First Goyard.. Artois PM or St Louis

xoxo_av

Dec 19, 2015
I don’t have a local boutique and would need to ship from another state. I already have an SA but i’m debating what to get for my first Goyard purchase for everyday wear. I love the zip on the Artois but everyone seems to get the St. louis as their first piece? Also i’m in love with the Green but im worried that in a few years I won’t love it as much and that I should just get a classic colorway and since I wear scrubs to work everyday. I would love to see mod shots since there’s not so many if anyone would love to share.

Artois was my first and it's become my travel bag, I got a matching Croisiere for a set. It's like everyone thinking a classic flap is a must have... it's not. I have 5 Goyard's and still no St. Louis, my personal fave is the Anjou!
I’m totally with Swanky. My first Goyard was a Rouette, then a Artois, a plumet and an Anjou. I use the latter 3 a lot but the Anjou (in sky blue) puts a smile on my face that no other bag does! I doubt I’ll ever add a St Louis but I’d love another Anjou!

I think the two bags are quite different so it depends on what you’re looking for. The Artois pm is structured and even though I don’t have one (I used to have the mm size) I read here others have described it as giving more of a purse/handbag feel. I think it doesn’t hold nearly as much as the St. Louis pm but others who actually own the bag can chime in. The St. Louis is a soft tote that gives off a more casual/carefree vibe imo. You can put a lot in there but you are not supposed to overload it with heavy things.

I love the Goyard green! Such a lovely special shade. I think it depends on how much you will use a green bag vs a more classic color. Do you want to pick a safer classic color since it’ll be your first Goyard and you can’t see it in person before you decide or do you want to get a color that is more unusual and slightly bolder?

Reactions: xoxo_av
Artois was my first and it's become my travel bag, I got a matching Croisiere for a set. It's like everyone thinking a classic flap is a must have... it's not. I have 5 Goyard's and still no St. Louis, my personal fave is the Anjou!
What size Artois do you have and what color choice did you go with?

I think the two bags are quite different so it depends on what you’re looking for. The Artois pm is structured and even though I don’t have one (I used to have the mm size) I read here others have described it as giving more of a purse/handbag feel. I think it doesn’t hold nearly as much as the St. Louis pm but others who actually own the bag can chime in. The St. Louis is a soft tote that gives off a more casual/carefree vibe imo. You can put a lot in there but you are not supposed to overload it with heavy things.

I love the Goyard green! Such a lovely special shade. I think it depends on how much you will use a green bag vs a more classic color. Do you want to pick a safer classic color since it’ll be your first Goyard and you can’t see it in person before you decide or do you want to get a color that is more unusual and slightly bolder?
I love that it’s structured - I have to many slouchy style bags. The zipper was a win for me only because things tend to fall out of my purse whenever i’m driving (Not that i’m a reckless driver 😅) and I really like that it’s smaller than the St. Louis - I’m 5ft tall.

As for for the color, I been thinking about the green for months now and since i’m half Chinese, Green is the color of good fortunate this year (Year of the Dragon). The black is safe but again I have too many black bags and I’m also not 100% in love with the black for the Artois style but I love it for the St Louis ?

What color did you get? Would love to see pics of everyone’s Artois!
My Artois MM is black with tan trim. I love it. Initially, I bought it as a travel tote but I also use it as my winter bag. I’m 5’8” so it doesn’t overpower me. One thing you should pay attention to is the handle drop. The Artois PM, the Anjou PM and the St Louis PM have a handle drop that’s too short for me to wear with a coat over my shoulder. Keep that in mind, as well as the color choice, season wise. (My bright blue Anjou is a summer bag. No problem with the handle drop in summer.)

I think the green would be lovely.

I love that it’s structured - I have to many slouchy style bags. The zipper was a win for me only because things tend to fall out of my purse whenever i’m driving (Not that i’m a reckless driver 😅) and I really like that it’s smaller than the St. Louis - I’m 5ft tall.

As for for the color, I been thinking about the green for months now and since i’m half Chinese, Green is the color of good fortunate this year (Year of the Dragon). The black is safe but again I have too many black bags and I’m also not 100% in love with the black for the Artois style but I love it for the St Louis ?
Sounds like the green Artois pm would be the one for you!!

I guess I’m the odd one out because I have three SLs. I have one GM in the maroon color and two PMs in black and green. For me, I prefer the slouchy and casual look of the bag. The GM is used when traveling, the black during the fall winter, and the green during the spring summer. I love the green, it’s a nice vibrant color and don’t see myself getting sick of it anytime soon. I personally don’t like open bags, but with these, I usually throw a scarf/light sweater on top and it works for me. GL deciding!

I got the artois pm last year in sky blue and have rarely used it.i tried the saint louis but didnt fit well on my shoulder and i already have a neverfull as a larger bag.Maybe i will use it more in the summer.i do love the structure and quality on the artois

I purchased both an St Louis PM (grey) and Artois MM (black) at the same time in 2022. I'm a neutral lover so I stick to neutral colors. My priority was getting the Artois but I have ended up using the SL PM more since its such an easy grab and go bag. I use the Artois in the larger MM size mainly for travel. If I get a third Goyard it will likely be Artois PM or Bellechasse.

Good luck with your decision. The Artois PM is a great bag and the green is beautiful! The Artois' zipper and longer strap drop are both plusses and why I'm thinking of getting one next.