer (and which I was attracted to in the first place, so I was very pleased that Dustin thought it a good fit).

He said that based on the above, and no matter what, I would always start with Corinthian followed by Fire Lily. I could then get other colors instead of Fig and Thunder, change just one, or both, and the variations are endless! I'm going to have so much fun :biggrin:!!!!

He also showed me how to play with them, and how to also integrate the use of the dualist crayon. You can integrate it in the beginning and keep the exact same color scheme as above, or use it alone with one of the colors - with those I have, best one on one combos were crayon/Fig and crayon/Thunder.

So in the end, I came home with 3 new e/s: Fire Lily, Fig and Thunder, and the Dualist crayon in black :graucho:. It's way more than I had planned on getting (and spending!) but I can't help being very happy with it all :P

Now my only question is the following: do 4 e/s justify the purchase of an Unii palette???? How many do you think I could fit in there anyway (I'm partial to the Unii)?

Your welcome! I don't have Thunder yet or Water Sapphire. From what I remember I've always held off on WS because the swatches I've seen look like it is very sheer and almost patchy. I would love to hear your thoughts on it after you check it out at the counter again.

MrsLid, I haven't forgotten you! I did sample Water Saphire for you, and you are absolutely right: it is very sheer - but not patchy. I asked Dustin about it, and he explained that it was because it was a depth color, so the one you add at the end. He demonstrated by adding it to the crayon only basis: stunning! He also added it to the crayon/Thunder basis, as well as to the full couches de couleurs he had built for me, instead of the Thunder, and it was gorgeous too. So while it may not be a good color to have just on its own, it's actually absolutely amazing in combination with others. I think it may just be my next buy :P

HTH :smile:

Neo007 said:

Full disclosure: I'm lucky enough to live in NYC, and so "my" LMdB counter is in Bergdof Goodman. Today, when I went, I had the pleasure to find and meet the famous Dustin. And this is a sweetheart of a man! Super nice, super patient but not arrogant or patronizing, truly a pleasure to interact with :smile:. He gave me his full attention the whole time I was there, and never made me feel hurried, even when other clients came to see him and that he obviously knew. I have to say, I'm totally won over, lol!

Anyway, we talked quite a bit, about my preferences and comfort zone, and what would suit me best. Dustin agreed that silver toned rather than golden would indeed work well for me, and that purple/plum would fit best with my green eyes - at least to start with :P.

So he went through the whole couches de couleurs concept with me, and decided to build on the Corinthian, as this was already what I had. This would be the first layer. He then asked me to make a fist with my hand, and chose the color of my knuckles for the second layer/color. That was Fire Lily (a color I've loved since I first saw it on line, but decided I could never do anything with, lol). Then, he said, you needed to add the accent color: in my case, we decided on Fig - good call on all you ladies who recommended it, you were spot on! And finally, to finish, the depth color. The depth color is the last, that gives the whole thing, well depth (lol), but on its own, is pretty sheer. We went with Thunder, which is actually surprisingly sheer (and which I was attracted to in the first place, so I was very pleased that Dustin thought it a good fit).

He said that based on the above, and no matter what, I would always start with Corinthian followed by Fire Lily. I could then get other colors instead of Fig and Thunder, change just one, or both, and the variations are endless! I'm going to have so much fun :biggrin:!!!!

He also showed me how to play with them, and how to also integrate the use of the dualist crayon. You can integrate it in the beginning and keep the exact same color scheme as above, or use it alone with one of the colors - with those I have, best one on one combos were crayon/Fig and crayon/Thunder.

So in the end, I came home with 3 new e/s: Fire Lily, Fig and Thunder, and the Dualist crayon in black :graucho:. It's way more than I had planned on getting (and spending!) but I can't help being very happy with it all :P

Now my only question is the following: do 4 e/s justify the purchase of an Unii palette???? How many do you think I could fit in there anyway (I'm partial to the Unii)?

I envy you only because you live in NY so close to Dustin and LMdB's HQ. I have both Fire Lily and Thunder and those are wonderful ES. It must have been so much fun playing around with all those colors.

Now this is the first time I'm hearing about an Unii palette and they are just the cutest ever! I am buying one today :smile: Now I can't be responsible for your purchase of Unii as I am already guilty of enabling you in all things LMdB *lol*. oh what the heck, go for it! You know this is not the last you'll ever find yourself at BG's LMdB counter.

I envy you only because you live in NY so close to Dustin and LMdB's HQ. I have both Fire Lily and Thunder and those are wonderful ES. It must have been so much fun playing around with all those colors.

Now this is the first time I'm hearing about an Unii palette and they are just the cutest ever! I am buying one today :smile: Now I can't be responsible for your purchase of Unii as I am already guilty of enabling you in all things LMdB *lol*. oh what the heck, go for it! You know this is not the last you'll ever find yourself at BG's LMdB counter.

LOL, and I envy you your weather pretty much all year long :biggrin:!!!! I'll trade you ;)!!

Which color did you go for on the Unii? I'm thinking Midnight - it's already in my cart too... Oh, who am I kidding, we all know I'll get it eventually, right??? Because you are right Aunt Em - this is certainly not the last of my LMdB e/s... I'm sooo doomed, lol

Neo007 said:
LOL, and I envy you your weather pretty much all year long :biggrin:!!!! I'll trade you ;)!!

