How Young is TOO Young?

Good question.

Well, I think children should be taught to appreciate things and there should be a balance depending on your lifestyle. Currently, my daughter goes to a school where they have uniforms, which is a huge, wonderful blessing. This was done in our school system to keep down the competition among the students.

Right now my DD is 9, she has some brand recognition for sure and I indulge her, but she's certainly not spoiled. A growing girl with designer jeans that she'll wear for one season...I don't think so. She has a cell phone..pre-paid which I got at an after Thanksgiving sale for $9 bucks. She has electronic games. Purses? Well she knows Coach because that's what Mommy carries, but I don't plan on buying her her own bag. She does have a Scribble cosmetic bag...but she tricked me out of it. She was looking at my bags and saw the tag still on it, batted her eyes and I gave it to her..that's one bag that I bought on clearance for $24 and honestly, I want it back! But I gave her specific instructions that caring for this bag determined if she could carry any of my old ones. Likely, she'll have to get a job and buy her own if she wants one, just like I had to.

I love this topic being that I had to work for my first Coach bag. My parents are very practical and have always taught me that if I want something nice, I have to work for it. So I did and now everything in my collection is either bought and paid for by myself or has been given to me as a gift on special occasions by friends/family. I'm 22 btw. I definitely think that I will teach my daughter to do the same thing whether it be by earning it through grades, chores or a part-time job.

But to each their own. I don't really think there's a right answer to this question.

The first time I was ever interested in designer bags was when I was 10 yrs old. My older cousin had her really "cool" Liz Claiborne (I think she counts as a designer or sort of like one) bag that all my other cousins were obsessing over. That was the start my addiction, and how I found out about designer bags. But I didn't end up getting anything designer until I was 12 and got a little mini skinny.

I think it's all about the enviorment. I would have never started liking designer bags without the affect the bag made on my cousins.

I really like reading everybody's opinions on this topic. As for me, I didn't get my first Coach bag until I was 20 (:wtf: so I'm a late bloomer... lol). Anyway, that was only because when I was younger I never really had an appreciation for "designer" stuff in general, not just handbags. My dad used to get so mad at me (he STILL does) because i'm cheap, so I'd buy like a pair of shoes from Payless and then complain that they hurt my feet... or that the pleather cut the back of my ankles. He'd get mad and tell me that if I wanted good quality shoes, to stop being cheap and go buy some all leather ones from Dillards. (BTW, I'm SO not dissing payless or anybody that shops there... cuz I STILL do on ocassion... lol). Anyway, I never believed him... mainly because I could not fathom spending more than like $15 on shoes... lol. Same went for clothes and handbags. I was also a tomboy and never into the whole purse thing either. BUT, as I've gotten older, I have come to really appreciate GOOD QUALITY stuff... not so much name brands. I have just realized that Coach IS GOOD QUALITY. And NOTHING like the little $10 bags I used to (and still do) buy at Old Navy and American Eagle. I still have all those bags and I ABSOLUTELY love them for doing more casual things. Going to a football game = American Eagle bag with lots of pockets to sneak candy inside (lol)... going to a formal banquet = Coach pouch... lol... it's really just that simple for me.

Anyway, sorry for my randomness!

M.

P.S. Oh yeah, as for the cell phone thing... I didn't get one until I was in COLLEGE <~ again, just a late bloomer... hehe

I started off with dooney & bourke as my first obsession. I was shocked to say the least when my first son started school. All the kids with every designer type of sneaker, shirts, jackets, even bookbags (and this was many, many years ago - today it is the norm) No designer handbags on the girls though as they were too young. But this is how it all starts. Wasn't very long before my son said he wanted this brand and that brand.

As far as my daughter, they start reading fashion magazines at the age of 11-12 and see all of this, and it adds to the peer pressure.

My kids are now 22 and 20 and still will not wear non-branded clothing or accessories, because it is "just not cool" in their words. The college campuses though are flooded with so many fakes.

Haha, well I'm a minor (younger than 14...), and I just got my very first Coach. Every single girl in my town must own a Coach, some maybe a Louis Vuitton around when they are in 5th grade. I don't think it's ridiculous, it's how I've been brought up. My town is a very high-end town, I guess. Lol. My whole town is allllllll about labels.

Sorry if I seemed "flamey...ish". Lol....again.

What is it about Illinois? I mean - seriously?? :rolleyes: I hear ya sister.

