Girls Suspended over 'Vagina Monologues'

Okay, if the school did not want the girls to say 'vagina' why did they allow the girls to read the play in the first place. You can't really read a passage from that play without saying the word.
(It doesn't sound as meaningful when it's titled The Hoo-ha Monologues.)

Second of all, it's a clinical term and it's not being used in a crude way.

The school's position is that they suspended the girls for disobeying orders, and not for what they said.

The school told the girls prior that they didnt want them to read the monologues. The area where they are from is pretty stuff shirt,IMO its stupid that they got suspended..come on 3/4 of high school students are having sex already( I do not condone that though)..saying the word "Vagina" ,and people getting offended pretty stupid.

^ I agree but I fail to see how this play has anything to do with it.

I watched a really interesting doc on English TV last year where a well-known British feminist of the 60s/70s (the original) said that she wanted to be taken seriously at the dinner table not be treated like a child. women like this author undermine these developments bec it reduces us to ridicule (sorry I feel really strongly about this). we get education, we get jobs, we can buy houses, we HAVE the children (the power), and we run the show - so why do we feel the need to reduce ourselves to this kind of female nagging/rant?

Oh I was responding to what another lady said about how the girls deserved to be punished since they broke the rules. I was just agreeing with another poster who said that if people (and she used women as an example) never broke rules then things would be very different for us today. :yes:

"Vagina" is a gateway word. It starts out by experimenting with saying "vagina," and then they move on to the next step - possession, and then distribution.

Some of these girls may have already started down that road, maybe just thinking about it, and then next thing you know, you start hearing rumors about one or the other of those girls having suspected links to a vagina, even talk that one of the girls may have a vagina, and then those monologues become dialogues, and then you've got recruitment. Going after the most vulnerable and impressionable girls, setting up training camps, sending each other coded pro-vagina messages on their cell phones, in internet chat rooms, telling the younger girls that saying "vagina" is "OK," and yes, though it is hard for parents to hear, even propaganda that implies that having a vagina is "normal."

You got to nip it in the bud, get those girls locked up now or you'll wind up with sleeper cells of vagina owners right in your own backyard.

"Vagina" is a gateway word. It starts out by experimenting with saying "vagina," and then they move on to the next step - possession, and then distribution.

Some of these girls may have already started down that road, maybe just thinking about it, and then next thing you know, you start hearing rumors about one or the other of those girls having suspected links to a vagina, even talk that one of the girls may have a vagina, and then those monologues become dialogues, and then you've got recruitment. Going after the most vulnerable and impressionable girls, setting up training camps, sending each other coded pro-vagina messages on their cell phones, in internet chat rooms, telling the younger girls that saying "vagina" is "OK," and yes, though it is hard for parents to hear, even propaganda that implies that having a vagina is "normal."

You got to nip it in the bud, get those girls locked up now or you'll wind up with sleeper cells of vagina owners right in your own backyard.

:roflmfao:

As for the whole 'being reduced to our genitals' argument, I think anyone who thinks this either has not seen the play and is (literally) judging a book by its cover, or has completely missed the point if they have.

Wow, when I was doing theatre in high-school the teacher told us "go on say it, it's not like you don't know it allready" when it came to saying rude words. I find this astounding, and extremely rediculous!
Same here. I also dont see whats wrong with the word. VAGINA, there i said it, did it offend anyone? :shrugs:

As for the whole 'being reduced to our genitals' argument, I think anyone who thinks this either has not seen the play and is (literally) judging a book by its cover, or has completely missed the point if they have.

Oh, I did say the lady has valid points but my point was that the way she SELLS and portrays those sucks because it will lead to others (men) judging us (women) by the cover and the style - i did explain that though. if they really thought that the word vagina was not a big deal these students wouldn't have said it pointedly together - they didn't do that with the word house or car, right? anyway, I have said more than enough - I am all for fighting for equality but I don't like the terms of this play - just stating MY opinion -
BTW there are parts of this play that had to be omitted bec they clearly gave the wrong message about rape of a minor incidently - and the US feminist associations required a change! I don't want to post links and stuff bec there are minors on this board but you can go find those discussion easily. I am out of this discussion.

Oh I was responding to what another lady said about how the girls deserved to be punished since they broke the rules. I was just agreeing with another poster who said that if people (and she used women as an example) never broke rules then things would be very different for us today. :yes:

^ ;), yep I have had my fair share of rule breaking..... :yes: - sorry if I got you wrong.

Oh, I did say the lady has valid points but my point was that the way she SELLS and portrays those sucks because it will lead to others (men) judging us (women) by the cover and the style

I'm still not getting what you mean by this. Have you been in contact with men that say "You know...I dislike women cause of the Vagina Monologues". I don't understand how this book, and the way its marketed, will lead to men judging women poorly.
Also, the point of them saying it together is cause they were told they couldn't. They weren't told they couldn't say "house" or "car" which is why they didn't emphasis those words. The reason this is getting press is cause the principal forbid them from saying a reasonable word during an open mic night at a non-mandatory function that was housed in a school. That is why the word was said by both and emphasised.

:roflmfao: :busted

owning a vaagiinnnnaa??!?!?! :wtf: nooooooooo!!!