Gone Missing

My mom had a beautiful diamond engagement ring she gave to me when i got engaged, b/c she was sick, and i lost her shortly after. I was very young and the marriage did not last but the ring held much significance to me. So i would hide it in various places, mostly tucked into sweaters and socks. I didn’t trust my jewelry box lol, a habit i picked up from my mom too :lol:

After losing a bunch of weight i cleared out a lot of clothes …..and then could not find it, so i thought it was lost forever. 5 years later i got engaged (new ring) and DH was transferred cross country so i had to pack up and sell my condo. I got rid of a lot of stuff as i was packing. I came across an old LL bean sweatshirt i hadn’t worn in years and was going to toss but decided for some odd reason to keep it, so into the box it went.

Fast forward 2 years. I happened to read a book about prayers for lost cause stuff and there was a chapter on sentimental jewelry. So i prayed if possible somehow the ring be returned to me even though it was a lost cause. B/c it felt like i had lost part of my connection to my mom when i lost her ring. After she died my dad packed all of her stuff and donated it without telling me, so i have very little stuff that was hers. He let my brother have most of her jewelry too.

Anyhow. A couple of weeks after that i was working on a few boxes in an unused bedroom that we hadn’t gotten to yet. I pulled that folded sweatshirt out and opened it up to debate tossing it, again. The ring plopped out and onto the floor, all those years after i thought it was long gone.
I'm so sorry for your loss but so glad you found her ring!

A baguette and diamond band. I took it of and put it somewhere in the house. I just don't know/remember where. This was years ago and I've yet to find it. :sad:

When wrapping Christmas gifts, we used to stick these bows on them. And by the next day, they'd be gone because our cats would rip them off and do God knows with them. We couldn't even find one!

So i would hide it in various places, mostly tucked into sweaters and socks. I didn’t trust my jewelry box lol, a habit i picked up from my mom too :lol:
I do this too. I have ‘lost‘ more jewelry than I care to recall. But the biggest one was my sapphire engagement ring that I believe DH threw out with the newspapers on the coffee table, decades ago.

every year, I lose my Thanksgiving notebook. It’s basically a listed schedule and some of my edits to recipes for Thanksgiving. After every Thanksgiving is over, I put the notebook somewhere safe. Lol

On my 21st birthday, my parents got me a pair of diamond stud earrings. Somewhere around 25 I lost one. I had a 2nd hole pierced in one ear long before it was fashionable, just so I could wear the lone stud. I lost my mom 13 years ago and somewhere around then the second stud fell out never to be seen again. I was pretty devastated. This summer I walked into the guest room and there sat the earring on a table. I asked my husband if he put it there. He did not. We are empty nesters so there is no one else but us at home. It will forever be a happy mystery! It now has a screw back!!

This happens to me more than I would like to admit. I am very happy though that most “lost” things have been found even if it has been more than a year later.

Still missing though, is my Dali Museum membership card. It is not linked to a credit card and to enter the museum you still need to show a photo ID, so it’s not a problem. I have a virtual member card so again it is not a problem.

They always have a cool Dali painting on them and I easily got a physical replacement card.

It just bugs me that I haven’t found it and that I have wasted more time than necessary looking for it.

Reactions: jbags07
I do this too. I have ‘lost‘ more jewelry than I care to recall. But the biggest one was my sapphire engagement ring that I believe DH threw out with the newspapers on the coffee table, decades ago.

every year, I lose my Thanksgiving notebook. It’s basically a listed schedule and some of my edits to recipes for Thanksgiving. After every Thanksgiving is over, I put the notebook somewhere safe. Lol
Must be a NYC thing lol - my mom grew up in the city but i grew up in CT yet the jewelry hiding persisted :lol:

I am so sorry to hear about your ring :sad: its so difficult to lose sentimental pieces. The items can be replaced, but its never quite the same.

Too funny about your notebooks - did they perhaps get mixed up with DH’s newspapers too?!

I had a safe I bought to store my B in when I was not using it (as one does). It had a digital keypad as well as a key lock, but I just used the keys to lock it. We were traveling one day and I hid the keys as I always did. I have never seen them since and it's been 4 years. I had to take the safe to the locksmith who took like 3 seconds to break into it (not the best safe, just a deterrent for anyone in my house with sticky fingers). To this day I have never found those keys.

My husband says when he loses things he asks the universe to please return them. Like he literally says "can I get my xxx back" and most of the time it just shows up somewhere he swears he already looked.

I'll ask the universe for those keys, again, and if they show up this weekend I am posting here for sure!