I couldn't believe my ears...about favoring sons over daughters...

It's interesting to think about this all especially as a parent. I still can't figure out what's the benefit for a life insurance policy on a child is. As another poster said, it's to replace the income on the primary wage earner so the minor age dependents can continure to live until they become adults or graduate from college and find work. When you think about it, they're not that much money for what you have to pay for them.

It happens... to some families, they feel that they don't need to do too much for the girls, because sooner or later, she will be married off, & she will no longer be a part of the family anymore. She would belong to a different family, & that family, mostly her husband, will take care of her, give her shelter, food & clothes.
Whereas for the boys, they need to carry on the family name, so they need to inherit everything in order to keep the family going for many more generations to come.

As another poster said, it's to replace the income on the primary wage earner so the minor age dependents can continure to live until they become adults or graduate from college and find work.
:rolleyes: That's not the only reason for buying life insurance, especially when buying it for your child. As I mentioned, in my case it was so they could get the insurance going at a cheaper rate for me, and also to get an insurance option that had an investment component to it. Honestly, I wish people would stop assuming that a parent who buys life insurance for their child has sinister motives or something. :rolleyes: Be open-minded enough to realize that there are other financial reasons for it.

I was just going to make this point. It's unlikely the parent was buying "term" insurance for the child, that is, inexpensive insurance that is renewed each year. Rather, the parent was probably buying "whole life" insurance, or some variant that had an investment component to it.

If that's the case, he's undoubtedly making a poor investment and could have used any of dozens of other financial products to make better use of the money. I'd say that his choice is further testament to his ignorance.
Are you referring to MY situation? I should hope not because the word ignorance would not apply. :rolleyes:

My parents bought me and my little brother life insurance policies a couple of years back due to the same reasoning as nathansgirl1908's father. Everyone in the family has a permanent life insurance policy, it's much cheaper to get it when we are young. My little sister is thirteen and her life insurance policy is already paid off, my parents purchased it for her when she was a couple of months old. I know there are other investments out there, but I don't think my parents purchased life insurance policies for us because they are ignorant.

I think every family situation is different, my mother is the one who actually favors my little brother the most, while my father favors my little sister the most, and I have have the shorter end of the stick in this situation. But alas, my parents are good to us all, so I can't complain too much.

Many cultures favour sons over daughters it is so sad. I have a son & a daughter i love them equally & I don't have insurance policiies on either as if ever anything happened to them no money would ever compensate me!

I'm chinese and my parents just have me and my brother. They don't favor one of us over the other. Relatives are different though, especially when we were visiting in China. They were a lot nicer to my brother than they were to me. Sometimes, when they were passing out red envelopes, he would get one and I wouldn't. It happened at parties too when we were little.