How do you approach jewelry shopping and collecting?

KBecks

Dec 19, 2015
Hi Jewelry Box fans,

I wanted to ask the community here how you look at purchasing fine jewelry. I'm just considering buying jewelry and I am trying to get my head around it. I keep thinking about value and bargains and wanting to know that if the money isn't an investment, it's not getting totally thrown away. (Or if it is, I want to be aware of it.)

I've read that sometimes people only purchase 18k or platinum -- why is that? What is your collecting style? Do you use all your jewelry purchases and has it taken you much trial and error to find the pieces you love the most?

Do you have a relationship with a jeweler and any advice for working with a jeweler (and not feeling uncomfortable in jewelry stores). Do you window shop often?

Do you purchase online and what has that been like for you?
Any other advice you have to share or rules about buying that you think are important?

Thanks for any discussion!

KBecks

So I'm a jewelry newbie somewhat too. I'd bought costume jewelry a lot in the past, but only recently got into fine jewelry. Honestly, as overpriced as it can be, I still stick to silver a lot of the time because of design availability. Platinum and 18k gold are easier to sell as scrap, though.

That being said, my only advice is this: buy pieces that make your heart sing. It's jewelry and it's all beautiful, but you need to love it. My taste is off-kilter, so traditional pieces just aren't worth it for me.

Ultimately, the only guaranteed value is your appreciation of it. You may get lucky and buy branded pieces that become popular after a few years, but there's no way to predict this. It's not worth it to base your purchases on this.

For me, I consider my budget and start with the classic pieces. Those are the staples that I can use all the time. Then now adding some fun pieces for variety. I only buy gold jewelries but I still have the costume jewelries that I own in the past. Mix & match! I have a never ending wishlist for jewelries especially those with diamonds but I do not rush myself to get all things at once or I'll be broke forever. Lol! I do not think much about the resale value / appraisal because I do not intend to sell / pawn my jewelries in the future & my collection is not that vast.

Hi Jewelry Box fans,

I wanted to ask the community here how you look at purchasing fine jewelry. I'm just considering buying jewelry and I am trying to get my head around it. I keep thinking about value and bargains and wanting to know that if the money isn't an investment, it's not getting totally thrown away. (Or if it is, I want to be aware of it.)

I've read that sometimes people only purchase 18k or platinum -- why is that? What is your collecting style? Do you use all your jewelry purchases and has it taken you much trial and error to find the pieces you love the most?

Do you have a relationship with a jeweler and any advice for working with a jeweler (and not feeling uncomfortable in jewelry stores). Do you window shop often?

Any other advice you have to share or rules about buying that you think are important?

KBecks

To answer your questions
-I think anything less than 18karat may need replating in the future due to color change
-I use all my jewelries but I have my favorites, no trial & error because I think of how & when I use the jewelry before making the purchase
-I buy my jewelries in-store (shops & jeweller) and online
-Yes, I window shop often :smile:
-I tried purchasing online but just once for a gold hoop earrings
-Invest on classic pieces that you love :smile: happy shopping!

Hi Jewelry Box fans,

KBecks
I'm not convinced jewelry is an "investment." Having said that, it makes me happy to collect it so I do! I think it's important to know your budget and stick to it. Buy or have made things that you absolutely love and are excited to wear. I love working with a jeweler. You can design something that is unique and totally your style and you can control the budget. If the store is making you feel uncomfortable, I'd turn and walk away. Jewelry purchases and designing should be fun.

The higher the Karat (I.e. 10k, 14k, 18k) the softer the metal. It also changes the color.

I have never bought any jewellery with "investment" in mind,only because I love the piece when I set eyes on it!
My tastes have changed dramatically over the years,from antique & Art Deco to the more modern designs like diamond studs & pendants.I have a vast pearl collection ranging from the first purchased freshwater pearls to Akoyas & ripples that I wear more often nowadays.

I used to love the warmth of yellow gold & the pinky tones of rose gold,but these days I prefere the look of platinum or white gold.I think it was because back in the 1980's, so many people were wearing too much yellow gold at once,like 6 pairs of hoop earrings,a ring on every finger & a ton of gold chains round their necks! It seriously put me off the look of yellow gold so I decided to sell a large proportion of mine.
I have a nice collection of white metal jewellery now,but who knows,I might change my mind in years to come & fancy another change.

