How do you approach jewelry shopping and collecting?

This.

Never buy jewelry as an investment or with the intent of someday passing it on to heirs because the next generation will have their jewelry preferences and probably won't care for ours.

These days I only buy jewelry I can enjoy wearing in my every day life. The special occasion pieces spend too much time in the safe and don't get nearly enough wear to justify the cost.

I don't buy jewelry that's so expensive I'm going to be heartsick if it's lost. Because jewelry is easily lost. I've lost a lot of jewelry over the years, and I suspect most others have too. My mom worked in a high school and the amount of lost jewelry that was turned into the school office was astonishing. And that was just the stuff that was turned in.

That said I think it's important to every once in a while splurge on a piece you love and then wear the heck out of it, heedless to the fear of losing an expensive piece of jewelry. Because life is short.

Love this....life is indeed short...no matter how expensive a jewelry is, use it often..to heck with the scratches..

Here's my advice. Don't buy to collect. Don't buy to invest. Buy a piece of jewelry because it makes you happy to look at it and to wear it. If you buy what you love, pretty soon you'll have the perfect collection.

Reactions: splurgetothemax
Here's my advice. Don't buy to collect. Don't buy to invest. Buy a piece of jewelry because it makes you happy to look at it and to wear it. If you buy what you love, pretty soon you'll have the perfect collection.

+1 also long is it fits into your budget and you absolutely love it add anything you fancy to your collection.

Some of my most worn pieces of jewellery have been flea market finds that have started me off in a new directions as I've discovered something new to collect.

+1 also long is it fits into your budget and you absolutely love it add anything you fancy to your collection.

Some of my most worn pieces of jewellery have been flea market finds that have started me off in a new directions as I've discovered something new to collect.

You know, a companion thread could be photos of our three favorite/most worn pieces and the stories behind each. The best pieces in my collection have a story, even if that story is that they're a spectacular sample sale find.

You know, a companion thread could be photos of our three favorite/most worn pieces and the stories behind each. The best pieces in my collection have a story, even if that story is that they're a spectacular sample sale find.

Great idea! You should create a thread! I'd contribute to it! Top 3 most worn pieces and story behind them. Wow!

+1 here too.

I personally became interested in fine jewelry after I got engaged 3.5 years ago - I thought I would just buy a random ring in the display cabinet and be done with it. I was so wrong - I soon became obsessed with finding the right diamond and spent so much time in jewelry shops. I did not make a conscious decision to stop buying costume though. It just happened, I unconsciously reduced my visits to the costume jewelry section - now all I see is glassy jewels and metals that will turn - not appealing at all!

I found a not so great diamond guy to begin with then progressed to an amazing diamond guy who found my perfect diamond. A jeweller that gets you is worth their weight in gold! He has helped me navigate fine jewelry so much and I have learnt so much from him. It's worth working with a jeweller for more substantial pieces ($5k+) otherwise for dainty prices it's not worth yours and their time - it's fun browsing on etsy and small jewelry retailers for that anyway! He has helped with some custom work for me (nothing fancy - some diamond studs which I wear daily and soon a tennis bracelet)

So far, most of my jewelry was bought for the intent of everyday use. I buy 18kt gold mostly, I dabbled once with a diamond and platinum ring just to see what it's like - but I prefer WG for the ease of maintenance. I love pearl and diamonds - but I am not really into gems. I just buy what I'm into and don't feel like i need to buy just to "round off my collection"

I also have 9 and 14k trendy jewelry bought with the intend of just getting a trendy design, I prefer this to vermeil gold. This has replaced my costume jewelry purchasing.

Anyway - sorry for the long post. Have fun shopping! Remember to get things that make you kinda giddy with excitement. Otherwise it's just (expensive) clutter! xx

I buy jewelry routinely as items of personal adornment and as a place to put money. If you buy correctly you can always sell it if you get tired of it Maybe not always for profit but often just getting your money out. I only buy high quality items that are unusual. Platinum, 18k, or 14k. Even Cartier used 14k circa WWll. I almost never buy new jewelry from a store. I buy from reputable dealers. I prefer French jewelry or pre 1970 Italian jewelry. US jewelry before 1975. Signed pieces are the best to hold value but if you buy quality the best value is older unsigned jewelry.

I bought a beaded bracelet 14k 10 g for 1000 then my mom came home and bought the same weight and karat and same style custom made for half of what I bought mine...****...I dont get how they come up with gold prices..anyway I gotta learn yo love my bracelet than wallow on how much I spend on this bracelet...so to you just buy what you love and dont mind if its investment or not