Girls Suspended over 'Vagina Monologues'

The reason the word and concept of 'god' may be censored in some schools is because the context that it is usually used in draws a distinction between people that believe and don't, which in effect others and alientates people. I don't see how using the word vagina even compares to that.

Doesn't the word vagina alienate men? Well, not my husband personally...

Doesn't the word vagina alienate men? Well, not my husband personally...

No, it doesn't. It's a reference to a female body part. If a reference to a physical part of my body alienates a man and makes him feel uncomfortable (a principle of a school, no less), then we have much bigger problems on our hands.

this is ridiculous..
if they dun want to hear the word, why do they let the students do the play at the first play?Its title is "Vagina Monoloque", and they even dont allow to say the whole title??bah

Okay, if the school did not want the girls to say 'vagina' why did they allow the girls to read the play in the first place. You can't really read a passage from that play without saying the word.
(It doesn't sound as meaningful when it's titled The Hoo-ha Monologues.)

Second of all, it's a clinical term and it's not being used in a crude way.

The school's position is that they suspended the girls for disobeying orders, and not for what they said.

I agree...

Slightly related story..I once heard this guy refer to sex as the "no pants dance". Just say the damn word please, he was talking about something scientific so "no pants dance" sounds really stupid.

I have an almost 7 year old who laughs hysterically at the words "butt" (granted, not a clinical term) and "penis". Are we trying to enforce the mindset of a first-grader on high school aged young adults? How do they teach health? How do they teach sex-ed (or do they at all)?

Body parts are not controversial; they just ARE.

Vive la revolution!!! But seriously, if people never questioned rules/laws/authority we would have a very crappy world. In fact, you and I (assuming you are female) would be stuck in a kitchen somewhere, not allowed to vote or voice opinion about anything, in fact not even being educated, let alone sexually educated.
It's liberating to form opinions and ideas of what is right for youself instead of regurgitating what has been lectured to you.

We're talking about the word vagina after all.

I agree! In the past, men had ruled over women and completely dictated what they had to do. If women had never stood up for themselves and said "no", then life for us would be very different for us now.

Vagina is not a dirty word. In fact it is the correct and most tasteful word to describe that body part. It's not like the girls were saying p*ssy or c*unt. That would be a completely different story.

sorry this story is as ridiculous as the play in the first place. haven't we ladies gotten over these tiresome liberation techniques?for me the author also just wanted to make money of this (nothing wrong with that but please get of your moral high horse)
I mean they surely knew it wasn't ok by the school otherwise why read it out loud together. this is just another 15 minutes in the spotlight cry for attention - and they are getting it.

even more ridiculous to let them perform a play that already in the title has a word everyone would be bothered with. btw the fact of the matter that this gets attention and discussed, and happens in the first place, just shows that we are STILL in the dark ages (otherwise no one would be bothered)

I agree! In the past, men had ruled over women and completely dictated what they had to do. If women had never stood up for themselves and said "no", then life for us would be very different for us now.

Vagina is not a dirty word. In fact it is the correct and most tasteful word to describe that body part. It's not like the girls were saying p*ssy or c*unt. That would be a completely different story.

^ I agree but I fail to see how this play has anything to do with it.

I watched a really interesting doc on English TV last year where a well-known British feminist of the 60s/70s (the original) said that she wanted to be taken seriously at the dinner table not be treated like a child. women like this author undermine these developments bec it reduces us to ridicule (sorry I feel really strongly about this). we get education, we get jobs, we can buy houses, we HAVE the children (the power), and we run the show - so why do we feel the need to reduce ourselves to this kind of female nagging/rant?

I watched a really interesting doc on English TV last year where a well-known British feminist of the 60s/70s (the original) said that she wanted to be taken seriously at the dinner table not be treated like a child. women like this author undermine these developments bec it reduces us to ridicule (sorry I feel really strongly about this). we get education, we get jobs, we can buy houses, we HAVE the children (the power), and we run the show - so why do we feel the need to reduce ourselves to this kind of female nagging/rant?

Can you clarify what you're getting at by 'female nagging/rant'?

So by your logic, African Americans should just be happy with how they're treated too then right? I mean, African Americans aren't slaves anymore, and 40 years ago they're allowed to get an education and they can own homes, surely that means whites and black are treated exactly the same now in the United States. The NAACP should just be disbanded now-mission accomplished.

Just because minorities (meaning race & gender in this instance) have the same *basic* rights as white men hardly means there's equality. Women and minorities make less than your average white man, and things are far from equal in terms of salary, education, reproductive rights and law. The very fact that there are laws and regulations demanding that women be given access to sports (Title 6) proves this. Hell, the burden of proof in rape cases is still on the rape victim because the thought out there is still, "She must have been asking for it."

And the very fact that you refer to it as "Female nagging" goes to show, that in terms of equal rights, women still have a long way to go.

Interesting how many people are fired up about this. Me, personally, I don't think vagina is an offensive word. I also don't think God is an offensive word, but that seems to be censored in school more frequently than vagina. I wonder how many of you would feel this incensed if they replaced the readings with something from the bible and the principal told them they couldn't say God, but they still did.

Our Constitution keeps the word God in public schools because of the separation of Church and State. I have no problem with people talking about God-in a religious school where that's appropriate.

There is no separation between State and basic human biology.

^^ no no this is not about racial issue for me - sorry, that didn't even cross my mind! and I don't understand where you got that from in my post???? I think you went off topic? are you implying something about myself?

I am not from the US so I can't speak about issues there, I guess that is your issue. In fact I belong to a religious minority that gets a lot of flag and even so I believe that all the complaining is not helping. in my opinion a lot of this play is publicity making and nagging, and no, saying that does not mean I am not fighting for equality. I agree that we are not equal (yet) but IMO this play undermined our fight for equality - there are much better ways than this. Yes i am entitled to believe there is a better way and as a woman I do not need to say the word: vagina: to be equal.

I support speaking up about discrimination but it is a question of how you do it. neither did I state anywhere that in a rape case the burden of proof is on women - i have not read that anywhere, have you? but I don't think clapping for a couple of teenagers that are now in the newspaper (????) bec they said the word vagina makes me a person fighting for feminism.

as for the naggin/rant - I am sure the writer has perfectly good points but I just don't like the way she is trying to sell it - by calling the book 'vagina monologues' she has thrown us back 200 years and men are laughing at us behind our back! she basically defined us through our private parts - and I prefer to be defined by my mind.

^^ no no this is not about racial issue for me - sorry, that didn't even cross my mind! and I don't understand where you got that from in my post???? I think you went off topic? are you implying something about myself?

Sorry, I didn't realize you weren't from the U.S. I definitely wasn't implying anything about you, I was comparing the two groups & how they're still not considered equal to the general white male population in the United States.

This is the problem imo with kids today. They do things whether they're allowed or not. They were clearly told it wasn't allowed. I think they should accept the punishment. They carried out actions knowing it wasn't allowed. I'd really like to see how these girls, and others like them, fair in real life. If they ever get fried for not following ehat their boss says I wonder what they'll do?
I agree. If they are not allowed to say "scrotum" either, I don't see this as a social justice issue. As an AA, I hate seeing this situation being analogized to real issues that concern inequality and injustice. The principle's rules may be antiquated and silly, but certainly not cause enough to deliberately disobey and then complain about the punishment.