Jolie and Pitt give $2 million gifts

I guess I must be one of those naive people who don't see things this way. =) I'm not them so I wouldn't know what their motives are. If some attentions are drawn to issues that are often ignored as a result of them, I see that as positive.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie were accused of pocketing the $$ made from their daughter's pictures. The agency who took the pictures released an official statement saying that the $$ were not written out to Brad Pitt and/or Angelina Jolie. It went to charities.

I have read reports that she donated a lot more than the amount just listed (1/3 of her income), I'm sure many people are not aware of that. Of course, there are some who contribute more than them combined, but it doesn't hurt that they take part as well.

If publicity is not a motivating factor (at least to some extent) for them, why do they feel compelled to issue press releases regarding their donations?

It smacks of "Look at me! I'm special!".

MANY, MANY people do as much - and more - than they do and don't feel the need to run around announcing their donations.

I am much more impressed by those who just go quietly about the business of doing good than I am with those who feel the need to announce to the world how "wonderful" and "generous" they are.

Good for them.:yes: Too bad some people think that the only reason they do it is to get publicity.
Totally agree! And I believe it's the media's obsession with this couple... they are constantly photographed and published in magazines. It's not like they can help it when everything they do and say are made known to the public.

Despite what others may think about them, I still adore this couple.

I dont think they are going out of there way to make there charitable donations public, I think that they are a closely watched couple in hollywood and every and anything they do is automatically in the papers.

did anyone of you watch that angelina special awhile back? just after she had her daughter? if you had watched that, you would know that she does humanitarian work because she wants to change the world, not because she wants a pat on the back.

I might be one of the few people who hope this doesn't end, their donation is only positive. Their influences on their friends are good as well -- George Clooney and Matt Damon are doing some of their shares.

I am not saying the donations should end....but the publicity and media attention should.

Sandra Bullock makes huge donations but does she announce it everytime she makes a donation. NO. now that's what I call class.

To many people, she adopts children and donates $$/time to look good in BP & the public's eyes. I'm not her so I have no idea why she does what she does. It's known that AJ adopted a son and has been contributing money/time to various causes during Tom Raider & Beyond Borders days -- years before BP came in the picture. Her works are talked about more now b/c she's in the spotlight ever since she & BP got together.

I disagree that she doesn't have class just because an announcement was made regarding the Foundation being established under their names. George Lucas recently gave $175 million to USC (can't remember the exact numbers & details), is he accused of seeking attention and not having class? There were formal announcements on Bill Gates donating tons of money to causes he believes in as well.

I never said that Angelina Jolie's the first/last/only person who adopts children. She's also not the only person who contributes money/time to charitable causes. I give her credit for her works regardless of her intentions (whatever they are).

Just my 2cents. =)

Sandra Bullock makes huge donations but does she announce it everytime she makes a donation. NO. now that's what I call class.

Sekmedt, please allow me to use SB as an example. =)

Sandra Bullock, Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Garner, and other stars' donations to Katrina & various causes were documented in papers. These stars were interviewed, I remember reading about them; they weren't mum about them. Some of these stars aren't in the weekly tabloids as much as BP/AJ. I'm sure the magazines won't feature them (regardless of what they do) anymore if their stories no longer sell. People/Hello magazine wouldn't pay millions of dollars for Shiloh's pictures if they aren't confident that their exclusive pictures will fly off the shelves. What's the big deal about them & their kids? I have no idea.

Well I think that publicity brings awareness to people; especially since Brad and Angelina is so famous. Whatever their motives might be, at least they're contributing to society. We should give them credit for that.

If publicity is not a motivating factor (at least to some extent) for them, why do they feel compelled to issue press releases regarding their donations?

It smacks of "Look at me! I'm special!".

MANY, MANY people do as much - and more - than they do and don't feel the need to run around announcing their donations.

I am much more impressed by those who just go quietly about the business of doing good than I am with those who feel the need to announce to the world how "wonderful" and "generous" they are.

agreed!!!

I love Angie and Brad! My mom actually met Angelina in person, and she says she is the most beautiful person inside and out! She is nice with everyone, and she does not act like a diva. I think it is really good that both Angelina, and Brad are doing this. At least they are doing this to help the needy. Not like other celebs who don't do anything.