Friends and Hermes

tv - ouch! wishing you a swift and smooth recovery.

i moved from a very brand-obsessed place (L.A.) and didn't yet own an H bag - just a few agendas and leather bracelets. i earned more than all of my friends and was careful not to mention what i used to spend on anything.

now that i live in Canada, and a small town at that; no one here seems to own or be (openly) aware of the brand. i bought all of my H bags since i've been outside of the U.S. and wear them without acknowledgment or approval from anyone at all. it's my little secret how much they cost, and how much pleasure their quality and beauty give to me.

it's been an interesting experience to carry these so-called status symbols in a place where that sense of status and elitism are based on very different criteria. i love having this forum as an outlet where i can share this mild obsession with all of you, and get to learn so much about the brand.

other than my husband or to anyone on this forum, i would never reveal what i pay for my H bags - the small town gossip machine would go into overdrive in their judgments and assumptions about my lifestyle and priorities. that's OK; i like that my pleasure in these bags is not contingent upon the approval or envy of those in my environment -- it's just a very personal source of enjoyment and luxury. but i can see that it's also a way for me to feel more connected to my big-city roots and its offerings, since i still kind of feel like a fish out of water around here.

no, my friends cringe whenever I talk about bags coz they think I am "possessed"... gosh, not even "obsessed" hehhe.. it is sad but the way I look at it, if they become very interested, that's another competitor for possibly the same item.. hehe...I wish they can understand but they don't.. well most of them tell me, "I can't afford those bags" and I say, "but it's so nice"... brother thinks I am nuts for liking Hermes but he does agree that they are very good products so that's good enough for me.. besides, I do not want to spend too much time with ppl who will just put down my new found love of Hermes goodies....

I'm lucky I have my SIL to fellow Hermes obsess with, but other than that, no. I have a core group of girlfriends who love nice things too, but their focus is more on clothes and bling. So there's no one to really get hard-core Hermes with.

TPF has been great for me because there's been so much to learn. Everyone really gets excited for someone else when they get a new bag.

Except for the core group of friends I mentioned earlier (all pulling serious money, more than enough to put kids through school and indulge) I tend to be a little careful about my H fixation. I've noticed pursed lips, disapproving glances, the blatant up and down look etc whenever I'm carrying H. I think there's a lot of envy out there and I don't really want to be part of it.

it's my little secret how much they cost, and how much pleasure their quality and beauty give to me.

it's just a very personal source of enjoyment and luxury. but i can see that it's also a way for me to feel more connected to my big-city roots and its offerings, since i still kind of feel like a fish out of water around here.

I like these statements! That is how I feel as well -- it is a very secret thing for me as I don't know anyone around that actually would know what these bags are (although I'm sure there are some as it is a wealthy area)...and I enjoy it solely for my love of bags and the quality and history....and love having a place to absorb all the more info! Yet when I do get together with tr444, it's the best feeling because we can chat for hours on end about all kinds of purses...and as we both agreed, we would never share the cost with our friends otherwise because they would think we were nuts - but sharing all aspects here makes it a nice place....

:sad: I have no one to talk about designer handbags with, much less Hermes. I think it's because of my age and my friends think it's ridiculous to spend more than $100 on a purse. I'm so glad I have you ladies to talk about it with ;)

my dh is terrific about listening to me, so that's one. my best friend only recently came around to being interested in my obsession/value of hermes (though she personally cannot relate, she finally said that she wouldn't spit in my eye, figuratively speaking - i hope - if i ever got a kelly), so that was nice for me. she may have regretted showing an interest though because i bombarded her with pictures and facts and details once she became open to the topic. but nothing compares to tpf because of the extent of the experiences, knowledge and ideas available here.

Unfortunately I have to keep my hermes shopping to myself, the friends I have ...most do not appreciate it, that is why I am here!

Yup, friends and hermes don't mix :sweatdrop:
I think you gals understand what I mean...

I have friends who try to work out my household GDP by calculating the amount I spend on Hermes bags every year :hysteric: Its irritating !