Gone Missing

Mar 9, 2013
This isn't a thread about people or pets :sad:. It's about stuff that's been missing for a month or more. You know you didn't throw or give it away. You've looked and looked. You haven't given up but where is it?!

Triggered for me by a missing Frette pillowcase. Last seen when comparing weight of different linens. Then there is my:

Sophomore High School Yearbook. Bright red cover! Where can that be hiding? Last seen when looking at photo of younger self with cuter nose. How can I prove it to my sister now?

Burt Bacharach box set. Gave in and bought a replacement

DVD cover for Call Me By Your Name. I still have the DVD thank goodness.

Thought I had lost an earring last month and was super bummed. I "borrowed" a pair of earrings from my Mom, who mentioned it was a gift from my dad to her and that it was real/not costume jewelry so I always did my best to care for them. One of them went missing and I thought it was gone forever. Searched under the dresser where I store my jewelry and emptied out all the drawers, shook out the rug nearby, crawled around on the floor looking. Nothing. Kept checking on and off for weeks just in case. So ugh not only did I lose a cool earring, but it was something sentimental and I considered taking the one left to a local jeweler to recreate so at least I'd have a matching set even if it wasn't the same.

But a happy ending - over the weekend I was cleaning/reorganizing my jewelry when I saw one of the earrings just on the dresser. I thought it was the one I knew I had left that had just fallen from where I had put it, but when I went to put it back, the other one was still there! Have both now and found a more secure way to store them so I don't lose them again.

Thought I had lost an earring last month and was super bummed. I "borrowed" a pair of earrings from my Mom, who mentioned it was a gift from my dad to her and that it was real/not costume jewelry so I always did my best to care for them. One of them went missing and I thought it was gone forever. Searched under the dresser where I store my jewelry and emptied out all the drawers, shook out the rug nearby, crawled around on the floor looking. Nothing. Kept checking on and off for weeks just in case. So ugh not only did I lose a cool earring, but it was something sentimental and I considered taking the one left to a local jeweler to recreate so at least I'd have a matching set even if it wasn't the same.

But a happy ending - over the weekend I was cleaning/reorganizing my jewelry when I saw one of the earrings just on the dresser. I thought it was the one I knew I had left that had just fallen from where I had put it, but when I went to put it back, the other one was still there! Have both now and found a more secure way to store them so I don't lose them again.
That's awesome! So happy you have both earrings

It's reached the point that I am periodically barking at my cat "Did you take it?! Where did you put it?!"

At the end of the day, it's safe to blame the dryer. It's always the dryer. Physicists will disagree with me, but I am convinced every dryer, no matter the make and age, generate portals to parallel dimensions and make our stuff disappear.

A Tiffany bracelet by Elsa that has since discontinued.

Too many rings to count. Particular one is open geometric, also Tiffany (silver).

Larq water filter. I brought three, used one off the bat, then couldn’t find the other two for the longest time. Found one, one is still MIA many months later..

My mom had a beautiful diamond engagement ring she gave to me when i got engaged, b/c she was sick, and i lost her shortly after. I was very young and the marriage did not last but the ring held much significance to me. So i would hide it in various places, mostly tucked into sweaters and socks. I didn’t trust my jewelry box lol, a habit i picked up from my mom too :lol:

After losing a bunch of weight i cleared out a lot of clothes …..and then could not find it, so i thought it was lost forever. 5 years later i got engaged (new ring) and DH was transferred cross country so i had to pack up and sell my condo. I got rid of a lot of stuff as i was packing. I came across an old LL bean sweatshirt i hadn’t worn in years and was going to toss but decided for some odd reason to keep it, so into the box it went.

Fast forward 2 years. I happened to read a book about prayers for lost cause stuff and there was a chapter on sentimental jewelry. So i prayed if possible somehow the ring be returned to me even though it was a lost cause. B/c it felt like i had lost part of my connection to my mom when i lost her ring. After she died my dad packed all of her stuff and donated it without telling me, so i have very little stuff that was hers. He let my brother have most of her jewelry too.

Anyhow. A couple of weeks after that i was working on a few boxes in an unused bedroom that we hadn’t gotten to yet. I pulled that folded sweatshirt out and opened it up to debate tossing it, again. The ring plopped out and onto the floor, all those years after i thought it was long gone.

I have the most fab 18K gold crowned skull pendant. I KNOW I took it off in the bathroom and put the pendant in a drawer, but it is nowhere to be found. The drawer it was in doesn't have it, but it never left the house since the last time I took it off, so it HAS to be somewhere. I DEFINITELY blame the dryer. No home is safe with a dryer. It it can fit, it will disappear.

This hasn't been a month, but this is still weird.

My parents made a party over the weekend. My mom rented chairs, tables, etc., and today, the rental company came to pick up everything. She had everything set up and ready to go for them, but when they started counting the chairs, we were down by one chair.

Where the hell did the chair go? How does one misplace a chair? We have absolutely no idea what happened.