Which color did you go for on the Unii? I'm thinking Midnight - it's already in my cart too... Oh, who am I kidding, we all know I'll get it eventually, right??? Because you are right Aunt Em - this is certainly not the last of my LMdB e/s... I'm sooo doomed, lol

I am going all out girly with the honeysuckle. They are so cute. Well, you know I am here to enable, sympathize an empathize. Welcome to the club :smile:

I am so jealous you got to meet Dustin. I've only got the pleasure of email and phone conversations. He's a doll. Please say hello for me next time you're there!
Sounds like a wonderful experience. I love the selections he made for you. I LOVE Fire Lily. It was one of my first purchases!

MrsLid, I haven't forgotten you! I did sample Water Saphire for you, and you are absolutely right: it is very sheer - but not patchy. I asked Dustin about it, and he explained that it was because it was a depth color, so the one you add at the end. He demonstrated by adding it to the crayon only basis: stunning! He also added it to the crayon/Thunder basis, as well as to the full couches de couleurs he had built for me, instead of the Thunder, and it was gorgeous too. So while it may not be a good color to have just on its own, it's actually absolutely amazing in combination with others. I think it may just be my next buy :P

HTH :smile:

Thank you! Considering I am likely to use it as part of LMdB layering maybe I shouldn't rule this one out so soon. THanks!!

I am so jealous you got to meet Dustin. I've only got the pleasure of email and phone conversations. He's a doll. Please say hello for me next time you're there!
Sounds like a wonderful experience. I love the selections he made for you. I LOVE Fire Lily. It was one of my first purchases!

Lol, I have to say that I was very pleased to meet Dustin, but also that he was the one to advise me: I found it odly comforting and reassuring, as I was sure he knew what he was doing (also made it easier to accept and get over the bill somehow ;)). I will definitely say hello for you when I see him next :smile:

So, after enabling Aunt Em and being in turn enabled by her :biggrin:, I have a Unii Palette coming my way (in Midnight - not sure wether it's going to be black or really dark blue, but would be happy with either!). I saw on your blog that you said you just popped the LMdB e/s out of their packaging by using a paper clip in the little hole at the back, is that right? Did you need to heat them first though, or did you just go at it as is? Any advice you would be willing to share with regards ti depotting the LMdB e/s would be extremely welcomed, as I would hate to risk ruining any of my beautiful shadows :P

Once again, thank you so much for everything! I'm so glad I have met all you wonderful ladies, and am super grateful for all the kind advice and exchanges here :smile:

Neo007 said:
Once again, thank you so much for everything! I'm so glad I have met all you wonderful ladies, and am super grateful for all the kind advice and exchanges here :smile:

You're welcome! Don't be a stranger, say hi to us once in a while. And I got myself 2 Unii's both in Honeysuckle. They are the cutest. Have a good week to all LMdB loving ladies here!!!

You're welcome! Don't be a stranger, say hi to us once in a while. And I got myself 2 Unii's both in Honeysuckle. They are the cutest. Have a good week to all LMdB loving ladies here!!!

Just checking in to say that I got my Unii Palette yesterday, and depotted my LMdB e/s today, and I'm very happy with the results! I only have 4 shadows for now, and I still have space for 2 more in my palette - so it can fit a total of 6, with a bit of room to spare, but not enough for a 7th.

So I'm now plotting my next 2 e/s purchases, you know, to complete my palette ;)... I'm thinking maybe Bordeaux and Water Saphire, or Plum :P

Auntie Em, did you get your Palettes?? How did the depotting go? My Thunder crumbled slightly on one side - ok, that sounds dramatic, only a micro piece chipped away, lol, but the rest went like a breeze (and truth be told, Thunder already had a hair's width crack there since I got it). Anyway, I was just wondering how you liked yours :smile:

Neo007 said:
Auntie Em, did you get your Palettes?? How did the depotting go? My Thunder crumbled slightly on one side - ok, that sounds dramatic, only a micro piece chipped away, lol, but the rest went like a breeze (and truth be told, Thunder already had a hair's width crack there since I got it). Anyway, I was just wondering how you liked yours :smile:

How exciting! My depotting was a breeze except for Thunder. Mine got murdered 😖😁😖 and I dropped River Stone and it crumbled. I still have to find a way to put it back on youtube. I couldn't get Thunder out of it's caseing. Post a pic of your palette.

How exciting! My depotting was a breeze except for Thunder. Mine got murdered 😖😁😖 and I dropped River Stone and it crumbled. I still have to find a way to put it back on youtube. I couldn't get Thunder out of it's caseing. Post a pic of your palette.

Oh no!!!!!! I'm so sorry about the mishaps, and even more sorry about Thunder (it's one of my faves - of all 4 I have, lol) :sad:. Any way you can save it? I wonder what it is about it though, it's the only one I had a problem with too.

For your River Stone, just go to the Unii website: on the page where they explain about depotting, there is also a very comprehensive YouTube on how to fix crumbled e/s.

Here is my palette :biggrin:

6113bf65.jpg

Would you mind sharing yours please :graucho:?