I grew up in Illinois, and EVERYONE was label conscious (I mean, we weren't running around in YSL, but still)... I was more interested at ages 11-12 about getting the latest Abercrombie, American Eagle, Tommy, Calvin Klein, Bebe, Guess, whatever came along, etc... I started tanning & getting my nails done regularly between ages 11-12..... I carried mid-level bags, usually in the $100-$200 range, and luckily my major handbag obssession didn't catch until college - otherwise I would be really, broke right now...

I recently went and bought my oldest niece (12), who still lives back in IL, some clothes from some "designer" stores, because I know how label conscious the kids can be in Jr. High... she has friends that carry Coach demis, and I am planning on getting her & her younger sister (10) either a demi or makeup case for their next round of birthdays...

I think it has to do alot with environment & what the kid's personality is... Some kids would trash a $200 bag, others would keep it and take very good care of it... that is what I would look at.

(I still have an Espirit straw handbag that I got during a summer at the end of HS, I've hung onto it because I still really like it! :smile: )

P.S. Oh yeah, as for the cell phone thing... I didn't get one until I was in COLLEGE <~ again, just a late bloomer... hehe

Sometimes I help my BIL out at his cell phone kiosk at a local mall, and I have seen kids as young as 5 with a cell phone. It completely blows my mind. I worked on Friday for him and there was a kid, no older than 11 with a Dolce & Gabbana Razr. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I love this topic being that I had to work for my first Coach bag. My parents are very practical and have always taught me that if I want something nice, I have to work for it. So I did and now everything in my collection is either bought and paid for by myself or has been given to me as a gift on special occasions by friends/family. I'm 22 btw. I definitely think that I will teach my daughter to do the same thing whether it be by earning it through grades, chores or a part-time job.

But to each their own. I don't really think there's a right answer to this question.

Wow you have such a fabulous collection for such a young age!

Sometimes I help my BIL out at his cell phone kiosk at a local mall, and I have seen kids as young as 5 with a cell phone. It completely blows my mind. I worked on Friday for him and there was a kid, no older than 11 with a Dolce & Gabbana Razr. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Lol... I know! It's INSANE!!! My little brother just got his cell phone for Christmas (he's 14 btw and a freshman in high school) and I was TOTALLY peeved when he got it cuz I had to BEG my parents for mine when I was already in college... and I HAD MY OWN MONEY... lol! Anyway, he was (like me, in a way) the "late bloomer" too with all of his friends... he was THE ONLY one without a freakin cell phone... lol... All the rest of his friends had had theirs since they were like in the 6th grade, if not younger... CRAZINESS!!! :confused1:

right now i'm 16 and i got my first designer bag in 7th grade( i was around 12). it was a D&B it bag. i didn't take care of it well and it ended up in the trash after 8th. also i got 4 l.a.m.b for lesportsac bags in between 8th grade and 10th grade, but those have all lasted.

in 9th grade i got my 1st coach bag and it was actually quite funny. i was in lord&taylor at my mom and spied a yellow optic hobo half off. i loved it and asked my mom for it. Seeing how many coach bags she has, she goes "don't you have a coach bag yet?" and i'm like no, so she's like oo you need one then.
Now i'm in 11th and have about 12 designer bags, a wristlet, and a wallet.

When i walk around i now see 8 year old girls with coach on and decked out in abercrombie tanktops and mini skirts. Society has def. has changed in a few years and i think it's kind of ridiculous. If the child is responsible enough to carry the item and take care of it, it's fine. If they are throwing it around and getting stains on it it's another thing. But when i was in elementary school, no one had designer bags, most ppl didn't even carry bags and in middle school i was one of the 1st few to have a designer bag. Now so many people of all ages has them, but of course you see fakes. My school district is huge with 12 elementary schools, 4 middle schools,and 2 high schools. there's all kinds of people mixed in, so it really just ends up depending on your income.

