How do you reason spending $1600 on a handbag?

You shouldn't have to reason it. If you can afford it and pay all your other bills, then you should treat yourself to it. If it will make you happy and you don't have anything that you need to pay with the money, go ahead and do it.

I have the same issue with bags that high, but if I really want something, I'll do my darndest to get it.

ITA! If I like it and it makes me happy, I figure that's reason enough.

I will beat a dead horse here but ... your money, you spend it the way you see fit. It is not your boyfriend's business, nor is it your parents' business. Just don't get yourself into trouble financially. A good bag will last a long time.

I purchased my Louis Vuitton Speedy 25 in 1988. No, that's not a typo. I am carrying it with me at work today. 'Nuff said.

I make sure I use my bags A LOT to make them worth the investment, which also means I don't have THAT many bags to choose from so they each get some quality time. I'm sure that theory doesn't work so much when you have a large selection. Some of the tpf members are true collectors and it's the joy of collecting and owning such beautiful creations!

I was in grad school for longer than average and was making $1000/month. I recall a time when I fell in love with a Louis Vuitton bucket back then $650 and resorted to eating ramen for a month and having to borrow from my bf (now husband) and my parents because my credit card didn't cover it all and my checking acct was pitiful because there was always another $100 book some professor needed me to buy. You know what, I think it was worth it because I still have that LV bucket and though I've literally graduated onto bags that now cost several thousand, I still love that bag. Maybe going into debt isn't necessarily condoned. I understand what you're going through with grad school priorities and the need to really treat yourself to something nice because grad school really does beat you down mentally and emotionally and that nice handbag you carry can just remind you....if I stick it out in grad school long enough, many more of these bags can be affordable...or in the interim the thought would be, "I'd would have paid this back off by then".

Courtneymitchell, you obviously love the bag enough to come on here and start this thread. Based on this alone, I think you should get the bag!

I agree with most of the comments already. Don't worry about what your family thinks, just tell them that they want you to be happy - and you are! :biggrin:

You shouldn't have to reason it. If you can afford it and pay all your other bills, then you should treat yourself to it. If it will make you happy and you don't have anything that you need to pay with the money, go ahead and do it.

I have the same issue with bags that high, but if I really want something, I'll do my darndest to get it.

I agree-and with my LVs and Chanels, I know they're great quality bags and I've seen how long they lasted for my mom. Knowing I'm not spending that kind of money on a bag that will fall apart in a week is a big draw for me as well.

Well ... I figure if I can justify spending 13K on a bag, I can pretty much reason my way out of everything.:sweatdrop:

The way I see it is that if you like the item and know you'll always treasure it, go for it. As long as you're not hurting other ppl in doing so, more power to you!:yes:

Ya'll are great and so supportive! I am truly in love with this forum. I saw a website that just slashed the price tag of the Mahala in 1/2 ($947.50). So, now if I go for the Mahala over the Maddy then I'll save about 600 dollars? Crazy, huh, since the Maddy is the smaller version of the Mahala. I'm calling first thing in the morning!

courtneymitchell, get what you love. So if you KNOW you're going to love that Mahala as much as you would the Maddy, then go for it. Don't just get it because it's on sale. That's a lot of money to be half in love with something.

courtneymitchell, get what you love. So if you KNOW you're going to love that Mahala as much as you would the Maddy, then go for it. Don't just get it because it's on sale. That's a lot of money to be half in love with something.

Yes, agree! :jammin:
I have similar tendencies to buy things that are sale and think yeah maybe I like it as much. However they are both quite expensive, so I would get which attracts me the most.