Friends and Hermes

Yup, friends and hermes don't mix :sweatdrop:
I think you gals understand what I mean...

I have friends who try to work out my household GDP by calculating the amount I spend on Hermes bags every year :hysteric: Its irritating !

What I've encountered -- mostly from a handful of women I might call acquaintances, rather than close friends -- is a rampant competitiveness to their shopping habits. I once had the misfortune of holidaying abroad with such a person, and I found that I couldn't buy a bag, or a jacket, or virtually anything without this woman turning around and attempting to "out-do" my purchases. (Which I find ridiculous behavior that I thought I'd escaped from when I left high school about a million years ago.)

I know that's not precisely what you meant, katyc, but that's a bit :hysteric: too. (although, not too bad, since at least the money she spent wasn't mine, after all)

So, no, I definitely don't share my H or any other shopping with those types. Which is sad, really, since it's much more fun to shop with people who have similar tastes. Alas! I'm a lone shopper. (But at Hermes, in my mind, you're all in there with me!)

^^^Katyc - I HATE THAT!!!:yucky: I have a few that do this, too! They ask nicely if my bag is NEW, but I know they will just turn around and snicker a little or I see their brain working overtime, but they have never been to a boutique and don't know the actual cost...so it kills them NOT TO KNOW!!

I'm glad and thankful:heart: you are all here to listen, write to, and read about!

^gina b and nhlover I soooo feel for you!!.... I unfortunately am in that same situation.
The only one I can talk to about my H obsession is my Husband (which I've got to say he's much more of a clotheshorse than I am and he actually likes checking out women's bags to see if they are authentic or not). My dad's ex girfriend was a handbag collector so I had we had many convesations about new "conquests". My dad is just clueless, he's think a paper shooping bag is chic. *rolls eyes*
Whenever I go out with certain friends I have to jot down what I wore last or they say "Ohh you got a new shirt" or "You got new bag."

So I'm reduced to wearing what I wore last time and constantly saying "oh its old..."

So far, nobody I know has a H obession coupled with a Malle and Lutens obession, but if you do PM me :smile:

What I've encountered -- mostly from a handful of women I might call acquaintances, rather than close friends -- is a rampant competitiveness to their shopping habits. I once had the misfortune of holidaying abroad with such a person, and I found that I couldn't buy a bag, or a jacket, or virtually anything without this woman turning around and attempting to "out-do" my purchases. (Which I find ridiculous behavior that I thought I'd escaped from when I left high school about a million years ago.)

I know that's not precisely what you meant, katyc, but that's a bit :hysteric: too. (although, not too bad, since at least the money she spent wasn't mine, after all)

So, no, I definitely don't share my H or any other shopping with those types. Which is sad, really, since it's much more fun to shop with people who have similar tastes. Alas! I'm a lone shopper. (But at Hermes, in my mind, you're all in there with me!)
I know what you mean. I know someone who not only has to outshop everyone, but also has to have what everyone else wants. I make a point of not shopping around these type of people.:cursing:

I know what you mean. I know someone who not only has to outshop everyone, but also has to have what everyone else wants. I make a point of not shopping around these type of people.:cursing:

I have friends like that too !
Its like having a race - whoever buys that IT item first WINS.

As if life is not stressful enough :Push: . I prefer to shop alone :wlae:

^^ OMG, that sounds awfully competitive. Thank god I don't have friends like that.

I have a friend who simply buys whatever I buy.
Its like 'if you buy that, it must be good and I must have it as well !'

She's rich, I can't stop her from buying everything I have :sweatdrop:

When we go shopping and i ask to try on a pair of jeans, she will ask for the exact same thing without even looking at others. Its terribly irritating :hysteric:

Thankfully I have another good friend who is the exact opposite, she has totally different taste so its fun shopping with her because she uses her own brains for her own style :yes:
And its great because she loves hermes too !!! And she has an amazing sense of style wiwthout having to follow anybody :lol:

Thankfully I have another good friend who is the exact opposite, she has totally different taste so its fun shopping with her because she uses her own brains for her own style :yes:
And its great because she loves hermes too !!! And she has an amazing sense of style wiwthout having to follow anybody :lol:

That is great style!

I woke up this morning and realized that I do have one very close friend I do shop with. Our tastes couldn't be more different, but we appreciate each other's style. I love shopping with her because she doesn't mind that occasionally I'll be extremely extravagant, and she says she prefers to shop with me because all of her 'friends' in NY judge her for not buying as much or as expensive as they do, but I don't judge (it's her money - she can do or not do with it as she pleases, after all). A most comfortable shopping friendship.

But really, what has the world come to when women shop like it's a contact sport?? Is it all pent-up aggression, or the fact that we didn't get all the competitive, territory-marking activities out of our systems when we were children, like little boys who rumble?

Maybe they should make boxing a mandatory sport for girls in elementary school.

That is great style!

I woke up this morning and realized that I do have one very close friend I do shop with. Our tastes couldn't be more different, but we appreciate each other's style. I love shopping with her because she doesn't mind that occasionally I'll be extremely extravagant, and she says she prefers to shop with me because all of her 'friends' in NY judge her for not buying as much or as expensive as they do, but I don't judge (it's her money - she can do or not do with it as she pleases, after all). A most comfortable shopping friendship.

But really, what has the world come to when women shop like it's a contact sport?? Is it all pent-up aggression, or the fact that we didn't get all the competitive, territory-marking activities out of our systems when we were children, like little boys who rumble?

Maybe they should make boxing a mandatory sport for girls in elementary school.
Hmmmm, I guess shopping is the female version of territory marking. Well, I do my territory marking in the office. I've scared one of the senior partners a few times myself. So no need to outshine anyone in the shopping department. I take my aggression out in the office!!!!:lol:

I used to think when my kids were older I was going to get to Boston ALONE to shop where I wanted to go, because when I go with friends, I would feel uncomfortable going into the more expensive stores to browse and possibly purchase....and now I have a purse friend I met through the PF and WE can shop together and appreciate our love of nice bags...I can't STAND people who appear to be out to just acquire bags and bags...and especially the ones who want to get THE bag first just because....what a waste!! I'm still trying to learn to love less though because I don't want a huge collection that I don't even 'know' if that makes sense!

^^ So much fun to shop with PF friends! :yes:
I only have one other outside friend who likes purses but she always makes comments about how much H bags are and tells her husband who said I'm crazy for buying something so expensive.:rolleyes: But then my DH launched into an explanation of the history of H and how they are handmade works of art. I gotta love my DH. :love:

:yes:
:lol: Do you all ever forget you're not with your friends from the PF and find yourself going on and on about a bag and then look up to see the glazed over eyes/weird looks from your non-purse loving friends? :P