I really like reading everybody's opinions on this topic. As for me, I didn't get my first Coach bag until I was 20 (:wtf: so I'm a late bloomer... lol). Anyway, that was only because when I was younger I never really had an appreciation for "designer" stuff in general, not just handbags. My dad used to get so mad at me (he STILL does) because i'm cheap, so I'd buy like a pair of shoes from Payless and then complain that they hurt my feet... or that the pleather cut the back of my ankles. He'd get mad and tell me that if I wanted good quality shoes, to stop being cheap and go buy some all leather ones from Dillards. (BTW, I'm SO not dissing payless or anybody that shops there... cuz I STILL do on ocassion... lol). Anyway, I never believed him... mainly because I could not fathom spending more than like $15 on shoes... lol. Same went for clothes and handbags. I was also a tomboy and never into the whole purse thing either. BUT, as I've gotten older, I have come to really appreciate GOOD QUALITY stuff... not so much name brands. I have just realized that Coach IS GOOD QUALITY. And NOTHING like the little $10 bags I used to (and still do) buy at Old Navy and American Eagle. I still have all those bags and I ABSOLUTELY love them for doing more casual things. Going to a football game = American Eagle bag with lots of pockets to sneak candy inside (lol)... going to a formal banquet = Coach pouch... lol... it's really just that simple for me.

Anyway, sorry for my randomness!

M.

You really sound like me. I wasn't into designer bags either and didn't get my first Coach piece until last week...I'm 21!! I just recently started getting into designer bags. I was extremely cheap and would go and get bags at WalMart then I would complain when the "leather like substance" would shred and look like crap. So when my wallet that I've had since I was like 15 started falling apart a while back I knew I had to get a new one. I immediately thought of Coach because I'd seen a few girls in my classes carrying the bags and I liked the way they looked. I figured they wouldn't have anything that I could afford, but I saw a mini skinny for 48 dollars and I bought it right away! I absolutely ADORE it! Now I'm going on Wednesday to the boutique to get the Hamptons Watercolor Striped Wristlet...even though I'm completely broke. But what can I say? I need something colorful for summer and don't have that much money. I can swing 78 bucks! Of course my best friend is like "you don't need that now, why are you getting it if you don't have that much money?" I'm like "you don't understand dude, I NEED to have it. It's an unhealthy obsession." I'm also going to pick up the perfume for my mom. I figure if I get it for her, I can always sneak a few sprays in every now and then. I got a free sample in the mail when I ordered my mini skinny and I've been having people sniff my wrists all day. They love it! I have a tax return coming in anyway even though it's only for 68 bucks. I just keep telling my mom it will cover most of my wristlet. She doesn't know that I'm getting her the perfume yet so I'm sure she'll change her attitude once she sees that I also got something for HER.

And I'm reading everybody's responses about how they've gotten their children and young neices Coach items. My mother would NEVER do something like that! She's not into labels, but wow I wish she was. You guys must certainly be at the top of your loved ones lists! :yes: Would anybody like to adopt a daughter or neice? I promise I won't bite!

And I'm reading everybody's responses about how they've gotten their children and young neices Coach items. My mother would NEVER do something like that! She's not into labels, but wow I wish she was. You guys must certainly be at the top of your loved ones lists! :yes: Would anybody like to adopt a daughter or neice? I promise I won't bite!

MINE NEITHER! She would have rolled on the floor in hysterical laughter if I had EVER asked her for a designer bag when I was younger :roflmfao: She REALLY would have... lol. But now that I'm older (and have my own money), her and I obssess TOGETHER! Lol... we do the whole "If you buy this for me, then I'll buy that for you..." thing which TOTALLY (in our eyes) justifies buying Coach! She tells my dad it's a gift for me, and I tell my boyfriend it's a gift for her... now how can they argue with that!? Lol... oh man, my mom and I are PRETTY SNEAKY! :graucho:

MINE NEITHER! She would have rolled on the floor in hysterical laughter if I had EVER asked her for a designer bag when I was younger :roflmfao: She REALLY would have... lol. But now that I'm older (and have my own money), her and I obssess TOGETHER! Lol... we do the whole "If you buy this for me, then I'll buy that for you..." thing which TOTALLY (in our eyes) justifies buying Coach! She tells my dad it's a gift for me, and I tell my boyfriend it's a gift for her... now how can they argue with that!? Lol... oh man, my mom and I are PRETTY SNEAKY! :graucho:

Well ya know, it's funny now. After my mini skinny came in the mail and I showed my mom she didn't react as badly as I thought she would. I think she's finally realizing that their products are just excellent quality. I even told her that I'm going to get the wristlet on Wed and she didn't yell at me. She was just like "Oh yeah? You can probably use your tax return to pay for most of it." I told her that's the only thing I'm buying until fall (I really like the Hamptons Pebbled Leather Wristlet in Sand. I basically just LOVE the whole Hamptons line. I really want the matching mini skinny for the Watercolor Wristlet but if I buy the perfume for my mom I won't have any money left whatsoever. Sigh. It's such a pricey obsession!