Going to a wedding solo?

My friend went to a wedding solo and every older woman was trying to fix her up with their still single sons......She had a blast talking to all sorts of people and made a point to go around to all the tables and chat. She made some good job contacts too. About 4 guys called asking her out--these were the ones whose mother's asked for her phone #. But she had the personality that she was up for anything and would do crazy things. She said she had more fun alone that with a date.....

^^ Very cool, gillianna! Man as much as I'd like to say I'm normally that personality type, this time not so much.

Here's the deal. This wedding invitation is a huge reminder of my relationship that is no more. The invitation was specifically addressed to ex BF and me (rather than "pursegrrl and guest") so it was extremely special. Well the invitations got mailed out relatively early...in early May for an early September wedding. BF knew about the wedding of course but we were going through big struggles in our relationship so it wasn't a big topic. And...I procrastinated on RSVP'ing which is not normally my style. I think I subconsciously knew that he and I wouldn't make it till September so I didn't respond. Sure enough, we broke up in June...

Anyhoo...sorry about the ramble...getting the "hey you need to rsvp" email reminder from my friend the bride to be just triggered a whole bunch of emotions today. :crybaby:

Ohh, pursegrrl, you should go!! I've gone to TONS of weddings solo, it's never been a big deal. Even sometimes when I am dating a guy I'll go solo just because I know weddings aren't great fun for someone completely unfamiliar with the bride and groom (same reason I don't drag guy friends along). Plus then I can hang out with the people I know at the wedding instead of being attached to a bored SO all night. Seriously, I'm going to a wedding solo in a few weeks and I've been dating my current guy for 1.5 years now - it just wasn't convenient for him to make the drive up to Wisconsin that weekend because of work. I've never had anyone judge my lack of date and I've never felt self-conscious, even when I was single (and I was single and going to weddings for a lot of years there). Go and *have fun* - that's the important part!! Weddings are joyous occasions made more joyous by open bars - have a great time!

Bring a girl friend that may know the girl and make it a girl's night at the wedding! This is what I did with one of my friends - I was bf-less and she wanted to go so she became my guest and it was fun.

I see where you're coming from, but I think it's perfectly fine to attend a wedding solo! It's a great way to meet guys, as well! Plus, if you get there and stay a bit and are just not feeling it, you can just go home. :smile:

Pursegrrl, I say skip the damn thing if you don't want to go!

You say she's not a close friend, it's not like she's going to be extremely upset..concentrate on yourself a the moment and leave what reminds you of your ex behind (including invitations which were meant for you both)..

There'll be plenty other weddings to go to (can't stand the soppy occasions myself, bloody boring..)

Even though she's not a super close friend, I really think you should go. "Fake it 'till you make it" as they say, put on a great outfit and paint a smile on with your make up, and exude your confidence. Your friend will be grateful for your attendance, no matter if you are close friends or not. And you might just surprise yourself and have some fun!!!

You may regret not going later, as when you get through a few more months and are feeling well over the ex, you'll think about this kind of thing and wonder if you should have gone.

I'm gonna go with the minority and say don't do it if you don't feel like it. We all need to excuse ourselves from things sometimes. Give yourself permission not to go and have fun not going! I suspect that this will be far from the last op you will have to let your freak flag fly.

Well, I see you decided not to go.... what's important is what you think....so many time as women we don't give our own feelings and intuitions the credit and respect they deserve. We second guess ourselves and ask our friends for validation and then still feel guilty and angonize over the decision....I do it.

Good for you for deciding and doing what's best for you :smile:

I've been to weddings solo because I never seem to have a man. Do you know anyone else who is going? That is what really sucks is not knowing anyone else who will be there. Luckily I usually do know someone so I can just hang out with them. It still feels kind of funny not to have a date at functions like weddings which is the main time I really feel awkward not having a bf.

Hey all I really truly appreciate your viewpoints and encouragement to go (or not go!). Oh elizabethk you are too sweet to offer to go with me! I got them a really nice gift at Macys yesterday and am not feeling so wobbly today but I still need a self confidence refill and am not going.

thanks so much, everyone!!