I have designed a few pieces over the years,& found the jewellers to be very easy to work with.

I purchase jewellery online all the time because the internet allows me access to find jewellers that I never knew existed.I'm from the UK & I buy most of mine from USA because the have so much more variety than over here.

Buy what you love,buy good quality & then wear it.Don't let it live in the safe or a draw.It is meant to be worn & enjoyed!

I do not buy with the intent to sell in the future..but rather for my pleasure and the pleasure of those i hope to one day be able to pass down. All of my jewelry is branded (I am a snob when it comes to that) I am lucky that i am quite young (23) and have never bought any costume jewelry. I have very classic taste so it is quite easy for me.

It is important to know what you want and your personal taste. There is so much to choose from out there and if you don't know exactly what you want/will wear it can be very overwhelming.

So I'm a jewelry newbie somewhat too. I'd bought costume jewelry a lot in the past, but only recently got into fine jewelry. Honestly, as overpriced as it can be, I still stick to silver a lot of the time because of design availability. Platinum and 18k gold are easier to sell as scrap, though.

That being said, my only advice is this: buy pieces that make your heart sing. It's jewelry and it's all beautiful, but you need to love it. My taste is off-kilter, so traditional pieces just aren't worth it for me.

Ultimately, the only guaranteed value is your appreciation of it. You may get lucky and buy branded pieces that become popular after a few years, but there's no way to predict this. It's not worth it to base your purchases on this.

:tup: +1

I like to do lots of planning, research and thinking before I make a significant purchase. Half the fun is going out to the stores, trying pieces on and deciding what is really a must have. I always ask myself what pieces have longevity of wear for me?

I'm one for making a list and then prioritising the list until I settle on the number 1 piece.

The most special pieces I own are gifts from DH or pieces I've brought when we travel, as they remind me of the good times.

I'm in my early 30s (just about still) so I don't buy cheap costume jewellery these days. Quality over quantity. I do enjoy brands which bridge the gap between costume and fine, e.g.. Monica Vinader.

I don't buy jewelry with investment in mind. I buy what I like but I stay with fine metals. I usually buy 18 or 14K in gold. Like others have posted, the lower the gold content, the higher the possibility of color fading in the future. I don't buy 22K & up gold jewelry because it's softer & I worry about wear & tear. I do buy Sterling Silver pieces as well. I like the different colors of gold & I like Sterling because of it's brightness. Sterling Silver prices are lower than Gold Jewelry. I don't buy vermeil or gold plated because the gold will wear off. I do like my white gold & Silver to be Rhodium plated so it doesn't tarnish.

I do keep a budget in mind & if I find something I really like, I will price shop. I always try to buy the best I can afford. I buy diamond pieces direct instead of online that way I can get a good look at the quality of the stones. I stopped buying costume jewelry years ago because it will just sit & collect dust. Most of my jewelry is not branded but is fine jewelry. I have found that many times when you buy branded jewelry, you're paying for the name. Usually, branded jewelry such as Cartier, VCA, Bulgari, ect will have a better resale value but that's mostly due to the name & not the quality of the piece.

While I have bought some trend jewelry, I tend to stay with classics that will always be in style. If you're just starting out, I would advise to buy the best quality you can afford & start out with classic basics like studs, diamond or pearls, simple pendants & bracelets. Buy what speaks to you & what you think you will wear. No matter what style jewelry you buy, if you won't wear it, it's not worth spending the money.

Last edited:
I buy jewelry with the intent of wearing it forever and hopefully, passing it onto my future children. I prefer 14k and 18k yellow gold, so I go to a local jeweler that I love who makes my pieces for me. I usually have an idea that I bring to her so she can give me a price estimate. Afterward, I will save up for the item (s), give an initial payment, then she brings it to life and I pay the rest when it's complete. This pertains to bracelets and necklaces.

As far as earrings go, I purchase tiny little inexpensive ones since I wear many at a time (usually in yellow gold but I have a few in white gold). For those I just shop around at small jewelers in my city. A trick I use for tiny earrings is to buy baby jewelry since they it's way cheaper. I also buy from a popular body piercing place that sells jewelry made out of strictly fine metals. While I shop around I check out the prices then save up my money and get what I have my eye on.

I also check out Nordstrom Rack for cute inexpensive silver earrings (mainly plain studs) as well as Etsy or Ebay. I've found great deals.

