How many here bashed LV Monogram line and now they love them?..

A good friend of mine got a mono Speedy when we were in high school (first time I ever saw one IRL) and I didn't like it and then decided to hate LV in general (geez, talk about going 0 to 60 in 2 seconds!). But my hate for LV was actually jealousy towards my friend who got a super expensive bag and I wanted one too!

20 years later, problem solved. :lol:

Me. I am guilty too. I said how ugly they were until my friend bought a mono speedy and I saw up close how pretty/nice the monogram really is.

Now I have two mono pieces and seeing my 3rd.

I've never hated it..my mom always used the monogram bags when I was little so I grew up with it. It just took me awhile to figure out what it was. Same with my mom's friends, and that's what I think attracted me to it, since that was before the monogram became so recognizable.
Anyway, now I don't ALWAYS carry monogram bags though, I do like to vary my collection and collect pieces from other lines too.

I didn't bash the line, but I was certainly 100% indifferent about LV when I first purchased my wallet. I'd seen the bags, but I didn't know about the company. I just bought the silly thing, for a whopping $175, because they were the ONLY company around that had one in the particular style I preferred. Only when I saw how well it was holding up, and I worked in a store where they were sold, did I embrace the line to any degree.

The monogram canvas pattern is really old - from 1896!

Georges Vuitton came out with the design as a tribute to his father (Louis Vuitton) who died a few years before. The symbols in the pattern are even older. If you've ever seen the Doge's Palace in Venice it has the hydrofoils in stone as part of the architecture. The star shaped symbols were found as far back as ancient egypt and both symbols have been used by ancient civilizations throughout the world.

Another reason that Georges developed a new pattern so soon after the Damier came out is because the Damier was being counterfeited - yes there were fake LV's over 100 years ago! - but back then it was all luggage since Vuitton didn't make handbags until much later. It is suggested in the Birth of Modern Luxury that the symbols in the pattern are perfect for luggage since they are found all over the world and thereby inspire the owner to travel.

So how can you hate something with such a history? It's a great look and when I see that familiar pattern I think of old Georges Vuitton scratching out his designs trying to come up with something classic. I think he did pretty good, don't you?

grannyshorts said:
Count me in ... I hated them! Now I'm a total convert to the Church of Louis. :smile:

Still don't have any mono pieces, but I have a Damier alma, and I'm 2 seconds away from talking myself into a black MC speedy! Mostly because I keep drooling over the pics of Irene's! I also have my eye on a panda agenda on eBay ... and a green denim baggy GM.

See? Convert. Sigh.

Great, please post some pics when you get it.

misslola said:
I never thought about it much one way or the other. Now that I have one, I absolutely love it. In fact, it grows on you! I think it is a very timeless, classic item, and neutral enough to go with anything.

I believe It will grow on me as well and yes..now I find it classic as my Epi bags.

chanelvgirl said:
It's the damier I did not liked at first. I started to pay attention to it when my sister in law bought her first damier piece. And thanks to this forum, I eventually fell in love with the damier speedy and bought one a few weeks ago:love:

Congrats, I always loved Damier line and now the new speedy in Damier is gorgeous, enjoy it.

BagLady14 said:
The monogram canvas pattern is really old - from 1896!

Georges Vuitton came out with the design as a tribute to his father (Louis Vuitton) who died a few years before. The symbols in the pattern are even older. If you've ever seen the Doge's Palace in Venice it has the hydrofoils in stone as part of the architecture. The star shaped symbols were found as far back as ancient egypt and both symbols have been used by ancient civilizations throughout the world.

Another reason that Georges developed a new pattern so soon after the Damier came out is because the Damier was being counterfeited - yes there were fake LV's over 100 years ago! - but back then it was all luggage since Vuitton didn't make handbags until much later. It is suggested in the Birth of Modern Luxury that the symbols in the pattern are perfect for luggage since they are found all over the world and thereby inspire the owner to travel.

So how can you hate something with such a history? It's a great look and when I see that familiar pattern I think of old Georges Vuitton scratching out his designs trying to come up with something classic. I think he did pretty good, don't you?

Thanks so much for that piece of history, great information about LV monogram, do you have a link or website with deeper info about their lines or other classic pieces?

Pursegrrl said:
A good friend of mine got a mono Speedy when we were in high school (first time I ever saw one IRL) and I didn't like it and then decided to hate LV in general (geez, talk about going 0 to 60 in 2 seconds!). But my hate for LV was actually jealousy towards my friend who got a super expensive bag and I wanted one too!

20 years later, problem solved. :lol:

That was a happy end.

BagLady14 said:
HISTORY

is a web site with some history info, but the best source is the book titled..

LOUIS VUITTON: The Birth of Modern Luxury

It looks like this..

That is definitely the best book! I got it for Christmas and I'm still not finished with it yet..I've been trying to pace myself lol.