I stray away from "luxury" brand jewelry because I don't care for the markup prices, and I don't really purchase diamonds for personal reasons (although I have one pair of them that I got to try and change my own mind but it didn't work). Costume jewelry is also not for me because I am allergic to base metal + nickel + jewelry turning colors drives me crazy. I'm in my mid-twenties so my budget is moderate enough to drop some $$ on what I love and is of quality. The only name-brand piece I have right now is a Pandora ring. Overall, I think "classic" or "staple" means different things to different people depending on what their style is.

Last edited:
That being said, my only advice is this: buy pieces that make your heart sing....

This.

Never buy jewelry as an investment or with the intent of someday passing it on to heirs because the next generation will have their jewelry preferences and probably won't care for ours.

These days I only buy jewelry I can enjoy wearing in my every day life. The special occasion pieces spend too much time in the safe and don't get nearly enough wear to justify the cost.

I don't buy jewelry that's so expensive I'm going to be heartsick if it's lost. Because jewelry is easily lost. I've lost a lot of jewelry over the years, and I suspect most others have too. My mom worked in a high school and the amount of lost jewelry that was turned into the school office was astonishing. And that was just the stuff that was turned in.

That said I think it's important to every once in a while splurge on a piece you love and then wear the heck out of it, heedless to the fear of losing an expensive piece of jewelry. Because life is short.

Hi Jewelry Box fans,

KBecks
I agree with some of the other post that jewelry should not be considered an investment, u buy or build what floats ur boat. As to 18kt or platinium, this again a personal choice, 18kt gold is usually made into finer items, the yellow color is a little richer yellow color & a little easier on some more fragile stones, white 18kt is just about as easy to work as 14kt gold because of the nickle content. Platinium is a more rare metal but harder to work, softer than some gold & high maintenance. Everyone has their own style or knows what they want to see in the 'junk' they wear. They want unique in their items, I would think. If u have nice jewelry, u will want to show off a little so u wear ur 'choice' pieces. If they are good, others will want to see up close. Its good to get a jeweler u can trust-one who will stand behind their work 100% & will cater to ur requests-this takes time to find this person so let them know when u do. Its funny, I got a good hosing from a dealer at a gem show home-based in Fl. They sold me a composite ruby as untreated & they knew it was bad, I reported them to the attorney gen for florida & they have some great negative advertising that can bite them in the ***! Just about all my purchases were on ebay & they proved to be very good & great value-u have to read all info & ask questions-be upfront with the sellers, its to ur advantage. One of my latest pendents, ruby, diamond, & tourmaline was recently appraised over $85,000.00, for insurance, my cost was below $16,000.00 for the stones & build of the pendent, for me a one-of-a-kind item that I will not see coming at me on the street, my fun. If one can imagine how much jewelry is in the market place & how much of the fine stuff is out for sale at premie prices new retail, its a wakeup call. Just watch the gem shopping network to get an idea of whats out for the taking. Some of the more rare items do go to the high rollers, money does watch these channels & a few good buys are made, but so much is not sold even at 50-60% below retail, it is just overlooked, sent back to the seller or scrapped for the gold/gem content to be recycled & resold. Jewelry is a fun hobby to some or a family investment for others, but a chance one takes in buying, u just have to be careful with eyes open-stevie...;):cool:

When is comes to investing in jewelry, I plan my budget and scout for various options available to buy online jewelry, that fits my budget. I then do a research on the online business vendor and then invest only if its authentic and gives value for my money.I think doing the market and the vendor research, really helps in the long run, and ensures your hard earned money is well spent.

I bought from my moms family jeweller a beaded rosary bracelet 14k for something equivalent to a grand in canadian dollar. I thought itwas overpriced by I still went ahead because I love the look. I ignored my hubby telling me that 14k is not worth much in my native country. He was able to buy a ring for himself from a pawn shop worth less than what I paid for the bracelet and even heaviergoldweight with platinum 18k with diamond.now he kept on telling me how I overpaid with my bracelet. Well, ill tell you buy whatever you want dont think of the resale value or anything.I was thinking that perhaps I overpaid but the important thing is I like the bracelet. i plan to use it everyday. Good thing it is 14 k so its gonna be sturdier...crap..I also found out how cheap my diamond ring is when I tried to pawn it just to inquire its value...please...dont do when i did...the value of a thing depends on you...